PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative Efforts

stlsaint
June 6th, 2012, 10:01 PM
There have been many talks about personnel willing to help and wanting to aid in the revival of UCE. Myself and others have made available resources and avenues for you all to do just those very things. Join the team, (which is currently a team of one...me!) We have a mailing list that has gone dead as no one responds to it anymore and we have multiple threads here on this very forum of folks stating they are willing to help and i have put out calls for people to help in this project and have not gotten one response back. Yes to answer your questions there is already a release in works.

Additions include:
Dansguardian + Privoxy for content filter
Bible based applications
Themes/Icons
Multiple applications for overall system management
IE: gnome-tweak, bleachbit, start-up manager aka bum, plus more
What is needed is artwork, wallpapers, splash images, etc.

We have threads such as: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1878684&page=4
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885790

of people stating interest. Well how about we combine efforts here and form a formal, oraganized, structured team and make this happen! Theres plenty of work for everyone to go around!:guitar:

tdlam
June 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM
as i stated in the last post which is now closed I would be interested in helping out. I have writing skills and would like to lend a hand with documentation writing or any other types of tasks that would need help.
I would also be willing to help with any other tasks the powers that be need help on.
For me I would like to see a distro that is loaded with christian apps and resources which will cater to Christians furthering and supporting their faith journey as well as be accessible and easy to use for someone who is interested in finding out what Christianity is about. I know these are general statements but I think the last distro (was it 9.0?) was a christian distro on the surface but didnt have the depth of christian apps and design I was hoping for. That's not a criticisms by any means as I enjoyed it very much and the team should be commended for their efforts and hard work.

anyway God bless you all and looking forward to seeing what is developed.

stlsaint
June 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
There is much that is able to be done. If you are interested feel free to PM and/or subscribe to the mailing list and shoot a email explaining your views and what you would like to see and help.

mailing list at: http://www.freelists.org/list/ubuntuchristianedition

KBD47
June 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I'm also interested in this and just subscribed to the mailing list. Not sure what I can do to help other than suggestions and being a beta tester. I will reiterate that I think a release for newer hardware based upon Kubuntu would be nice. I would suggest a second release based on Xubuntu or Lubuntu for older hardware, maybe even Debian based for older hardware as some issues have popped up for older hardware with ubuntu 12.04.

cortman
June 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I would be more interested in seeing the dansguardian project revived/redocumented, as to me that's the main selling point of an Ubuntu CE(Bible apps preconfigured might be nice as well)- but I like my OS's too minimal to install the full system.
But best wishes and good luck!

stlsaint
June 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I would be more interested in seeing the dansguardian project revived/redocumented, as to me that's the main selling point of an Ubuntu CE(Bible apps preconfigured might be nice as well)- but I like my OS's too minimal to install the full system.
But best wishes and good luck!

I agree DG is a major selling point for UCE and as such is a reason that took so long to release a RC. I have spoken with the lead dev of DG and he has stated that there are not many complaintes truly being brought forward with DG's current state. Feature request or bugs must be brought to light if we want to see additions to DG!

stlsaint
June 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I'm also interested in this and just subscribed to the mailing list. Not sure what I can do to help other than suggestions and being a beta tester. I will reiterate that I think a release for newer hardware based upon Kubuntu would be nice. I would suggest a second release based on Xubuntu or Lubuntu for older hardware, maybe even Debian based for older hardware as some issues have popped up for older hardware with ubuntu 12.04.

Funny you should mention that as future releases for those various environments are underway as well. But they will have to come under a different name than UCE. Also you don't have to be a programmer to help. A simple task needing attention is docs on our various applications. Some wiki work for UCE as a distro would be nice as well!

KBD47
June 7th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe a DCE (Debian Christian Edition) built on Debian Stable. When it/they OS's are released I would be happy to do a review of them on my blog. Also willing to work with someone on the documentation/wiki. But I'll need to test drive it/them so I know what I'm talking about :-)
Debian Testing (the new Debian Stable) is going into freeze this month, should probably be safe to build on by this fall/winter, and it will have 3 years support. Might be best to do an Ubuntu CE release soon, and a Debian release for older hardware later.
Just a thought.
kbd47

KBD47
June 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I searched for an Ubuntu Christian Edition web site, but it said: server not found. I think it would be helpful if there was a page to describe the purpose and reason for the UCE. A subsection describing the applications and their uses, ex-Windows users will be clueless about the apps. A subsection/wiki describing tweaks and fixes general instructions with newbies in mind.

stlsaint
June 10th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I searched for an Ubuntu Christian Edition web site, but it said: server not found. I think it would be helpful if there was a page to describe the purpose and reason for the UCE. A subsection describing the applications and their uses, ex-Windows users will be clueless about the apps. A subsection/wiki describing tweaks and fixes general instructions with newbies in mind.

Sounds like a simple task. You interested KBD47? :popcorn:

KBD47
June 10th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I'm interesting in helping. Being new to UCE I'm trying to figure it out myself :-) Is there a dedicated web site or wiki started somewhere?

stlsaint
June 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm interesting in helping. Being new to UCE I'm trying to figure it out myself :-) Is there a dedicated web site or wiki started somewhere?

Yes there is a site at ubuntuce.com (currently down i think under maintenance) and yes there is a wiki page started but as you will see it could surely use some TLC ;)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UCE

stlsaint
June 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Just making another open call to anyone interested in aiding with the project. Again people have stated interest but no efforts have been made to contact myself or jereme in regards to contributing to UCE. There is wiki work and art work still needing some attention. Just saying...:guitar:

RememberWhenItRained
June 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
(I hope this is the correct thread in which to post my interest.)

I would also like to contribute, but i don't know where and how much would be appropriate. I have been using linux for about a year and a half now. (Still learning). An IT major, but not a programmer.

I'd be willing to do anything so long as i'm capable.

tdlam
July 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
sorry i was away for a bit and yes I am still interested...I have writing skills and if the wiki needs a hand perhaps i could help there...maybe we should flesh out what we think the distro should be first(?)

dunno...

anyway...

KBD47
July 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
stlsaint, been offline for a bit, but still very interested in this project. I looked at the wiki and have given it some thought. I'm thinking it might be a a good idea to focus on the things specific to UCE rather than rehash the sort of information already available to Ubuntu users. Things like dansguardian, the bible applications, etc. Perhaps some links to other, already available Ubuntu info like how to put UCE on a usb stick, burn the iso to a cd, how to install--that info is already out there and perhaps could be linked to, but there is not a lot of info on the Christian specific apps of the OS.
I've never edited a wiki, looks a bit of special formatting. I'm willing to help, but I think some direction and specifics of what is wanted/needed would be helpful.
Thanks.
kbd47
PS--are you still planning to do a Debian edition?

stlsaint
July 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
stlsaint, been offline for a bit, but still very interested in this project. I looked at the wiki and have given it some thought. I'm thinking it might be a a good idea to focus on the things specific to UCE rather than rehash the sort of information already available to Ubuntu users. Things like dansguardian, the bible applications, etc. Perhaps some links to other, already available Ubuntu info like how to put UCE on a usb stick, burn the iso to a cd, how to install--that info is already out there and perhaps could be linked to, but there is not a lot of info on the Christian specific apps of the OS.
I've never edited a wiki, looks a bit of special formatting. I'm willing to help, but I think some direction and specifics of what is wanted/needed would be helpful.
Thanks.
kbd47
PS--are you still planning to do a Debian edition?

That is exactly what the UCE wiki was meant for. Specific things with UCE. Advanced dansguardian configurations, application questions, etc.

PS--Yes

bodhi.zazen
July 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Can help with building live iso :twisted:

Willing to teach.

Anastasis
July 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Apart from cheerleading, I do have other skilz that I should exercise. I haven't been able to be available for most of the spring and probably can only offer something by way of the art department.

However, think not that I have been wasting this time. While most here have been researching and exploring Ubuntu CE possibilities during last winter and this spring, I've been off in Debian and Gnome 3 land. Let me tell you, it's a barren waste land out there right now gentlemen. We battle the out-land savages of Gnome 3 and its ilk. These hordes of ravaging locusts who would eat up our precious resources and the land of Good.

No, my friends. It's time for me to return. It's time for me to offer something I've always dreamed of in Ubuntu CE--a good start-up sound theme. I think the time has come.

stlsaint
July 4th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Apart from cheerleading, I do have other skilz that I should exercise. I haven't been able to be available for most of the spring and probably can only offer something by way of the art department.

However, think not that I have been wasting this time. While most here have been researching and exploring Ubuntu CE possibilities during last winter and this spring, I've been off in Debian and Gnome 3 land. Let me tell you, it's a barren waste land out there right now gentlemen. We battle the out-land savages of Gnome 3 and its ilk. These hordes of ravaging locusts who would eat up our precious resources and the land of Good.

No, my friends. It's time for me to return. It's time for me to offer something I've always dreamed of in Ubuntu CE--a good start-up sound theme. I think the time has come.

LOL Awesome analogy...lets do it!