PDA

View Full Version : Ray Bradbury, RIP

t0p
June 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Ray Bradbury, one of the greatest ever science fiction authors - sneck, one of the greatest ever authors, has died at the sprightly age of 91 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/06/ray-bradbury-sci-fi-author-dies).

His most famous work is Fahrenheit 451, which depicts a world where "firemen" go around burning books. My faves are The Silver Locusts (which depicts an attempted colonisation of Mars) and The Illustrated Man (a collection of short stories) - but he wrote much more work than that. Much, much more.

I rate him alongside Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K **** as an author. The fact all three of them wrote SF is somewhat of a coincidence - sure, SF is one of my favourite genres, but Bradbury, Vonnegut and Di_ck were geniuses anyway, regardless of what genre they wrote in. Bradbury's passing has made our world so much poorer.

You'll be sorely missed, Ray. I hope we meet up one day.

CharlesA
June 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I really liked the Illustrated Man.

RIP.

wilee-nilee
June 7th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah Bradbury is up there with Vonnegut for sure, true great American writers in the league of Twain.

Social comment intertwined in their own styles, done in some cases in a rather sneaky manner. ;)

MadmanRB
June 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I thought he already died some time ago.
Still he will be missed

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2012, 12:34 AM
The movie adaptation of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" is an all time Halloween favorite of mine.

Linuxratty
June 7th, 2012, 01:33 AM
he sure was a good writer..I'm glad his books will live on...He will be remembered.