PDA

View Full Version : Configuring live Ubuntu

DrWhoFan2011
June 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
aka...I've shaken my own confidence.

I was attempting to Rescue a Windows XP Home Installation. In addition to erasing the former installation, I've also damaged the pins (to which the ribbon cable attaches) on the hard drive and on the system board.

Currently, the system isn't recognizing any of my IDE devices; but, I have high hopes for a CD-RW (to boot from) and DVD (Read Only) to watch movies from.

Where would I go to learn how 2 configure the most recent live CD of Ubuntu with the root (and other user's data) being written to a flash drive.

This is the best I have short of getting another hard drive.

The computer in question is a Dell 2350 (for which I looking for other parts).

Later today I'll to see how much RAM I have.

cortman
June 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM
aka...I've shaken my own confidence.

I was attempting to Rescue a Windows XP Home Installation. In addition to erasing the former installation, I've also damaged the pins (to which the ribbon cable attaches) on the hard drive and on the system board.

Currently, the system isn't recognizing any of my IDE devices; but, I have high hopes for a CD-RW (to boot from) and DVD (Read Only) to watch movies from.

Where would I go to learn how 2 configure the most recent live CD of Ubuntu with the root (and other user's data) being written to a flash drive.

This is the best I have short of getting another hard drive.

The computer in question is a Dell 2350 (for which I looking for other parts).

Later today I'll to see how much RAM I have.

Making a persistent USB drive is quite easy- see here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent) for more info.
Just a tip: next time start a new thread for your problem- it really doesn't relate to the OP's issue at all.
Good luck!

coffeecat
June 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
@DrWhoFan2011, I've moved your post and the reply from cortman into its own thread, and given the new thread what I hope is an appropriate title. To create your own thread, simply go to the forum or sub-forum you wish to post to and click on the "New Thread" orange button near the top left.

DrWhoFan2011
June 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
There is no option to boot from a USB drive in the BIOS that I currently have. If the BIOS can be up dated to that functionality, please tell me.

Until then, I'd have to boot using a CD and allow any read / writing to take place on the USB drive.

philinux
June 6th, 2012, 02:45 PM
There is no option to boot from a USB drive in the BIOS that I currently have. If the BIOS can be up dated to that functionality, please tell me.

Until then, I'd have to boot using a CD and allow any read / writing to take place on the USB drive.

According to this thread usb booting is possible following bios update.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1456135