PDA

View Full Version : A "wonderful" PC experience

rmcellig
June 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The other day I was on my way to the university to do my radio show. I rely on the computer that is in the studio to do my shows. They are running Windows XP Pro. I bring in my little usb drive, plug it into the computer and then launch iTunes to do my show.

This particular day, I will be prevented from doing so. When I looked at the computer, I quickly discovered that it was so infected with Trojans, Worms, Spyware, Malware, viruses you name it. I could not launch anything. Warning messages kept coming up.

It was then that I started thinking. If I were to bring in one of my Live Linux CD's I could possible boot into the live CD and then launch Banshee or whatever media player was on the CD. Next week I will be bring in some live CD's to see if this is the case. That is, if the computer is still infected.

Could this have been a viable option for me? Makes sense as far as I am concerned and also, I started thinking why I use Linux on a day to day basis.

hakermania
June 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know if this is the best idea, considering that live cds are for testing, fixing your system etc, and they are pretty slow, while you will need something quick and effective.

Why don't you suggest them to install Linux ?

List them the benefits and I think they will have to agree.

szymon_g
June 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM
maybe instead of installing new operating system, you just could get a proper sysadmin that would make sure the computer will run properly?

VTPoet
June 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't you post your brain storm on an opinionated forum where you can be scolded, validated, reprimanded and thoroughly bethumped by a dozen other gratuitous opinions. ;) And you know what opinions are like, right?

But since you asked... I think you should use a live USB stick on a USB enabled tablet running PC-BSD with which you will remote the infected PC via Satellite, bouncing the signal off the fender of a jacked Delorean. That will impress their pants off.

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/10/26/monster-delorean.jpg

snowpine
June 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I think a persistent live USB of Ubuntu would be perfect for your situation BUT be sure to get permission first. ;)