PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Triple E to the PC

Jugsins
June 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've spent the past couple days absolutely devouring information regarding the newest/greatest/latest netbooks. I want my netbook to have very solid Linux drivers. Unfortunately, the newest Cedar Trail netbook lineup from ASUS is lacking solid video drivers due to being based around a company who is not willing to share drivers/information/documentation(PowerVR). This lead to me a hard place. I really would love to have a portable linux machine. I want to be able to develop away from my desktop. I've primarily developed in a windows environment and I see this as a new challenge for me to face. I do not want to be spending more than $300 or so on this machine, unless it gives me a nice ram upgrade or something else I have deemed a necessity. There are so many different models of ASUS eeePCs, and frankly I'm a little lost as of where to go. Will the drivers for Cedar Trail graphics such as GMA3600 improve? Should I just buy an older, although slower, machine that has solid linux drivers? Maybe continue to use my desktop until the next gen of netbooks gets released and hope that they go forward with an ivy bridge GPU and linux once again has working drivers? I'm just sick of being limited to doing my developing in my room. I want to be able to explore, go outside, sit with friends, sit in a coffee shop, sit in a park, and be able to develop.

TL;DR: Best suggestions for sub-$300 ASUS eeePC with solid linux compatibility and a nice wireless card?

Jugsins
June 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Bump before work. Anyone have input?