PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sylvania Smartbook ARM-WM8650

TLScott93
June 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I have a Sylvania Smartbook ARM-WM8650 not 8505.
to keep it brief. how do I install ubuntu on it?

mastablasta
June 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM
i don't think you can. Unless there is an arm version out. btu as i know only intel and AMD are supported at the moment. but there is pllan to have it: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM

you can (maybe) install Debian on it.

TLScott93
June 4th, 2012, 07:32 AM
i don't think you can. Unless there is an arm version out. btu as i know only intel and AMD are supported at the moment. but there is pllan to have it: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM

you can (maybe) install Debian on it.
thanks i've read that other places too. thing is, i dont even know how to do that. before encountering this P.O.S. i actually thought i was tech savvy

mastablasta
June 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
get debian arm image and try to boot from it. if it boots, continue with install.

birdie1234
June 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
thanks i've read that other places too.

3rdalbum
June 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM
ARM is not like x86. With x86, any x86 operating system can be booted on any x86 CPU.

With ARM, they're actually kinda incompatible with eachother, mainly due to the other hardware that comes with a particular ARM SoC. For example, the ARM in a smartbook might not run the same code as the ARM in a different smartbook, or in a Raspberry Pi, or in an iPad.

Unfortunately this means that, unless Debian has got a specific version for the ARM SoC in your smartbook, you basically can't run it. To make matters worse, your smartbook probably has no provisions for running an operating system from anywhere other than the integrated flash memory or HDD.

If I were you, I'd probably sell it and buy something x86-based so I can run Ubuntu. But if the device is useful to you as it is, then by all means continue to use it.

mörgæs
June 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Changed the thread title to a more informative one.

TLScott93
June 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM
ARM is not like x86. With x86, any x86 operating system can be booted on any x86 CPU.

With ARM, they're actually kinda incompatible with eachother, mainly due to the other hardware that comes with a particular ARM SoC. For example, the ARM in a smartbook might not run the same code as the ARM in a different smartbook, or in a Raspberry Pi, or in an iPad.

Unfortunately this means that, unless Debian has got a specific version for the ARM SoC in your smartbook, you basically can't run it. To make matters worse, your smartbook probably has no provisions for running an operating system from anywhere other than the integrated flash memory or HDD.

If I were you, I'd probably sell it and buy something x86-based so I can run Ubuntu. But if the device is useful to you as it is, then by all means continue to use it.

well that sucks. should've known it was too good to be true.

ultrasquid
July 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM
No need to get down in the mouth just yet... I just bought one of these off newegg for $52 shipped and you do have some options.

Do a search for "wm8650-Angstrom-Gnome-v2.tar.bz2" make a 50 mb fat 32 partition on a a sd card and format the rest ext2. Extract the files from the fat archive to the fat partition and the ext2 archive to the ext2 partition. Stick the sd card in the machine and power it on :) BTW, it comes with doom installed

You might also want to look at uberoid for the wm8650. I plan on giving that a try along with debian tonight. The embeded windows this thing comes with inhales vigorously.