PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sony Vaio Brightness

Aapcosta
June 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi,

first of all sorry if the answer to my question I'm gonna submit.

I recently installed ubuntu 12.04(64 bit) on my Sony Vaio, almost everything is working as intended. But I can't adjust the brightness on my laptop( a necessity to save power). When using the fn keys in combination with f5 and f6 I can see the adjustment bubble but the brightness doesn't changes. Where when adjust my volume everything works as intended.

I've tried the following two "solutions" I've found on the forums. None of them worked.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
And then find the Section "Device" and add the bold line.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

1. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
2. Change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" into
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
3. sudo update-grub
4. Restart your linux

I've a Sony Vaio with i3 processor, no graphics card, but an integrated graphic chip (sandybridge).

It's driving me nuts that I can't find a working solution for this. I hope anyone of the ubuntu community can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Redblade20XX
June 4th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Instead of in the second method

acpi_osi=Linux

Try,

acpi_backlight=vendor

-Red

Aapcosta
June 4th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Changing:

acpi_osi=Linux for acpi_backlight=vendor

sadly didn't worked.

Thanks anyways for the help

agindre
June 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Have you tried this solution : http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/wiki/NVIDIASetup ?

Power Management section

cosmicbuff
June 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am not running an ubuntu install right now, but I think the basics are the same,
I have VPCEG25EN , its a core i3 2330M with integrated intel HD graphics , it doesnt have nVIDIA card.

I was unlucky with (acpi...=vendor and acpi....=linux) at boot.

So any other methods now..?

Redblade20XX
June 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
I am not running an ubuntu install right now, but I think the basics are the same,
I have VPCEG25EN , its a core i3 2330M with integrated intel HD graphics , it doesnt have nVIDIA card.

I was unlucky with (acpi...=vendor and acpi....=linux) at boot.

So any other methods now..?

Do you want to control the brightness or automatically set it to the lowest value on boot?

-Red

cosmicbuff
June 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Do you want to control the brightness or automatically set it to the lowest value on boot?

-Red
I want to control brightness and set brightness levels to my profiles , because I use them a lot ,.
any solutions?

cosmicbuff
June 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Phew !

Managed a half baked method

I did a root edit to

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness It defaults value at 4882

I changed it to 2441 and saved changes , Voila my brightness reduced to half,, I am ok with it till a better method comes out , till then i will keep editing..

vaio is making it difficult..