PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live?

Anthem
June 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Title says it all. This will help us get a feel for who's using Ubuntu.

EDIT: I thought of this because of the "why do you assume everyone's an American" thread, but it also helps give a feel for internationalization.

Rui Pais
June 18th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Hi, a simple way is just looking at the maps of users. (http://ubuntuforums.org/worldmap.php)

Statistics of large numbers nevers fails. We are mostly americans and europeans.

Bou
June 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi, a simple way is just looking at the maps of users. (http://ubuntuforums.org/worldmap.php)

Statistics of large numbers nevers fails. We are mostly americans and europeans.

I live in Spain.

Wow I didn't expect so many users in Europe.

weatherman
June 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I thought of this because of the "why do you assume everyone's an American" thread, but it also helps give a feel for internationalization.
could you link the 3d (couldn't find it). just curious, tnx.

Anthem
June 18th, 2006, 11:04 PM
could you link the 3d (couldn't find it). just curious, tnx.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199125

nbound
June 19th, 2006, 03:51 AM

So few Aussies :(

O well we do pretty well for ~20 million people :D

merlyn
June 19th, 2006, 04:53 AM
So few Aussies :(

O well we do pretty well for ~20 million people :D

G'day mate!

Note, how these Americans haven't got a clue how to spell. :wink:

Check out 'Internationalisation', in the original post. :rolleyes:

nbound
June 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Check out 'Internationalisation', in the original post.

The 'z' burns my eyes :p

woedend
June 19th, 2006, 05:36 AM
fear not, us stupid americans never use words that big!

vialick
June 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
G'day mate!

*covers eyes* "the goggles, they do nothing"

aussie_user_count ++;

vvlist
June 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Thats so awesome I put it in my sig.:D

viciouslime
June 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM
G'day mate!

:p he he he

You know, I could let them off with their silly spellings IF they didn't keep calling American English, English. In so many pieces of software, websites etc. the language choices are English, or British English. Why do they think that their language is English and mine is British English!? I am English, surely I speak English and Americans speak American English!

Rui Pais
June 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I live in Spain.

Wow I didn't expect so many users in Europe.

well essencially those graphics will say more about richness distribution in the world (much more people from africa, south america and asia have other question on they mind then which OS use in they computers :(, to put it light, then europeans and north-americans)

The large numbers of european was, i think, cause Ubuntu, with the meanning of its name, the deep human connotation and a certain african association (both too left wing?), may be more appealing to the average european then the average american, the last usually more indiferent, when not wary, of things that happen in other parts of the world.
(flames out please, i said average european and average american)

weatherman
June 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
well essencially those graphics will say more about richness distribution in the world (much more people from africa, south america and asia have other question on they mind then which OS use in they computers :(, to put it light, then europeans and north-americans)

The large numbers of european was, i think, cause Ubuntu, with the meanning of its name, the deep human connotation and a certain african association (both too left wing?), may be more appealing to the average european then the average american, the last usually more indiferent, when not wary, of things that happen in other parts of the world.
(flames out please, i said average european and average american)
I'd rather say linux is generally more used in europe. Also a lot of the developers are stationed in europe.

Paloseco
June 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'd rather say linux is generally more used in europe. Also a lot of the developers are stationed in europe.
On the other hand I think that Mac OSX for example, is mostly used in the United States. Here you can barely find Apple shops.

caryb
June 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Go the Aussies!
In my circle of friends we are addopting Ubuntu in a big way! I have 3 Dapper servers at work!!

bluenova
June 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM
:p he he he

You know, I could let them off with their silly spellings IF they didn't keep calling American English, English. In so many pieces of software, websites etc. the language choices are English, or British English. Why do they think that their language is English and mine is British English!? I am English, surely I speak English and Americans speak American English!
I quite agree, in South Africa they speak Afrikaans not Suid-Afrikaan Nederlands, just as Americans speak American not English, there are many words and spellings which are different between English and American..

woedend
June 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
just think of english as debian and american english as ubuntu...
we took your language, dumbed it down, and added a lot of cool stuff..

Rui Pais
June 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'd rather say linux is generally more used in europe.
yes, thats what i was saying, apparently not to well... ;)

henriquemaia
June 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Please don't get me wrong, but isn't this a more Ubuntu Cafe thread? This is a development forum.

I state again, don't get me wrong - I like reading these threads. But this is not what I'm expecting to find on this forum.

Terracotta
June 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Lol, nice defence :), I suppose you get a lot of hard jokes around here as an american? ;).

PS: is that what you're nickname stands for? :-)

PPS: Belgian Kubuntu-user here. Go Europe :p.

Anthem
June 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Please don't get me wrong, but isn't this a more Ubuntu Cafe thread? This is a development forum.

I state again, don't get me wrong - I like reading these threads. But this is not what I'm expecting to find on this forum.
You may be right. I started it in direct response to the "not everybody is an American" post in the other thread. I was curious to see how the numbers played out.

So it really is relevant, in my opinion anyway. But I won't be offended if the mods move it to the cafe.

marcog
June 19th, 2006, 10:25 PM
The first African to vote in the poll. And I thought with Ubuntu being developed by a South African we would have more of a showing. Interesting...

nbound
June 20th, 2006, 03:32 AM
The first African to vote in the poll. And I thought with Ubuntu being developed by a South African we would have more of a showing. Interesting...

If this was moved to the Ubuntu Cafe you probably would get a better showing. I think we all would... GO AUSTRALIA!!!!

Anthem
June 20th, 2006, 04:20 AM
If this was moved to the Ubuntu Cafe you probably would get a better showing. I think we all would... GO AUSTRALIA!!!!
Except I don't go to the cafe... I'm only interested in Edgy Eft development.

What I find interesting is the number of broad-minded Europeans that feel the need to take potshots at Americans, while we Americans are quietly taking the high road and ignoring them. :-\"

:D

YourDoom123
June 20th, 2006, 04:39 AM
what would the world do without us? ;-P

alaaji
June 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I quite agree, in South Africa they speak Afrikaans not Suid-Afrikaan Nederlands, just as Americans speak American not English, there are many words and spellings which are different between English and American..

Well, my nationality is American but I do speak English although it may be a variant of English. I happen to live/work in Morocco but Moroccans don't speak Morroccan, they speak Moroccan Arabic better known as Dharija. French happens to be the number 2 national language here but nobody ever says that they speak Moroccan French, just French. Although, I am sure that there are plenty of French who think all of these former colonies don't speak French as well as they do. Just as the citizens of Great Britain think we Americans don't speak English as well as they. Language is a funny thing. :rolleyes:

NikoC
June 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Europe --> Belgium (country) --> Antwerp (city)

Ak37
June 20th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Indonesian Ubuntu user reporting.
I was hoping to see more Asian...

beercz
June 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM
UK, England actually. And I speak English (real English!) :D

TeeAhr1
June 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
G'day mate!

Say the silly-*** people with all their extra vowels. It's spelled C-O-L-O-R. H-O-N-O-R. F-L-A-V-O-R. Simplify, people! :-\"

bruce89
June 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
There are so many europeans at the moment, because it is early in the day in the americas.

Say the silly-*** people with all their extra vowels. It's spelled C-O-L-O-R. H-O-N-O-R. F-L-A-V-O-R. Simplify, people! :-\"
Say the silly people who take vowels out because they would forget otherwise.

Christmas
June 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Bucharest, Romania here. (That's in Europe for the ones that does not know)

viciouslime
June 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Ahhh, but, that's not simplified because you pronounce them incorrectly too :p

Seriously though, as someone earlier said, language really is a strange, but beautiful thing. If I had my way we would all speak German, it's SO much better than English (and FAR FAR better than American English :p).

Mr_J_
June 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Portugal...

tribaal
June 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Switzerland :)

Home of the cheese and watches.

- trib'

Azrael
June 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Surprising. More Europeans than the rest of the world combined with North America being only at 28%.

Miguel
June 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Spain, Europe.

I speak spanish, basque and... spanish english. You know, the kind of english that marks me as spanish as soon as I say "Hello" or "Good Morning" (pronouced "jelou" and "gud morrrrning")

On a sidenote, spanish is called "espa˝ol" (spanish) and "castellano" (castilian), depending on where you are from. There is also a variant of spanish, "sefardita", talked by the jews thrown off the iberian peninsula in 1492 (for not converting to christianism). If you are wondering, spanish speaking people from America don't have neither different spelling nor pronusiation (they have a different accent though). They do use several different words and mean different things with the same word.

richbarna
July 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm English but live in Barcelona, and I was surprised at how many european users there are too, I suppose it's because computer use has a longer history in the US so English is the international language of computing too. I tried some of the Spanish forums for Ubuntu but the servers were slow and the users weren't as knowledgable as on this forum.

lazyd2
July 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Athens, Greece

Miguel
July 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I tried some of the Spanish forums for Ubuntu but the servers were slow and the users weren't as knowledgable as on this forum.

This might be because the most knowledgeable spanish speaking ubuntu folks wander around the enlish forums. I mean, most computer programs have been basically english-only for a long time. Most science is published in english. It seems logical to me that nearly all of the technically skilled people at least read/write english.

I have never been in the spanish ubuntu forums. Basically, I feel comfortable here. I also lurk a few Formula-1 forums - in english (safe one exception). I used to play Falcon 4.0 (flight sim) and the forums I posted in were... english speaking (although the master of my favourite one was German). If that isn't enough, more than half of my physics books are in english.

digTro
July 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
India.

ubuntu_demon
July 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Europe, the Netherlands.

Who's from the netherlands ?
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27437

TecnoVM64
July 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Valencia, Carabobo State
that's located in
Venezuela :D

Dr. Falken
July 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Valencia, Carabobo State
that's located in
Venezuela :D
south_americans++;

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

stricevics
July 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM
Title says it all. This will help us get a feel for who's using Ubuntu.

EDIT: I thought of this because of the "why do you assume everyone's an American" thread, but it also helps give a feel for internationalization.

Hmm, I guess you have actually asked two different questions here:

1. Title of the thread: "Where do you live"
2. Title of the poll: "Which continent is your home country in?".

In my case, I live in D.C. but my home country is Serbia.

Just an observation. :)

Soarer
December 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
As I understand it. American English is less changed than British English from the common lanuguage spoken by both countries when they were one country.

So you could argue that American English is more correct :)

plb
December 25th, 2006, 04:15 PM

debian is an American distro though (well that is where it originated anyway):)

azkehmm
December 25th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Europe ---> Denmark (it's a country... not the capital of Ikea) ---> ┼rhus (town... second biggest one in Denmark (which still isn't the capital of Ikea) with 300K inhabitants). And when it comes to language I speak Danish, English, some german and a wee tad french :)

beefcurry
July 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I say the lack of Asian users are problely due to a lack of a good input method. SCIM just dosnt cut it for most inputting chinese (from my own experience), too bad Microsoft is Still king when it comes to CJK support.

rax_m
July 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM

+1 for (South) Africans !

Sad that so few of us on here..

-random
March 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Whoah i also expected a lot more of us with 2 update servers in s.a. , i'm guessing there are 3 users on the forum that aren't servers on this poll?? lol :Dx

lary
March 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Athens,Greece ....16 ░C

Forrest Gumpp
March 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
I live in Australia.

It is interesting to note the difference one word in a question can apparently make to the responses to a poll. This thread's poll, with 385 responses over an extended period, asks 'where do you live?'. Another more recently posted poll, having a sample size of only 56 responses, asks 'where are you from?'.

The latter thread, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=709729&page=2 has been closed within the last few hours by moderators on account of its similarity in subject to this thread, which is quite understandable.

What is interesting is the disparity in results shown by the two polls. This thread's poll shows a much greater proportion of respondents come from Europe than in the other poll. Both polls have run over the full day cycle more than once, so they should not have been skewed by time differences operating to exclude any particular group of potential respondents. I wonder why the difference?

I'm interested in this demographic among Forum members online, as opposed to the demographic of Forum members registered, in connection with my proposal of a 'Thanks Bank", see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=705814&page=2

Does anyone have any explanation?

Lord DarkPat
March 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Kuwait, bloody hot(and cold) place. Tech-wise, same leagues as england.
Goes to 55 C easily in summer and -5 in winter. Man you just fry up in summer!

popch
March 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Does anyone have any explanation?

I do not. However, one of the polls ran for roughly one and a half year, the other one for something like two days. You might expect some demographical differences when varying the time scale by two orders of magnitude in a population which grows quite quickly.

Redrazor39
March 2nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
The 'z' burns my eyes :p
actually, that's the British way of spelling it. In the U.S., we spell it with a "z"

popch
March 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
fear not, us stupid americans never use words that big!

That's why they spell it i18n, I suppose.

vishzilla
March 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
I wish UF had a Demographics feature. It will be interactive and fun!

Iam138
March 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
In a van down by the river. That wasn't one of the choices though so I picked N.America.

Runn3r.cze
March 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
europe, czech republic

xc3RnbFO8P
March 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
In a van down by the river. That wasn't one of the choices though so I picked N.America.

How do you connect to the internet?

Iam138
March 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
How do you connect to the internet?

I'm sorry but that's top-secret information.

xc3RnbFO8P
March 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry but that's top-secret information.

:lolflag:

JohnyN
March 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Central Europe, Slovakia, small city called Svit (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=sk&geocode=&q=svit&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=64.241198,113.730469&ie=UTF8&ll=49.781264,20.214844&spn=13.372826,28.432617&t=h&z=5&iwloc=addr) on the north of the country. :)

billgoldberg
March 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Europe -> belgium -> bruges

Bit to much tourists here, but a nice place to live.

cookieforyou
March 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
South Africa

Language - South African English (which is more like UK English than US English)

Keyboard - US (We use the '$' more than the 'pound')

Forrest Gumpp
March 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
popch made a reference,in post # 56 to a rapidly growing population. I assume by 'population' was meant the number of Ubuntu users using the Forums at any given time.

Given that the poll results at the top of this thread have been accumulating for around 18 months, whereas those of the now locked thread were accumulated more recently over a short time interval, should we conclude that there has been a dramatic increase in the uptake of Ubuntu in North America over recent months?

The poll in the closed thread shows approximately equal numbers of Ubuntu users from Europe and North America.

Just wondering.

Nevon
March 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Europe, Sweden, Sundsvall.

Dennis
March 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
In the study mostly, here. :)

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.558388&lon=1.714769&z=20&r=0&src=msa

balcis
March 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
loves from istanbul, turkey; the european side of the bosphorus :guitar:

dynamethod
March 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
wheres New Zealand in the poll?

achromic
March 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Sunny England :grin:

kellemes
March 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Windy Amsterdam.

hoagie
March 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Sunny Cyprus

Athens, Greece
Έλα ρε πατρίδα!

Yay I knew I wasn't the only Greek in these forums.

koleoptero
March 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Sunny Cyprus

Έλα ρε πατρίδα!

Yay I knew I wasn't the only Greek in these forums.

Όχι δεν είσαι. :)

Athens, Greece here too.

madmetal
June 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
Όχι δεν είσαι. :)

Athens, Greece here too.

be serious :)

Zeotronic
June 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Ohio, America... nothing special (but I suppose it never is when you've lived there all your life).

doorknob60
June 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
North America, more specifically USA :KS

Stu09
June 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Another Aussie here B-)

ad_267
June 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
No New Zealand! And no I refuse to pick Australia. If you change Australia to Australasia, Oceania or Pacific or add a new option then I will answer.

divague
June 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
La Paz, Bolivia

perlluver
June 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM
New Castle, Pennsylvania. I know, no one has ever heard of it.

bufsabre666
June 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
milky way->inner planets->earth->western hemisphere->nother hemisphere->north america->united states->new england->new york->upstate new york-> wester new york->erie county->buffalo->south buffalo->*******-> /home

DougieFresh4U
June 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM
I transplanted to Rochester, New York but I am origannally from Orlando. Florida. (I don't recall why???) ](*,)

plb
June 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Staten Island, NY...the often forgotten 5th borough of NYC lol