PDA

View Full Version : okay...

Caligula
June 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
After a few weeks of using Debian, after ubuntu, I found pros and cons in both of them, obviously, here's a few major differences I noticed.

(I'm talking about the lot, stable,testing and unstable..)

1. No "standard" debian.
While in ubuntu you download the official CD, install it, and get a gnome desktop with all the tools you need, in debian you need to do it for yourself. You can choose "Desktop machine" in the installation, but in my experience that doesn't work very well, X is'nt configure properly, half the stuff not working like you want it to, and of course, you get KDE AND Gnome....](*,)

This was a problem when I wanted a "normal" installation, there is no such thing.

2. General feel.
After a few days of using debian I couldn't help but get a flashback to the first time I used KDE. In the meaning that like in Gnome, stuff in ubuntu works, just works, and walways(nearly..) works.
While obviously it's possible to make debian work for you, and more so than ubuntu, it's more complicated.
For example, for a few days I got these weird apt errors, about a missing gpg key, stuff like that just doesn't happen in ubuntu.

3. Artwork.
That's not an important thing, but it does matter...
There's no debian artwork, you get the DE's defaults. While that can be nice, to know they don't shove their logo in your face everywhere, I feel that when a person tries a new distro, he wants to see some signs that it's the distro he installed...

oh, and about that, after a few days I couldn't resist and downloaded the ubuntulooks-artpack, now everything here looks just like in ubuntu... great work from whoever is responsible for the human theme...

Even after all that, I stay with debian(sid), mainly because it's a totaly non-commerocal distro and because I learn more using it.
But I still reccomend ubuntu to everyone I know... :D

what do people here who used debian think?

woedend
June 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I think debian is a great idea and OS and use it occasionally, but the speed at which they move is embarassing. Gnome 2.14 isn't even done yet in unstable...how long's that been? Xorg is a mess as well.

prizrak
June 18th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I had gpg key errors in Breezy. Debian is great but it is not for newbies it requires a lot of work but can be tweaked to scream on just about anything.

woedend
June 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM
in what way is debian a lot of work?
not being nitpicky, just curious...i found it as easy as ubuntu.

raublekick
June 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM
i see debian as a sort of standard linux distro. there are so many debian based distros, but without that solid debian foundation they wouldn't be as good. there aren't nearly as many red hat/fedora, slackware, suse, and mandriva based distros.

debian is just a solid base with which other distros can work.