PDA

View Full Version : Open Source...

TheMTtakeover
May 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I really like the open source model but do you think it hinders growth?

The only reason I ask is because with open source software it usually tries to accomplish what proprietary software already does but it wants to offer it for free.

If all software was open source would be continuos growth or would it be more slug-ish. I know that know one has the correct answers just curious to hear your thoughts on how open source could sustain itself and afford continuos innovation.

Please I am not saying at all that I think open source is flawed or not good software. I'm just trying to understand how they can afford to continue development and such.

Lyfang
May 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Open Source often respects users freedom. How can this slow down development of software?

not found
May 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM
The only reason I ask is because with open source software it usually tries to accomplish what proprietary software already does but it wants to offer it for free.

Here is the first flaw in your thinking.

Some light reading for you - http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/

MisterGaribaldi
May 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Some light reading for you

Light? LIGHT?!?!? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

This totally made me LOL, IRL. Incidentally, not found, it is an excellent argument for F/OSS. I'm not saying anything against that.

Now, all that being said, I think what we generally see today is that the more serious projects wind up being "funded", after a fashion, by companies of all sizes, simply because they recognize the benefit and value of having highly-specialized tools of all sorts available as practically off-the-shelf. Google, Earthlink, Gaggle, IBM, and a whole host of other companies out there contribute to the open-source movement.

The only thing I would say negative about the "bazaar" end of things is that you get this whole "herding cats" problem when it comes to producing software at-large, simply because lots of software desired by individuals (such as me, btw) doesn't get produced, or is lacking in various ways and there is this attitude fostered of "written to scratch my itch" we wind up finding a lot of people (such as me, again) who paradoxically can't justify using Linux on the desktop because there's no compelling software for me to do so.

I'm not sure how this can be corrected, but I sure wish it was because, in my heart of hearts, I'd sure love to use nothing but F/OSS software on a F/OSS OS.

not found
May 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Light? LIGHT?!?!? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

It has been ages since I read it, perhaps time for me to do it again now that I have experienced a bit more of it first hand :)

KiwiNZ
May 30th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Open source does not hinder growth, attitudes do.

TheMTtakeover
May 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Open Source often respects users freedom. How can this slow down development of software?
I'm not saying it does. I was asking because I don't know.
My thinking though is that a lot of open source projects are struggling for resources and they would be able to move forward a lot faster if they charged money and could pay for things to get done when the community isn't or isn't able to help in a certain area.

MisterGaribaldi
May 31st, 2012, 01:40 AM
In some cases, projects will ask for donations of money and/or equipment. But what KiwiNZ said is correct: it's the attitudes which do the hindering.

overdrank
May 31st, 2012, 01:52 AM
Moved to Recurring Discussions

Paqman
May 31st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Growth of who? Companies that use open source don't find it a hinderance to growth. Google, Amazon, etc are plenty big.

If you mean growth of the organisation that develops the code then that's arguable. If Apache wasn't open source it wouldn't be so widely deployed, and Apache Inc wouldn't necessarily be a big company. Would Mozilla Inc be huge if they guarded Firefox jealously? I don't think so, in fact I think they'd never have been able to compete with IE at all.

If you've got a good product then open source can massively accelerate its expansion and adoption (good examples are Linux, Apache, MySQL and Firefox). The trick then is to monetise that user base, which companies like Red Hat and formerly MySQL AB seem to have managed to do very nicely.