PDA

View Full Version : bye-bye GDocs?

engine
May 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Just checked the "GDocs soon moving to Google Drive" link when I went to update my timesheet. "Your information available everywhere on PC, Mac or Chrome".
Well, ain't that nice!

(fwiw, PC stands for "personal computer", not "personal computer running a specific operating system")

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
What exactly is your problem? It's not clear from your post. I've been using GDocs before and have "seamlessly" been moved to GDrive.

mrgs
May 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Do you have problems accessing Google Drive using Chromium on Buntu?

zombifier25
May 30th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Big Brother issues I see...

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Do you have problems accessing Google Drive using Chromium on Buntu?
I can access Google Drive via the latest Chrome stable on Ubuntu 12.04.

Since you mentioned Chromium, it may be worth looking at:
Google Docs supports the two latest versions of the following browsers.
(http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37560)

MisterGaribaldi
May 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hmm... So, I take this to mean Google is somehow not going to support people using Google Docs in Linux *other* than if they're running Chrome? How is that even possible, short of actively filtering and then *denying* service based on responses to host OS queries?

And yeah, the term "PC" used to apply to then-termed "IBM PCs/IBM PC Compatibles", as opposed (at the time) to Commodore 64s/128s, Timex Sinclairs, Apple II/IIe/IIc/etc., Macintosh, Atari ST, Amiga, etc., etc. Eventually, as all the other companies and their products failed, and as the industry produced more and more companies which produced just x88 and then x86-based systems, the phrase "Macs and PCs" became about "Apple" and "computer makers *other* than Apple". However, given that the term "PC" did originally stand for "Personal Computer" as coined by IBM, and given the fact that, specialized systems aside, there basically aren't any non-x86 systems being built anymore, that phrase really doesn't mean very much any more.

Given the transition from traditional Macintosh motherboard designs to CHRP, then to PREP, then ultimately to "NewWorldROM"-based systems, and ultimately to Intel-based, EFI-using designs, and Apple no longer meaningfully "restricting" the installation of any "x86 compatible" OS on it, Macs are now in every sense simply "Personal Computers".

Which essentially means we're only usefully talking about operating systems as platforms, which therefore means, if what the OP said is actually accurate, OS-level-based discrimination being practiced by Google. If that's true, it not only is stupid on Google's part, but it might even be wrong enough to qualify as "malicious".

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Did you get a chance to look at the link I provided?

MisterGaribaldi
May 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Did you get a chance to look at the link I provided?

I did. I was simply commenting on the points raised initially by the OP.

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I did. I was simply commenting on the points raised initially by the OP.
I asked because I don't see how this follows: "Hmm... So, I take this to mean Google is somehow not going to support people using Google Docs in Linux *other* than if they're running Chrome?".

They are supporting other browsers. I have used Google Drive with Firefox.

I'm not at all sure what points OP was trying to raise. Anyway, this is the Cafe section so ;)

MisterGaribaldi
May 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
@vasa1, I think you and I are in agreement here. This isn't really an OS-level issue. If anything, it's a browser-level one.

smellyman
May 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM
The more you can dump "the use everything google" mentality the better

Primefalcon
May 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM
The more you can dump "the use everything google" mentality the better
harder said than done without cutting off your nose.... g search rocks, g+ rocks, gmail rocks, docs rock for collaborative editing at the same time! and not to forget how awesome maps are.....

the drive solution is the only solution not better than most other places, up to 32g free at dropbox beats the hell out of a 5G gDrive

vasa1
May 31st, 2012, 06:12 AM
But if you have more than one Google account you can get more space that way ;)
Bit inconvenient but worth mentioning :)

Primefalcon
May 31st, 2012, 06:17 AM
But if you have more than one Google account you can get more space that way ;)
Bit inconvenient but worth mentioning :)
have multiple email accounts? create multiple dropbox accounts and link one to each account on your computer, use a script to auto log into to each account on boot using standard input.... then you can just create symbolic links in your hope folder to allow you o easily jump between the synced folders...

be a pain to set up sure a little but.... meh more convenient that using multiple gdrive accounts all the time.

frankly the one dropbox account does me just fine :-)

Primefalcon
May 31st, 2012, 06:25 AM
what'd be even better would be if you could create a virtual drive or partition that could span these folder.... wonder if that's possible....

Paqman
May 31st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Still no word from the OP about exactly what their point was I see.

vasa1
May 31st, 2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe they got him (or her) ???

Primefalcon
May 31st, 2012, 08:33 AM
http://gothamist.com/attachments/garth/201110_hitman.jpg

And the google spooks have hit!

smellyman
May 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
harder said than done without cutting off your nose.... g search rocks, g+ rocks, gmail rocks, docs rock for collaborative editing at the same time! and not to forget how awesome maps are.....

the drive solution is the only solution not better than most other places, up to 32g free at dropbox beats the hell out of a 5G gDrive

meh. I use search if duck duck go fails me.

overcast
May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM

Not true. The search these days have a lot of issues. Lot of useless results and it hardly rocks for me. Well gmail is good like any other mail program, never had use of it for the features it is being praised. as for docs and collabrative editing, using zohodocs for years and these all features are already there.

Simian Man
May 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM
This is a complete non-issue. You can use Google Drive the same way you used to use Google Docs. Now you can also use it to store arbitrary files like Dropbox. The web client is available everywhere. There are desktop clients for Windows and Mac with a Linux one in the works.

Move along.

Paqman
May 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM
This is a complete non-issue. You can use Google Drive the same way you used to use Google Docs. Now you can also use it to store arbitrary files like Dropbox. The web client is available everywhere. There are desktop clients for Windows and Mac with a Linux one in the works.

Move along.

Exactly, although it was hard to grasp exactly what the OPs actual issue was. Given that it seems to have been a drive-by post I guess we'll never know.

mrgs
May 31st, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yes, let's close this one for now.