PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to change default boot parameters to boot correctly?

ubuntuman001
May 29th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Just wondering how many people have to do this. I'm talking about when you edit the kernel boot line in grub and you pass a parameter such as acpi=force or something.

I myself have to, the best parameter I've found so far for my configuration is acpi_backlight=vendor, which fixes my boot, suspend/resume, and wireless issues.

jonedney
May 30th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Nothing to edit; run straight Ubuntu 12.04 :)

Bachstelze
May 30th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Haven't had to do that since last century...

zombifier25
May 30th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Maybe someone with laptops that are not certified to run with Ubuntu may have to, but I own a good old (literally old, as in 5 years old) desktop.

deadflowr
May 30th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I've never had to do that. However, I do have to set the nomodeset option whenever booting into a live CD on my father's HP.

Paqman
May 30th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Haven't had to do that since last century...

^ This.

ACPI used to be a pain, lots of mobos would require twiddling to get them to play properly, but there's been a massive improvement over the last few years.

In fact hardware support in general has got immensely better. We used to have endless problems with ACPI, sound, wifi, etc. But these days it's pretty sorted.

ubuntuman001
May 30th, 2012, 07:44 AM
^ This.

ACPI used to be a pain, lots of mobos would require twiddling to get them to play properly, but there's been a massive improvement over the last few years.

In fact hardware support in general has got immensely better. We used to have endless problems with ACPI, sound, wifi, etc. But these days it's pretty sorted.

Not me :(

Paqman
May 30th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Not me :(

Well, I do wonder if the fact I seem to have little trouble these days is somewhat due to the fact that I wouldn't ever buy hardware that I thought didn't work well...

JDShu
May 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM
My old Samsung Q310 can't run 64bit operating systems without disabling acpi in the bootloader. Not OS specific though as I've seen forum posts by people trying to install 64bit Windows on it have the same problem. Samsung just doesn't support it in the BIOS apparently.

ubuntuman001
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Well, I do wonder if the fact I seem to have little trouble these days is somewhat due to the fact that I wouldn't ever buy hardware that I thought didn't work well...

yup, I'm usually more careful, I guess I just didn't figure that an all intel lappy (i3 and intel HD graphics) would ever give me any problems, but oh well, I found a solution :) (I edited my first post)

ssam
May 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM
yes, lenovo ideapad S12 needs nolapic_timer otherwise it will occasionally freeze until you press a key or move the touchpad. (i have not tried ubuntu 12.04 on it yet, but fedora 17 still has the issue)

ubuntuman001
June 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
bump

Copper Bezel
June 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
No. I did briefly experience the 3.0 power regression bug (for me, it caused a serious heat issue) and need to add that pcie_aspm=force bit, but that was fixed rather quickly.

wilee-nilee
June 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm lucky all my computers run with a stock cd boot or install.

On is a toshiba laptop that has a whole bunch of additional drivers needed but Ubuntu sees these and with one click it runs great.

phibxr
June 6th, 2012, 09:34 PM
The last time I had to change my boot parameters to be able to boot correctly must have been around 2003.

I actually think I had to change them to avoid random system freezes around 2007-2008, due to bad support from a motherboard manufacturer, but since then I've been able to run with the default values. :)

scouser73
June 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Never had to do that.