PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't ping in or out

scovilletech
May 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I have just installed a setup of Ubuntu 11.10 server and can't ping in or out. The setup went fine and grabbed stuff from the web and I can ping the server when it is booting up until it gets to the logon prompt. Obviously it's a service of some kind. I have disabled ufw by typing sudo ufw disable, but that didn't do it. Any ideas? The ip is setup statically.

spynappels
May 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
What do you get when you do the following:

ping 127.0.0.1

Please also post the results of /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf

stmiller
May 30th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Is this a virtual machine?

robgr85
May 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Right now I am out of ubuntu OS so I can not check ufw disable function, but if You would want to disable it ultimately try using chkconfig ufw off command.

Is the network properly configured for manual IP config? Is dhclient3 service running (I think that it may causing Your problems)? Have You tried to disable it and restart network (service networking restart)?

Tell us me what is route -rn output? Have You done some changes for hardening of Your OS (modyfied iptables etc)?

rds529
May 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Can you ping successfully if you allow it to receive an IP address from DHCP?

pctx
May 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi,

I have just installed a setup of Ubuntu 11.10 server and can't ping in or out. The setup went fine and grabbed stuff from the web and I can ping the server when it is booting up until it gets to the logon prompt. Obviously it's a service of some kind. I have disabled ufw by typing sudo ufw disable, but that didn't do it. Any ideas? The ip is setup statically.
Couple of things:
Do an:

ifconfigCopy and paste that back into this thread. (Omitting your MAC address for security purposes)

As some mentioned:

ping localhost

ping yourgatewayiphere
If you have a valid IP address an not an RFC private IP, you should be able to ping the gateway. Next try pinging other known IP's on the network.

Try:

sudo ufw status
This will display whether or not UFW is indeed disabled. If it's not, check /var/log/ufw.log for messages on startup/confg/errors

If this is a VM, if it is on a local machine that is using NAT via the host IP, make sure your host has internet connectivity. If it is bridged, make sure you're getting an IP from your DHCP server (actual server or router).

That should get you closer to getting connectivity. Let us know.