PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB 3.0 external 2.5 enclosure and Ubuntu 11.10 not seeing the drive

jaime256
May 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Today I decided to plug in my Patriot Gauntlet 2 2.5" external usb 3.0 case to my Ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try and copy some files. I finally got the drive to turn on, just had to let it cool off for a while as I had it on for a few days on my windows machine. It works fine there, but I can't get to it under Ubuntu. Is this supported? Once again I'm just testing and since I tried the search and nothing comes up. I guess I might as well start a new thread regarding the usb 3.0.

FYI...Congratulations, now the forums have never looked uglier. What the hell happened? I like the old look better. :)

jaime256
May 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Here's what I see after using lsusb.

gordintoronto
May 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Which of those lines do you think is your Guantlet? Does it have an on/off switch? What drive is installed in it?

jaime256
May 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
It has to be one of the last 3. Honestly, I have no idea what those last 3 are either. I do have a two computer kvm switch. The ide was my IDE 2.5 enclosure and it's not a hub. No, there's no on/off switch unfortunately. I installed the laptop sata drive I replaced, it was working fine, I only upgraded to a larger drive. Can't remember the brand, but sometimes now I hear ticking so not sure if leaving it connected to the htpc killed it. Makes no sense since I have been using it for a number of years on the notebook. That's all I can think could have happened, but after letting cool off, I plugged it into the desktop and it took a bit, but the blue LED finally came on just like when on my windows machine. I just don't see the drive when I look for it or it's contents for that matter.

Which of those lines do you think is your Guantlet? Does it have an on/off switch? What drive is installed in it?