PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaah to be a beginner...

SonOfSteinway
May 28th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Hi all,
I am a brand new starter to Linux and C programming. Before you all assume, I am teaching myself as a hobby because I am currently ACTUALLY studying to be a Mechanical Engineer also, so i dont know all that much, YET.
I started on Ubuntu as i find the customisation of Windows too limited and iOS- well...its Apple.
What I wanted to know was- does anyone have any good resources for me to read through on both C programming that I may print out at work, and what is required to create my own HUD in Linux, if even possible at all...
I dont mind if this takes months on end- my capacity to learn at the moment is quite high!
And please be gentle- I am only quite new at this!
Any feedback is welcome and if this is in the wrong forum please let me know and ill repost!
SonOfSteinway.

mudguts
May 28th, 2012, 02:48 AM
first off, welcome..
secondly, I can't see a reason for you to print anything off. just read some articles and poke around. Dont expect to build the HUB from the get go though.

it's open source, if you look, you may find someone that has already started and just collaborate with them.

SonOfSteinway
May 28th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I just joined today, and I'm sifting through the forums as we speak (figuratively of course)
I prefer to print reference off because I have no internet connection at my home at the moment, and will not have any for the coming months- so sitting and reading text makes it nice and easy for me.
I should have mentioned that it is my goal to create my own GUI, if I need to learn the necessary tools on the way I am more than prepared for the task!

GreggC
May 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi all,
I am a brand new starter to Linux and C programming. Before you all assume, I am teaching myself as a hobby because I am currently ACTUALLY studying to be a Mechanical Engineer also, so i dont know all that much, YET.
I started on Ubuntu as i find the customisation of Windows too limited and iOS- well...its Apple.
What I wanted to know was- does anyone have any good resources for me to read through on both C programming that I may print out at work, and what is required to create my own HUD in Linux, if even possible at all...
I dont mind if this takes months on end- my capacity to learn at the moment is quite high!
And please be gentle- I am only quite new at this!
Any feedback is welcome and if this is in the wrong forum please let me know and ill repost!
SonOfSteinway.

How familiar are you with programming? If you are starting out, C may not be the best language to lean on. I learned C in gradual school ;-) for a modeling thesis & I loved it. I was already familiar with Fortran, Basic and Pascale (and I was teaching Fortran). If you are starting out, a more structured language may get you up to speed faster - then dive into C.

oldos2er
May 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.