PDA

View Full Version : When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

listerdl
May 28th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I am curious...I am happy with Ubuntu 10.04.02 and have new reason to upgrade. When I do I almost always get into headaches and issues....

I dont really feel I am missing out b/c I read and watch a lot of the new developments out there and none of it makes me compelled to change and upgrade.

I guess I could always back-up and then try to upgrade.

LTS versions are the key I reckon....

gimcrack
May 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM
If it ain't broken don't fix it. If you feel like you aren't missing out on anything, then keep what you have.

I'm a distro hopper since 2003. I jump from one distro to the next. I keep one distro 3-6 months sometime up to a year. I like change and new flavors. That's why I love Linux, it's so flexible. I feel like changing because I get bored and like to see the newer things that are out there. I have try 39 Linux distro's over the 9yrs with Linux. I like to learn as much as I can about Linux. And it's just so dare fun, learning the new things about Linux. It's all about preference and choices. So, you do what you feel like doing. I change-up for the adventure and just for the plain fun of it. It's what fit your needs and wants. And feel what you want to do at the time. Keep enjoying Linux, and have fun. If it works for you, then keep. You don't have to change-up. Keep enjoying Linux, and change when you feel like changing up.

coldjeanz
May 28th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I also get bored easily and I love new features. But if all you're concerned about is usability and not wanting to adjust to anything new then I wouldn't bother.

not found
May 28th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

wilee-nilee
May 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Personally I run every release, even the development but with a regular release alongside, and clone them all when all set up, and periodically more clones.

I backup all homes as well often with grsync and a dpkg lists of what is installed in each OS.

Makes for really fast fresh installs, and reloads if something breaks, or if I have acted irrational, lol.

daslinkard
May 28th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I tend to stop upgrades once I have the PC set up to my liking. However, one of my good friends is notorious for constantly breaking his system simply out of pure boredom. There are parts that I think this is great but I guess I don't have the time that he does in trying to rebuild the system.

With all that said though I believe that if you know how to fix what you broke or you become familiarised with tweaking your system...you'll be a stronger user.

Bouvet
May 28th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Being a newbie that I am , often I get twitchy that I should
upgrade with the latest releases.

Once I upgraded to Ubuntu 12 in Virtualbox and it stopped me
from using full screen. I uninstalled Ubuntu, went back to version
11 and I think I even uninstalled VB!

Now I'm getting the prompt to upgrade Virtualbox and I"m afraid to!

Guitar John
May 28th, 2012, 04:24 AM
In principle, I like to stay put with an LTS. However, I am currently running 11.10 on my ThinkPad x100, because there was an issue with running 10.04 LTS on this computer.

When 12.04.1 is released in July, my wife and I are getting new laptops with a bit more horsepower (http://www.powernotebooks.com/), and I will be doing a fresh install.

Probably getting the Sager NP6110.

rudihawk
May 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I just keep mine updated even if I'm quite happy with it.

gordintoronto
May 29th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I never upgrade, I always do a fresh install. (At one point, I bought a new hard drive in order to do a fresh install.) For computers with a modern AMD CPU, 10.10 had a significant feature not present in 10.04, so I ran 10.10 until it expired.

I have partitions available to fool around with new releases, but I'm moving to Mint 13 for my "production system." I hope to use it for the next four years. But I'll still fool around with new releases.

weasel fierce
May 31st, 2012, 08:25 PM
I keep meaning to stick with an LTS version but the idea that there's new stuff out there that I don't have burns me :)

ageofsteam
May 31st, 2012, 08:33 PM
I've updated/reinstalled many times, and some of those times were utterly disastrous. The new version removed programs I needed, ruined my settings, ran slowly and even culled beloved applets, which began to crash the GUI constantly when I repeatedly tried to reinstall them. Installing the old OS *OVER* the new version didn't work, so I had to format and lose almost everything (thank God for external hard drives! ;_;) And just to prove that I'm a moron: I've done this at least twice.

If you're happy with your installation, don't upgrade it. #LearnFromMyFail This is especially true if you're on an older comp with limited memory.

Paqman
June 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Depends on the machine. For my HTPC and my wife's netbook I pick an LTS and leave it on there for as long as possible. The former because I want it be like a toaster (ie: no fiddling about required!) and the latter because I don't like sleeping on the sofa. For my server I'm even more conservative and will only use an LTS point release.

My own desktop and netbook I like to have the new shiny stuff, so keep them bang up to date. The desktop will even run the testing branch if I've got the time.

TheGuyWithTheFace
June 2nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I'm still fairly new, but one of my favorite things about upgrading from Windows 7 to Oneric was trying out all the shiny new features and programs and workspaces and speediness and... You get the picture. Then, just as I finished fixing the things I broke, Precise came out! :D Since this is a LTS, I think I'll try to stick with it, or at least I find something I "must" have in a newer version, but we'll see...

vasa1
June 2nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
"When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?"
No, because to refuse an upgrade would imply that my knowledge is superior to those who offer the upgrade which isn't so. Also, the upgrades in this context are not "commercial" and aren't offered to boost the company's bottom line.

kurt18947
June 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Like many here, I get curious about the latest shiny bangle. Seeing as there is no prohibition against having more than one O.S. installed, keep one system that is stable and boring and one system to tinker with and abuse. I find 25 GB. or so plenty large and even a modest sized hard drives can easily accommodate multiple separate O.S. installs. I can have my cake (stable reliable system) and eat it too (system on the bleeding edge).

GSF1200S
June 3rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
I keep Xubuntu around so I have a guaranteed working system. Ive always had a 'buntu around, but it started to get annoying when I would get the "itch" to get some new program that wasnt packaged in a deb or that required me to run a development release, etc.

I think Xubuntu is a fantastic "boring" stable system that has a great amount of software available for it, but admittedly im having a pretty dirty affair with Arch where I set it up to be as stable as possible- ive even ended up liking Openbox (and all the components I have installed around it) more than XFCE.

With Arch, its probably up to date, and if you need a development package, its prolly in the AUR. If its not, you can make your own pkgbuilds in a few minutes (depending).

Arch isnt as stable as Xubuntu though (with new packages comes potential issues) and requires a lot more user intervention/interaction. PPAs are great for 'buntu variants too, if not as reliable as the main distros. I think selective rolling release is a great plan for Ubuntu (which it does with firefox for example).

Peripheral Visionary
June 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I always look at what updates are available but I'm very selective about which ones I install. Once I get an awesome setup that I don't want to change, I edit my settings to accept only security updates.

BigSilly
June 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I always look at what updates are available but I'm very selective about which ones I install. Once I get an awesome setup that I don't want to change, I edit my settings to accept only security updates.

I think the OP is referring to distro upgrades rather than regular updates that come via the update manager. To be honest, if an update comes down the pipe, I don't turn it away. Always important to keep up to date.

But with distro upgrades, it's been a long time since I've had a distro installed that I've really enjoyed and wanted to keep around. I've been a bit of a distro hopper for a while and not settled, but I recently installed Mint 13 Cinnamon and it's the first time in a long time that I've thought "I want to keep this". So now I have a system I really love, and I don't know how I'll feel when the next one comes out. I may be reluctant to upgrade.

It's an unusual predicament for me!

wolfen69
June 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM
It just depends on what kind of user you are. I myself have no problems using the latest and greatest ubuntu via clean install. Then again I always make sure my hardware is compatible. That should be rule #1.

Yet people buy computers that are NOT linux certified, and wonder why things go wrong. <scratches head>

People buy windows compatible pc's, right? People buy Mac compatible computers, right? Well, maybe people should buy linux compatible computers, Don't know how? Ask.

arizonalarry2
June 7th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Is it just me or do restricted drivers cease to function when a distro ends it's life cycle? I was using 9.04 to do a lot of Blender work and needed the accelerated graphics... right around the time I start getting the message that my distro was no longer supported I noticed the graphics slowed considerably... checking the restricted drivers it appeared they were no longer installed and there was no way of re-installing them.

So anyway I upgraded - to which version I forgot and I can't find where the 'about Ubuntu' thing is... every time I upgrade I have to search for everything all over again... took two hours to figure out how to turn the sound on... now YouTube videos don't play and I'm not supposed to download them either, that's just great now I can't even watch YouTube videos anymore... oh yeah that's a great improvement.

I despise upgrading. I have to spend hours getting everything working again, some things never work again, and it's always more trouble than it's worth.

And why the HELL is Wine included? If I wanted to run a Windows program I would BOOT UP A WINDOWS MACHINE. The whole reason I liked Ubuntu in the first place is because it WASN'T Windows.

Geez guys, get it together already.

Paqman
June 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
now YouTube videos don't play and I'm not supposed to download them either, that's just great now I can't even watch YouTube videos anymore... oh yeah that's a great improvement.

Sounds like you don't have Flash installed. Either install Flash or switch to non-Flash videos in Youtube by joining the HTML5 trial (http://youtube.com/html5). You'll need to keep opting back in unfortunately.

And why the HELL is Wine included?

It's not, you must have installed it or something that requires it (eg: Picasa).