PDA

View Full Version : Worst mistake

bobman321123
May 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hi All, I'm just curious, what's the worst computer related mistake you've ever made?

Mine was deciding to see if setting the entire filesystem to chmod777 was a good idea. :P

ddarsow
May 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hi All, I'm just curious, what's the worst computer related mistake you've ever made?

Mine was deciding to see if setting the entire filesystem to chmod777 was a good idea. :P

Using GParted to removae all partitions from the wrong drive!
Luckily I had run CloneZilla previously though...

PeterP24
May 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Um, I installed matlab and - it turns out that the matlab installation directory has an etc directory - you know like the system /etc. And I had problems with installing it - so at a point I decided to delete the matlab directory etc. Instead of deleting ./etc from the current directory, I somehow forgot to type the point and ended up deleting the system configuration directory /etc. I didn't suspected anything because everything appeared to be ok. At some point I needed to use the sudo command and Ubuntu complained that it cannot find the sudoers file or so. So, I rebooted and the system hanged. Only then I realised the problem!

I recovered everything I needed from the broken system and reinstalled. I think it was in 2007.

cariboo
May 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as this really doesn't have anything to do with programming.

fbicknel
May 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
1990 or so. Had customer's backup on a set of tapes. Hard drive failed. Tape software would not read the second tape. Lost their system.

Always verify your backup.

Bandit
May 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Mine was formating my backup drive.. Thank god for image ghosting.

VTPoet
May 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just little things:

1.) Putting my backup, a 16g flash drive, through the laundry machine. Lost the data but once I dried it out and reformatted, it worked like a charm and still does.

2.) When I first began using Linux, I would throw minor tantrums (when I couldn't get 'X' to completely uninstall) in which I would delete this or that system file. I got quite good at re-installing utterly borked distros.

ikt
May 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
When I was 10 or so I was trying to get on the internet not realising I didn't have a modem, windows 98 kept telling me it couldn't find the modem, so I started flicking switches and hit the switch on the back of my computer's power supply going from 240v to 110v, which blew the psu up in a firey fashion. I was upset for days.

bobman321123
May 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
When I was 10 or so I was trying to get on the internet not realising I didn't have a modem, windows 98 kept telling me it couldn't find the modem, so I started flicking switches and hit the switch on the back of my computer's power supply going from 240v to 110v, which blew the psu up in a firey fashion. I was upset for days.
Haha, I would have loved to have seen it blow. That reminds me of a friend who melted a processor at age 7ish.

MisterGaribaldi
May 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Many, many moons ago, something happened (I'm guessing maybe a speaker magnet was the culprit, but to this day I really don't know for sure) and none of my system floppies was bootable.

I had to go back to the local Apple dealer and get a new system disk, which they were extremely unhappy about giving me. I nearly wound up with a permanent boat anchor.

(On a separate note, it's amazing how much the attitudes of businesses about how to treat customers has changed over the years, particularly within the tech industry.)

roelforg
May 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
One of the things i did recently was when one of my systems froze and another was downloading a large file (5+ hours download large)...
The powerbutton of the frozen one is broken so i had to pull the plug...
Only i pulled the wrong one and killed the downloading system and corrupted the download in the process.... right at 99%.

MisterGaribaldi
May 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Only i pulled the wrong one and killed the downloading system and corrupted the download in the process.... right at 99%.

The definition of pain and agony!

lisati
May 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM

I was thinking of retelling a story about mistakenly thinking someone I was writing some software for had a '286 in their machine when they didn't until I saw this, and remembered an experiment I did at a young age involving a piece of wire, a nail and a 240V power outlet. When I woke up on the other side of the room, my dad was mending the fuse and mum was fussing over me.

QIII
May 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Some time ago, I had two drives on my "nice" computer. The drive I used for data started to fail, so I recovered my data and I went to buy a new one. While there, I impulsively bought a shiny new case. Got it all home and gutted the old case. Took the failing drive out to the garage, punched holes in it with a power drill, broke the PCB and went inside to reassemble.

When I got the "no bootable media" warning, I suddenly realized which disk I had taken to the garage...

HalfNote5
May 26th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Back in the day, IDE cables didn't have that little red mark on the end wire, nor were the plugs designed so that they only went in right-side up. On one, maybe two occasions, if you get it flipped on one side or other, the most amazing things happen:

1.) All the magic blue and grey smoke escapes from the machine.

2.) Your IDE cable is now more of a charred "IDE Wire Sculpture."

3.) You'd better know what you're looking for at Radio Shack, because the kid in the tie trying to sell you a phone has no idea what an IDE cable IS, much less what it looks like or where they keep them. :lolflag:

ofnuts
May 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Not de-installing Windows sooner, of course.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
When I started I removed home from my dapper setup, I had to take it to where I bought the computer, free reinstall. I did not know about the ISO downloads, did not really loose anything but my time.

Lucradia
May 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Throwing a tube monitor on the floor due to rage. (It was still plugged in and connected to the computer)

I ended up getting an A on my high school history test the next day, as I raged because I didn't want to study. Remarkably, the glass did not shatter.

HanDez
May 27th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Just now..I installed Ubuntu Tweak..even though I have been using Bleachbit without a problem for awhile now on 12.04. I had used Ubuntu Tweak without a problem on previous versions of Ubuntu.

But....with the first time using it after install, IT COMPLETELY REMOVED MY FGLRX DRIVER!....I was at a loss when my new Rig refused to shut down, so I did a hard reboot and guess what, no Unity, no GUI..I did get the logout window to pop up though..with ctrl.alt.del.

So i proceeded to reboot into recovery.. checked for my driver with the autoremove option, and it came back with 0 found so nothing to remove...WOW..so I reinstalled my fglrx driver with command line.... and now all is well again.

Needless to say I DO NOT recommend Ubuntu Tweak any longer!

Bleachbit FTW!!!

HansKisaragi
May 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Using GParted to removae all partitions from the wrong drive!
Luckily I had run CloneZilla previously though...

This.. except i had no backup.. >_>

codingman
May 27th, 2012, 04:49 PM
when I bought a socket am2 amd athlon 64 x2 4800+ instead of the socket 939 version and then getting an amd athlon 64 FX-55 single core version

both accidental...

mips
May 27th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I was reinstalling everything on my PC (windows & linux) and had all my stuff/data backed up to my external WD 500GB HDD. Somewhere during the process the external fell over and got some damage. Fortunately for me I did not format the internal mirror with the same content yet. So I removed the WD from it's enclosure and directly connected it via a sata port on the MB as it's way faster to copy stuff across than with USB. So I did a sudo fdisk -l to identify all the drives in my system prior to rebooting (can't remember why but there was a valid reason) and wrote down the /dev/sdaX labels for the two different 500GB drives. After rebooting I imaged the internal 500GB drive to the external 500GB drive I connected via sata. Now in the days before unique UUIDs the sdaX labels changed between the reboot and I ended up dd'ing the wrong bloody drive! Bye bye data and I could not recover from the failed external. Lesson learnt, these days I triple check stuff!

MG&TL
May 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Taking the RAM out of my desktop (mercifully an ancient one) to get to some fluff which was building up. Seems it was near-impossible to get back in, and to this day my motherboard has a somewhat worrying line down the middle.

Oh and trusting bash's autocomplete feature to know which directory I want to rm.

roelforg
May 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I remembered another one:
You should know that besides huge computer (and linux) geek, i'm an amateur DJ as well.
Now we go back some months...
I was preparing a gig and i hooked up my djconsole's output to the amp.
Then i went to reconfigure mixxx to use the right channels on the console (1&2=main 3&4=headphone).
But instead of 3&4 i clicked on the 2&3 entry.
My monitor speakers are always on 100% volume, i set the master volume to 20% (amp set to 100%, mixxx master to 20%).
Then i hit play on a deck that was on prelisten and the crossfader was set all the way to the other deck (it was the first song)...
Another thing you should know is that the speakers each produce somewhere around 100-110dBa on full power.
Suddenly, the right channel was full on (remember my channel layout?).
I had a "deer in the headlights" for about 5 seconds before i hit stop.
I think the hearing of my friend (he did the lights) still hasn't fully recovered yet...

(hey, it's kinda related to computers as i set the channel layout wrong on my computer)

Duncan J Murray
May 27th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Nearly-happened...

Bought a new thinkpad with security subsystem 2. It has it's own encryption hardware on the motherboard. I set a system password, then forgot it. Very nearly lost the whole computer. Apparently you can't recover the motherboard after you've typed the password in wrong three times, so I was really sweating when I typed in the password for the third time...

D

chris200x9
May 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
A space rm -rf /directory/* vs rm -rf /directory/ *

viperdvman
May 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM
That would be back in Windows 98 days, about the time of 1GB-6GB hard drives and such, and when CD burners were a fairly new thing.

It was an older install of Win98 SE. I attempted to change the file system from FAT to FAT32. Big mistake... I ended up corrupting the entire hard drive (Hey, I didn't know better at the time). It was my smaller 1GB drive that ran my operating system and apps too. The second 6GB drive was used for games and data and stuff.

But after that, I built a brand new computer PIII-based system, using all new hardware, but reusing the same hard drives. That one mistake led me to building my first brand new system in 1999, and it ran Win98 and later Win 2000 and Win XP very well before I built my second comp in 2004.

So yeah... one big mistake, and the rest is history :D

jockyburns
May 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
About 7 or 8 years ago, I'd bought a new sound card for my silicon pile and decided to install it one Sunday afternoon. I'd just opened the case up, when the missus said she was going for an hours sleep in bed and told me "Don't make any noise."
Slotted the sound card in and powered the computer up.
An Almighty bang and a small mushroom cloud (a nuclear warhead would have been proud of) billowed up from the case. I think I'd accidentally shorted some wires out and literally blown the comp up.
Needless to say, er indoors was not amused.

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Nearly-happened...

Bought a new thinkpad with security subsystem 2. It has it's own encryption hardware on the motherboard. I set a system password, then forgot it. Very nearly lost the whole computer. Apparently you can't recover the motherboard after you've typed the password in wrong three times, so I was really sweating when I typed in the password for the third time...

D

I'm glad I don't set BIOS Passwords.

forrestcupp
May 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I doubt if anyone can top this one. I went to resize my partitions with GParted. Right after I started the process, I realized that it wasn't exactly how I wanted it, so I pressed the Cancel button. Even though it had just started, I lost everything in a way that I thought I couldn't recover it.

The worst part of it was that I hadn't done a backup since I did my very complex income taxes, and I lost all of my tax receipts and forms that I had scanned electronically, and those were the only copies I had. That was an extremely stupid thing to do. You can bet I've changed my backup habits after that happened. ;)

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I doubt if anyone can top this one. I went to resize my partitions with GParted. Right after I started the process, I realized that it wasn't exactly how I wanted it, so I pressed the Cancel button. Even though it had just started, I lost everything in a way that I thought I couldn't recover it.

The worst part of it was that I hadn't done a backup since I did my very complex income taxes, and I lost all of my tax receipts and forms that I had scanned electronically, and those were the only copies I had. That was an extremely stupid thing to do. You can bet I've changed my backup habits after that happened. ;)

I can likely top that twice.

1.) I've formatted my computer every 6th months. Ever since I bought a copy of Flash CS3 Educational Edition in 2006~07, I have always forgotten to deactivate it. This causes my activation count to stay high. One day, after so many reformats, I noticed I couldn't activate it. I contacted Adobe, and they gave me three extra activations. Just a day or so ago, I had a derp moment, and accidentally didn't deactivate. So now I've lost a 500+ USD piece of software. (You can't use the Educational Edition for commercial purposes anyway, as per the EULA.)

2.) Reformats, I often do, like above. I've often forgotten to back up videos I need to edit, and the worst thing I've forgotten to backup is my resume. I've since changed my backup methods. Always saving important stuff immediately to a flash drive.

mips
May 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM
2.) Reformats, I often do, like above. I've often forgotten to back up videos I need to edit, and the worst thing I've forgotten to backup is my resume. I've since changed my backup methods. Always saving important stuff immediately to a flash drive.

Important documents I email to myself so it lives on googles servers and I never delete my mail.

forrestcupp
May 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I can likely top that twice.

1.) I've formatted my computer every 6th months. Ever since I bought a copy of Flash CS3 Educational Edition in 2006~07, I have always forgotten to deactivate it. This causes my activation count to stay high. One day, after so many reformats, I noticed I couldn't activate it. I contacted Adobe, and they gave me three extra activations. Just a day or so ago, I had a derp moment, and accidentally didn't deactivate. So now I've lost a 500+ USD piece of software. (You can't use the Educational Edition for commercial purposes anyway, as per the EULA.)

2.) Reformats, I often do, like above. I've often forgotten to back up videos I need to edit, and the worst thing I've forgotten to backup is my resume. I've since changed my backup methods. Always saving important stuff immediately to a flash drive.That's definitely pretty bad. But I don't think those can top tax documents that I could get audited over. ;)

Important documents I email to myself so it lives on googles servers and I never delete my mail.I started putting my tax documents in Dropbox. I also make a local backup of my Dropbox folder. I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.

Lucradia
May 28th, 2012, 12:57 PM
That's definitely pretty bad. But I don't think those can top tax documents that I could get audited over. ;)

Don't claim on tax forms in the first place. Or else you will have to do it forever.

/solved

My income isn't taxable ;)

makitso
May 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
1. Having my backup drive mounted all the time.
2. Deleting files from a thumb drive on Ubuntu 12.04

Three weeks ago I was deleting some files from a thumb drive. Well the drive had many link problems. So, when I deleted the files from the trash can ubuntu deleted every file in my home directory and my mounted backup directory. Three years of data lost!!

Yes, I know that is can't happen but it did. I did file a bug but how can one duplicate this? The kernel.log showed the problems. BTW, Ext4.:(

BrokenKingpin
May 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I did a lot of stupid things trying to partition drives with early versions of Linux. I nuked a 40 gig hard drive with Mandrake 7 back in the day trying to partition it... not even sure how I did that. And back then 40 gigs was pretty sweet lol.

zombifier25
May 28th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I had a GParted problem that resulted in erasing my entire Ubuntu drive - with no backup :P

The most recent accident that I made was

tail /dev/zero
I couldn't remember how many Ctrl-C I pressed :P

willbe1kenobi
May 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I usually do a clean install of a new operating system instead of upgrading to newest release and on the really odd occassion I forget to backup some of the data on the drive I'm installing it to.

blackbird34
May 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
When i first tried to install Ubuntu, i asked a friend for help... During the partitioning we clicked in the wrong place and wiped Win 7.
Worst mistake or not, i don't really know... Still firmly entrenched in Linux :D

forrestcupp
May 28th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Don't claim on tax forms in the first place. Or else you will have to do it forever.

/solved

My income isn't taxable ;)

I sure wish it were that simple. My taxes are a convoluted mess. My wife has a normal income, but I have a normal salary mixed with a housing allowance that all has to be represented by filing self employment taxes. I'm required to keep track of everything that gets spent on housing, including billing statements and receipts for anything I buy that goes in the house. A couple of years ago, I went paperless, so everything I have is on my computer and backups. This year, I was stupid enough to take a risk and lose before I remembered to back up some of this year's stuff.

mattfrog
May 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I, in a tired daze nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, put my coffee down on top of the only working Domain Controller on the network after the other two had BOTH had hard drive failures that day.

You can guess the rest..

Couldn't do the "Microsoft pushed a bad update" routine that day...:lolflag:

rmil
May 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Flushed BIOS with wrong file long time ago.

bobman321123
May 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Oh! Here's another worst mistake I've made...
I installed windows one time.

Frogs Hair
May 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Attempted upgrade of Wubi 9.10 to 10.04 beta. That was my last and only upgrade attempt.

DingusFett
May 30th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Mine would probably be in my younger days, not knowing much about overclocking, I overclocked the CPU in one of my first computers (was around 2002, so can't remember now what it was, but I set it to max) without worrying about cooling or anything. A few months later Windows threw up a blue screen and wouldn't recover, so we pulled the side of the case off and found the CPU had melted to the motherboard. The thing did well to last that long in the heat of Australian summer.

pissedoffdude
May 30th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Upgrading my graphics card to an nvidia 9600gt without upgrading the power supply. Everything seemed well at first and I started playing World of Warcraft. A few minutes in, a few pops came from the power supply and they made me jump. I ended up explaining to my friends that I got off because my computer blew up, lol. Luckily all I needed to do was install a new power supply.

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Mine would probably be in my younger days, not knowing much about overclocking, I overclocked the CPU in one of my first computers (was around 2002, so can't remember now what it was, but I set it to max) without worrying about cooling or anything. A few months later Windows threw up a blue screen and wouldn't recover, so we pulled the side of the case off and found the CPU had melted to the motherboard. The thing did well to last that long in the heat of Australian summer.

That must have been after the bad old days when you had to physically short out posts to overclock.

DingusFett
May 30th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Yeah, it was done in BIOS when I did it

kevdog
May 30th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I punched and broke, and then proceeded to throw my home gaming system -- known as a Vectrex (anybody heard of that one) -- out the window. I think I got really mad about losing asteroids or something, I don't really recall. Damn I still wish I had that gaming system!!

mips
May 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I punched and broke, and then proceeded to throw my home gaming system -- known as a Vectrex (anybody heard of that one) -- out the window.

Nope, had to go google it and I've never seen one before in my life or heard of one.

HalfNote5
June 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
I punched and broke, and then proceeded to throw my home gaming system -- known as a Vectrex (anybody heard of that one) -- out the window. I think I got really mad about losing asteroids or something, I don't really recall. Damn I still wish I had that gaming system!!

I had an Atari 2600. ; )

I never got so upset as to throw it around. My kid brother on the other hand... :lolflag:

Dale61
June 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Not something I did, but years ago, a mate was advised that putting all like type files in the same folder helps the computer find them. So, he gets home and starts putting all his .txt files in the one folder, all his .jpg files in the one folder, etc, etc,.

The next day, his computer wouldn't boot, and when pressured in to telling me what he did, it was discovered that he put all his .dll files in to the one folder ......

Luckily, he had the installation discs.

SushiR
June 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Was trying XFCE some years ago. Wanted to delete a folder on my music drive. Deleted all folders instead. *narf* Was able to get most of it back with some sort of restore stuff I can't quite remember. What I remember: It took a LOT of time...

bobman321123
June 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM
My second worst was probably trying to use the Fedora 17 alpha installer...
it didn't work properly, and it ate one of my other partitions.

*shrug* at least it wasn't my main OS that got eaten.

oboedad55
June 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Windows ME

Basher101
June 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I destroyed my BIOS on my self-built Desktop PC (i noticed this quite late). THANK GOD the motherboard had:
a)a second BIOS chip
b)a weird error whenever i had a non-bootable USB drive in the USB slots on bootup (it starts to hang and crash) <-- guess this busted it in the first place. Good i found out about this soon enough before mysecond BIOS got nuked too.

Was able to reflash the first one afterwards and facepalmed about how close i was to an epicly epic uberfail.

Bodsda
June 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I was using Backup Exec to restore a database onto an MS SQL server, instead of clicking the check box next to 'aaatestdb' I clicked the top level 'databases' box.

Restored 35 databases on a business critical SQL cluster to the previous night in the middle of the day. Safe to say, my boss was not impressed. That was the last time I use backup software to restore straight onto live systems.

Dry Lips
June 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM
When I went to high school, me and my room mate were using a null modem cable in order to play Duke Nukem 3d with each other.

One time when had the cables hooked up I ran a loopback test in program called "Checkit". My computer died immediately.

Was it a random coincidence, or did running that program really nuke my MB? To this day I'm not really sure; I think that test was supposed to be run using something called a loopback plug.

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM
When I went to high school, me and my room mate were using a null modem cable in order to play Duke Nukem 3d with each other. Good times, good times! I had a friend who had two phone lines just for playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Was it a random coincidence, or did running that program really nuke my MB?
Pun intended. :)

|{urse
June 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Worst mistake ever was throwing an old power supply into a dumpster that had water in it POP, luckily noone was hurt.

skellat
June 5th, 2012, 09:53 PM
# rm -rf /

lisati
June 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
# rm -rf /

Ouch! Do not try this at home if you don't know what it does!

sisco311
June 6th, 2012, 12:21 AM
# rm -rf /

That was a long time ago, right?

GNU rm (from GNU coreutils >=6.10?, Ubuntu 8.04?) defaults to --preserve-root (http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Treating-_002f-specially.html).

Oh, and please let me echo the warning posted by lisati:

Do not try this command at home if you don't know what it does!

More info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?a=54

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2012, 01:28 AM
That was a long time ago, right?

GNU rm (from GNU coreutils >=6.10?, Ubuntu 8.04?) defaults to --preserve-root (http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Treating-_002f-specially.html).

Hey, that's great that they did that.

wolfen69
June 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I deleted 35,000 mp3's by mistake using the DD command. ](*,)

c2tarun
June 6th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I mounted my home partition to a chroot and when I was inside chroot I deleted my account with home folder data :( it removed all my files from home folder :( and I didn't have backups I lost many data, and retrieved some from my friends laptop.

wolfen69
June 6th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I mounted my home partition to a chroot and when I was inside chroot I deleted my account with home folder data :( it removed all my files from home folder :( and I didn't have backups I lost many data, and retrieved some from my friends laptop.

Your're still alive and kickin? That's all that matters. I think sometimes we put too much stock into what we save. In the end, it doesn't matter. People act like they live forever, and their "stuff" don't stink. I got news for you. No one cares, it's no wonder I want to quit ubuntu forums. Not ubuntu, just the forums. Most of you are....

Lux Perpetua
June 6th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Nearly-happened...

DCan't recover at all? That doesn't sound like a very desirable feature.

A space rm -rf /directory/* vs rm -rf /directory/ *Mine is very similar to yours:

rm core* vs.
rm core *I did have an earlier version of my code in another directory, but it was several weeks old, and I had been working on it actively. :-( Ever since that day almost ten years ago, I've always aliased rm to rm -i.

I punched and broke, and then proceeded to throw my home gaming system -- known as a Vectrex (anybody heard of that one) -- out the window. I think I got really mad about losing asteroids or something, I don't really recall. Damn I still wish I had that gaming system!!I actually have heard of it because I saw the Gaming Historian's episode on it on YouTube. It does indeed look pretty cool.

vazduxosbra4kania
June 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Everyone telling story from their childhood or many years ago....So i will tell you something that happened before 1 month :). Dropped 2x4096MB Ram memories on the floor while trying to hold a pc case in one hand and the RAM and HDD in other. BOTH of them broke not because they fell, but because the HDD fell on them :((( Terrible! :sad: . Worst mistake was me being so stupid :(

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Your're still alive and kickin? That's all that matters. I think sometimes we put too much stock into what we save. In the end, it doesn't matter. People act like they live forever, and their "stuff" don't stink. I got news for you. No one cares, it's no wonder I want to quit ubuntu forums. Not ubuntu, just the forums. Most of you are....

Wow! You're mad and want to quit the forums because people are upset about losing data they didn't back up? Some of that stuff doesn't matter when we are gone, but it sure matters while we're here. I don't care if you care about my stuff or not, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't care about my stuff. Also, for the people who only keep electronic copies of all their important records and documents, it does matter. Try telling the IRS it doesn't matter.

bobman321123
June 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
# rm -rf /
I actually made a virtualbox just to try that....

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Everyone telling story from their childhood or many years ago....So i will tell you something that happened before 1 month :). Dropped 2x4096MB Ram memories on the floor while trying to hold a pc case in one hand and the RAM and HDD in other. BOTH of them broke not because they fell, but because the HDD fell on them :((( Terrible! :sad: . Worst mistake was me being so stupid :(

Reminds me of another incident. Back in the days I had borrowed a 2X CD-Rom drive, and I had just put it into the bay without bothering to fasten it with screws.
At one point my dad was going to move my computer to another room, and of course the CD-ROM fell out of the computer and was broken.

|{urse
June 6th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Another smoov move was when I tried to make a dualboot mac/win/linux system, kinda cool idea, the case had 2 motherboards (one whole side of the case was just the guts from an imac, the other side a standard pc mobo & guts) with an internal kvm so I could easily switch between both booted OSes, this was before intel macs so it was a pretty cool conversation piece, the mistake was inadequate cooling, nearly every single capacitor on the pc side blew. The mac side still works to this day.

bmeakings
June 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM
With my first computer, I remember coming across weird files with the Windows logo on that had no programs associated to open with so I deleted them. Duh. I also thought an application was all self-contained in a single .exe file and wondered why they stopped working when I moved them from Program Files onto the desktop. This isn't a million miles off from Applications in Mac OS, but back then (1999) I never heard of Apple.

Anyway, it wasn't long until Windows crapped out, but luckily there was a system restore disk, and not only that, they included the original Windows 98SE installation CD so I could install a pristine installation, not like today with the recovery partition nonsense. I re-installed Windows and my games so many times I remembered their CD keys off by heart.

Metallion
June 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Using rsync -r --delete on the wrong directory is pretty high up there. I lost a bunch of stuff I didn't want to lose. :(

bobman321123
June 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I used dd to transfer an iso and didn't specify a destination....
I'm still not quite sure where it went o.O

Sylos
June 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Whilst frankensteining a PC together for my dad I popped a stick of RAM into the MOBO and didnt seat it right - didnt get it locked in. Turned on the machine to hear MOBO bleeping and no post. Then came the smell of burning........

Oddly the stick still works to this day........ for something so fragile it turned out to be quite robust.

Also changed OS by just wiping my / partition and selecting use existing /home for the new /home in order to keep my files. Didnt check the "dont format" box though..... bye bye....

My list could go on but I'll end the embarrassment here.

forrestcupp
June 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I used dd to transfer an iso and didn't specify a destination....
I'm still not quite sure where it went o.O

It went to the Null Void. :)

Frogs Hair
June 7th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Well, today I decided to test the Cairo Dock session as I had done on 11.10. After deciding not to keep it I removed the Cairo Plugin from synaptic as I had done last time .

I watched in horror while my Ubuntu desktop uninstalled it self component by component. I was unable correct this and am typing on my freshly installed 12,04 desktop.

There were a small list of dependencies listed when I began the process and I have no idea what happened. I have over 200 updates pending so see you all later. :mad:

Wild_Duck66
June 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
A few months ago I was flashing different internal MicroSD cards for my MID816R2 tablet. I had been doing this for hours using Roadkil`s Disk image, trouble is the default drive is C: and you have to select the MicroSD...I forgot once, the image was installed at the start of C: and it was alright until I rebooted, No windows no Kubuntu. My latest Vista install disk would`nt work I had to use the original ones I made when my Laptop was new.(cannot instal SP2 before SP1)

devxdev
June 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
$ rm -rf *.*
I "accidentally" pulled this one off via ssh on a buddies server goofing off. Had no idea I'd have that level of access.. >_<

Senior_Buckethead
June 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM
In the days of doublespace and drive space (remember those...?) deleting the doublespace file.
Oh the love of compressed drives.

OpenSourceRules
June 8th, 2012, 05:36 AM
My last mistake was installing without setting a swap partition and ended up halting extremely frequently.

teejay17
June 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Setting my Virtualbox hard drive size larger than the actual host machine's hard drive size. Bricked the HD indefinitely.

Andrewmham
June 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Disabled the temperature settings on a motherboard once so I could overclock; installed a new heatsink, and forgot to add the thermal compound...although forgetting to plug the heatsinks' fan in probably didn't help much either.

bobman321123
June 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
$ rm -rf *.*I "accidentally" pulled this one off via ssh on a buddies server goofing off. Had no idea I'd have that level of access.. >_<
:shock:
That.... must have sucked to explain

rk0r
June 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I dont make mistakes. - I fix them.

forrestcupp
June 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM

Mistakes have to have been made to be fixed. ;)

ubiquitin.jf
June 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I formatted my /home a week before my undergrad dissertation was due in. I'd last backed up 6 days and 7000 words previously. That was the day I decided to start using a cloud service.

|{urse
June 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM

I bet I could fix circles around you, because I learn from my mistakes daily. ;)

bobman321123
June 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I've broken Ubuntu and various other Linux's more times than I care to admit >.>

Colo2
June 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I had a media PC, and old laptop hooked to a big screen. Primarily for watching movies. The sound went, and I assumed it was the jack plug on the laptop, rendering it useless to me. So In a rage, I completely destroyed the laptop, smashing it up, ripping it apart.

Turns out later it was a dodgy external speaker I was using, the laptop was fine.

Tom

teejay17
June 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I had a media PC, and old laptop hooked to a big screen. Primarily for watching movies. The sound went, and I assumed it was the jack plug on the laptop, rendering it useless to me. So In a rage, I completely destroyed the laptop, smashing it up, ripping it apart.

Turns out later it was a dodgy external speaker I was using, the laptop was fine.

Tom
:shock:

Lightstar
June 15th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Big Mistake #1:
That was during a Windows installation (ha!)
It was the first BETA of Windows 7.

(btw, i use ubuntu 95% of the time, always kept windows for a few games that don't play well with Wine)

So... went ahead, booted up my PC with the Win7 BETA CD/DVD.
Saw my old windows installation, destroyed that partition, remade it. It was on C:\

After that, I'm assuming the hard drive partition table was rewritten by windows and not linux / gparted.
I booted the PC, chose to install to C:\

"Do you want to format it?"
/me says yes

It formats... took a mighty long time, longer than I thought it should... I wonder why?
I boot up into windows finally, see the C:\ being 500gb instead of the 150gb it should be...
hmm..

DOH!

seems that during the second bootup, windows decided that C:\ was no longer my first master hard drive, C:\ was now my external / backup drive. It wiped it clean, lost about 450gb of my documents, pictures, 1000's of mp3s and movies.

Curse the Windows 7!

When it was out of beta, I made sure to unplug my external hard drives before reinstalling it...

Big Mistake #2:
Decided to update my videocard's firmware. Yep, Not the drivers! FIRMWARE! D:
It didn't work, I had nomore video.
My motherboard had no on-board video.

I thought my only option was to "try" to return this $350 video card or trash it and get another.
What did I do? neither!

I browsed the web through my phone to find solutions, to find terminal commands.
I booted into linux, opened up the terminal using shortcut keys, downloaded the older firmware.
Made a usb bootable with the FLASH utility to flash the old firmware back to the videocard.
Made a script to autorun that utility once the pc booted up.
Keep in mind I was doing this with no pc screen. Typing blindly on a keyboard, facing a black computer screen, sometimes there was some kind of snow appearing, I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be.
After three whole days of blind typing, hundreds of reboots, I was able to get it to work.

Ha!

I'm never, ever, ever ever ever upgrading a videocard firmware again.
and the next computer I build, I'll make sure to have onboard video, just in case.

Megaptera
June 15th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I've broken Ubuntu and various other Linux's more times than I care to admit >.>

+ 1 :) ... can I call it "learning"? :confused:

roelforg
June 15th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Big Mistake #2:
Decided to update my videocard's firmware. Yep, Not the drivers! FIRMWARE! D:
It didn't work, I had nomore video.
My motherboard had no on-board video.

I thought my only option was to "try" to return this $350 video card or trash it and get another.
What did I do? neither!

I browsed the web through my phone to find solutions, to find terminal commands.
I booted into linux, opened up the terminal using shortcut keys, downloaded the older firmware.
Made a usb bootable with the FLASH utility to flash the old firmware back to the videocard.
Made a script to autorun that utility once the pc booted up.
Keep in mind I was doing this with no pc screen. Typing blindly on a keyboard, facing a black computer screen, sometimes there was some kind of snow appearing, I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be.
After three whole days of blind typing, hundreds of reboots, I was able to get it to work.

Ha!

I'm never, ever, ever ever ever upgrading a videocard firmware again.
and the next computer I build, I'll make sure to have onboard video, just in case.

You know, i've had a similar thing:
Two of my systems have onboard cards that don't work too well with the tty-videodriver, as i install ubuntu server and go from there... You'll get where this is going.
The video was inverted and gibbrish (i suspect wrong video ram offset).
You couldn't read anything you typed.
That day i learned to install openssh-server as the first thing on every new install.
After that i used an already working system to login to my switch and check what the mac addr was of the computer (that's one advantage of having a fully managed switch, you can see what MAC-addresses are on what ports).
Then i logged into the router and looked up the mac in the dhcp table to find out the ip.
Then i ssh'd into the system, reconfiguring some stuff.
The trick turned out to be to have grub give a GFX_PAYLOAD="text" with a video force option, the console has a awfully low res (80x25 chars on a 1600x1200 21.5" screen, normally the console would've been more than 125 wide and the chars wouldn't look so big and ugly, but that's life), but the thing works and i installed a gui.
The gui works and i'm happy.

bobman321123
June 16th, 2012, 11:08 PM
+ 1 :) ... can I call it "learning"? :confused:
Yes! That makes me sound like far less of a dullard... >.>

fisch246
June 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Well I didn't back my stuff up beforehand when I had to re-install Ubuntu. I tried to get into the drive last minute, to back stuff up, and at this point the drive wasn't bootable. I tried using a disc to do it, as that was my plan from the beginning. However the encryption software wasn't letting me unencrypt the drive. Had to just drop all I had. Being as everything was getting worse and worse on that partition. Probably too many bad sectors.

SilentMute
June 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM
About two years back I used a desktop all the time I thought it would be a cool idea to overclock my CPU for a little more speed, I kept getting these messages essentially stating that my CPU was too hot, but I thought nothing of it. One night I came home from class and just pouring out of my tower was a billowing column of smoke. Luckily I had my computer next to the window and a fan on so it didn't set off the smoke detectors, but that's the story of how I wound up with my laptop

--

confused57
June 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I believe that I may have won the "Dummy Award" for this one. Last
night decided to replace the stock cpu cooler on my old Celeron D with an aftermarket heatsink. Installed the heatsink, booted into bios, and the temps continued to rise. Shut the pc down, pulled the heatsink...I had forgotten to remove the plastic protective film covering the copper base.

When originally unboxing the new heatsink, I noticed the protective film & made a mental note to remove it before installing...needless to say that was the last I thought of it. Took several cleanings to get all the glue & plastic from the heatsink base. Appears no harm done.

Face-Ache
June 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
confused57, that reminds me of a customer i had a couple of years back.

I was working in Customer Service for an online retailer, who'd recently sold a little Sandisk MP3 player. I had a customer call to say that the screen was all locked up, and nothing would work on it; the on/off switch wouldn't work, the battery only showed half-full no matter how long it was charged for, and none of the other screen items ever moved or changed.

Tried a few troubleshooting things, but no changes, so got the product returned to us from the customer.

Turns out it was just the protective film that goes over the screen part of the unit, and this particular protective screen had an example of what the screen should look like once the protective film was removed! :D

Yeah, we had a good laugh about that one. It was returned to the customer with the service note "Remove protective screen film, test OKAY, return to customer :-)", along with a bizzo card for my wifes optometry practice!!!

confused57
June 25th, 2012, 05:49 AM
confused57, that reminds me of a customer i had a couple of years back.

I was working in Customer Service for an online retailer, who'd recently sold a little Sandisk MP3 player. I had a customer call to say that the screen was all locked up, and nothing would work on it; the on/off switch wouldn't work, the battery only showed half-full no matter how long it was charged for, and none of the other screen items ever moved or changed.

Tried a few troubleshooting things, but no changes, so got the product returned to us from the customer.

Turns out it was just the protective film that goes over the screen part of the unit, and this particular protective screen had an example of what the screen should look like once the protective film was removed! :D

Yeah, we had a good laugh about that one. It was returned to the customer with the service note "Remove protective screen film, test OKAY, return to customer :-)", along with a bizzo card for my wifes optometry practice!!!

Good one. The protective film on devices serve a useful purpose, it just doesn't protect the user from themselves(as I well found out). Believe your customer's experience tops mine.

catlover2
June 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I just upgraded my laptop's CPU. I unscrewed everything and took the old CPU out and put the new CPU in, and as soon as I had it all together, it wouldn't post. I had forgot to latch the CPU with its little screw. :D
After I latched it properly, it worked just fine.