PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Universal Power Supply & Ubuntu 12.04.

switcha
May 26th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a UPS in the coming months for my home environment and would like to hear from anybody currently using a UPS and what their experiences have been like with using their UPS brand and model in conjunction with ubuntu. I am currently using 11.04 and 12.04 on two of my machines and I'm thinking about purchasing a CyberPower GP 2200VA/1320W Line Interactive UPS w LCD (Model: VALUE 2200ELCD). I have read somewhere on the net that this particular model works with networkpstools but I wasn't sure if ubuntu comes with pre-installed UPS software and if that software supports this particular brand of UPS. I live in Australia so I'm looking for local experiences but all experience or info is welcome.
Thanks,
~switcha~

ahallubuntu
May 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Just one data point for you: A couple of years ago, I setup an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server (actually a desktop installation acting as a headless server). I bought an APC brand UPS and plugged it in via the USB cable, and it automatically detected it as a battery, like a laptop. That is, when the battery level is detected to be too low it will hibernate or shut down, whatever you tell it to do. I was surprised it worked so easily. Maybe you will be just as lucky.

switcha
May 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I have read APC are quite good. What was the model number you purchased and was it only for the server?
Cheers,
~switcha~