PDA

View Full Version : Stallman or Torvalds ; which on do you like more

Mr geek
May 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM
It`s been a sort of war between Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds from the begining of Linux and of course between their fans.
Now i have a question from you:
which one do you like more?

Mikeb85
May 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
It`s been a sort of war between Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds from the begining of Linux and of course between their fans.
Now i have a question from you:
which one do you like more?

Stallman has a sort of religious fervour which is somewhat unsettling... Torvalds seems to be more down to earth, pragmatic, and less crazy.

Bachstelze
May 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't say I "like" any of them, but I generally agree with them in equal measure (though obviously on different subjects). (And with Theo de Raadt more than both of them put together.)

I agree with Stallman's "Help Thy Neighbor" philosophy, but not on how he implements it (the GPL). I agree with Torvalds on technical matters (mostly, that C++ sucks), but he, too, uses the GPL.

mips
May 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM
And my daddy is bigger than your daddy.

What's the point of this poll?

Copper Bezel
May 25th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Torvalds. He's practical, human, and motivated by his interest in the work he wants to get done. He buys Apple hardware and doesn't see a dissonance. Given a choice between the "right" decision and the functional one, he chooses the functional one, whether that's "right" philosophically, in CS terms, whatever.

Everything I've seen of Stallman gives me the sense of someone motivated only by ideology. He's afraid of the internet because there might be Windows servers on it, and he chooses his hardware on the basis of its having an open-source BIOS. He does not believe in personal hygiene.

GNU / Linux needs both - they're both right there in the name - but Torvalds makes a much more presentable figurehead.

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Who?

JDShu
May 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM
They are both fiercely ideological, although I'd much rather hang out with Torvalds.

The latest developments in tech seem to have vindicated rms though, so I'm not as quick to write off what he says as I used to be.

Actually I think Matthew Garrett from Red Hat aligns closest to my opinions.

Lars Noodén
May 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
The poll is a bit trollish so I won't click on it. They're both equally important but in different ways.

roelforg
May 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
They're both equally important but in different ways.

Well said, sir. *claps*

:popcorn:

MisterGaribaldi
May 25th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Betcha this thread gets moved to Recurring Discussions, or is locked by a mod or admin because of the inherent propensity of it to lead to a flame war.

Neither Richard Stallman nor Linus Torvalds is a god, or is God, and I don't worship in the church of either one. That being said, without them there may never have been Linux, either philosophically or practically, and so it is not entirely inappropriate to show some degree of respect to both of them.

At some point, you have to draw a line in the sand and say "Here's a philosophical, foundational basis for..." and spell it out. And, frankly, no matter what you say and no matter how hard you try, there will always be those who do not agree with you. That's true of many things in life, and is just as true of technology and the F/OSS movement.

I'm simply glad that this world has produced both of them, and that they have done their best, in their own respective ways, to give back to society.

Mr geek
May 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM
And my daddy is bigger than your daddy.

What's the point of this poll?

what`s the point of other polls?I want to see which one of them is more popular in this community.

As almost all of you have mentioned , Stallman is a kind of philosopher and Torvalds is a scientist and the FOSS world needs both of them.

In my opinion stallman is more is more lovely than Torvalds and its kind cruel thing , that Torvalds doesn`t agree with Gnu/Linux.

KiwiNZ
May 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I am not into personalities or cult figures. I neither like nor dislike them, I just don't care.

Paqman
May 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Torvalds seems to be more down to earth, pragmatic, and less crazy.

This. Stallman was responsible for a lot of influential stuff in the past, but I think he's badly out of touch and no longer very relevant.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Stallman has gone off the deep end, and Torvalds is a jerk. But I can much more identify with Torvalds. I'd be more faithful to Linux than to GNU.

lisati
May 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I am not into personalities or cult figures. I neither like nor dislike them, I just don't care.

Exactly.

MisterGaribaldi
May 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
From the various videos I've seen of Richard Stallman in recent (i.e. 2005-present) times, I would like to add and suggest a few things that maybe we're overlooking here.

RMS does not approach very much of anything from a technology standpoint first; rather, he approaches it from a philosophical worldview standpoint first, and then uses that to decide how to deal with it on a physical or technical or technological basis.

He's also said that there are some kinds of things to which the GPL or copyleft doesn't really attach, or which would make no logical sense to connect the two. He's also said, iirc, that patent law is not absolutely illegitimate, but rather that it's the areas into which it has been extended which are bad.

Perhaps I feel I understand where he's coming from better than many others because, though many of my specific worldviews are different than his, I approach -- and those who's views and perspectives I respect and agree with approach -- the many and varied challenges in life the same fundamental way that RMS does.

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Ditto, the people I know, who are verified scholars, are about the humblest people I know.

They don't want the labels nor the limitations of this to close their minds to the creativity that got them there to begin with.

Even some of our greatest, who served all of us, put their pants on one leg at a time, unless in a hurry of course. :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Betcha this thread gets moved to Recurring Discussions, or is locked by a mod or admin because of the inherent propensity of it to lead to a flame war.

I'm not going to vote nor say anything other than the following:

I got my only infraction quite a while ago for posting in a similar thread. It was a 1-point infraction. I didn't contest it. I suggested in my post that I wouldn't be surprised if I got an infraction.

For everyone posting, be considerate of other people's feelings on this touchy subject.

23dornot23d
May 25th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I like that he has stuck to his stance on human rights (http://www.youtube.com/results?q=stallman+human+rights&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1) and is always speaking out and letting people know about current things that could affect people in later life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2m0xxPtvpw
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2m0xxPtvpw)
His stance for Free software and the fact that some of the people that use it may not be able to afford some packages, so to at least get a feel for things and get started he has advocated for these basic rights for all .....

Linus is equally popular but Stallmans good words for humanity always stand out for me. :D

Bandit
May 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Stallman has a sort of religious fervour which is somewhat unsettling... Torvalds seems to be more down to earth, pragmatic, and less crazy.

This..

Dont get me wrong I respect Rich for what he has done. But he is like that weird friend of yours that you dont mined talking to but scared to be seen with in public for the fear he may do something embarrassing.

not found
May 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

cecilpierce
May 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm not going to vote nor say anything other than the following:

I got my only infraction quite a while ago for posting in a similar thread. It was a 1-point infraction. I didn't contest it. I suggested in my post that I wouldn't be surprised if I got an infraction.

For everyone posting, be considerate of other people's feelings on this touchy subject.

I thought I was the only one to get an infraction !

By the way, who is Stallman ???
:P

Copper Bezel
May 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM
He's actually softened in his hate for Shell.

MisterGaribaldi, I would tend to agree that principles come first. However, one must be practical in pursuing them. Frankly, that's the difference between a worldview like yours and one like Stallman's.

Stallman has gone off the deep end, and Torvalds is a jerk. But I can much more identify with Torvalds. I'd be more faithful to Linux than to GNU.
See, I stop before that last sentence. I use Ubuntu, and I like Ubuntu. I like the people behind Ubuntu, which include the people behind Unity. The people behind Shell are, well, Gnome. Yet I use Shell, because I feel it's a better tool for the tasks I actually need to accomplish. The case is the same here, for me. I like the GNU operating system and I appreciate that it runs a Linux kernel. But it could be running Mach, and I'd still use it over, say, Android, or even a GNU-free KDE on a Linux kernel. It's nice when people and software line up, but I don't take it for granted.

MisterGaribaldi
May 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM
See, people have different world views, and while I suppose we could sit here all day and argue whether it's nature or nurture, one thing we cannot argue is that it is a fact.

It is my understanding that Linus likes the ideals of OSS, but that he doesn't necessarily spend hour upon hour contemplating the morals and ethics of it like some kind of bearded wizard meditating in the middle of a garden.

No, that image, ladies and gentlemen, is reserved exclusively for Richard Stallman, who not only would, but probably has.

haqking
May 25th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I admire anyone who will publicly eat toe jam and not care about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

;-)

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I admire anyone who will publicly eat toe jam and not care about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

;-)

I thought that was buried in a deep vault somewhere, never to appear again. There's no way I'm clicking that link again. :)

Linuxratty
May 26th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Actually I think Matthew Garrett from Red Hat aligns closest to my opinions.

Torvalds...What vids by Matthew Garrett would you suggest?