PDA

View Full Version : Is Firefox getting worse or is it just me?

fixitdude
May 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
As I keep upgrading it seems like Firefox versions are getting worse and worse.

Is it just me?

You are viewing a page, you grab the scroll bar and start pulling it down, the page doesn't scroll so you pull on it harder and all of a sudden the page scrolls way too far. (scroll delay)

Intermittent, you don't know when it's going to happen.

Annoying.

Nothing else is running, CPU load is nothing. Memory is good. Even the page I am scrolling is simple.

User controls should be a priority.

Anyone else?

woxuxow
May 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Firefox 1 , 2 and 3 was great but after 3 when they followed google it got worst and worst

now i use opera
it is not open source but it is the best

Son of MaxVK
May 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Personally I never liked Firefox so I always usee Opera, now this is Chrome which seems much faster and responsive to me.

Haneef Mubarak
May 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Try Opera or Chrome. And if you really feel strongly for Firefox, protest in their forums citing a list of reasons and also file a few bug reports. It'll make your claim easier to understand and your claim will seem more legitimate.

Personally, I use Chrome.

Happy hunting!

makitso
May 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Firefox in 12.04 has lots of problems. Flash it the main one on 64bit. PDF's are another item that seems inconsistent -- first works, second pdf file does not display.

qamelian
May 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Not having any issues with it here. Firefox is still the only browser that meets my needs.

flemur13013
May 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I had similar hangs/delays until disabling the flash plugin. (64bit, FF12, Ub 12). No other fixes worked. (The flash version didn't matter, gnash didn't matter, the video driver didn't matter, etc, etc). It's easy to turn on/off with the AIO sidebar installed and I've found that I don't need flash much at all.

kurt18947
May 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I've tried a few different browsers but FireFox is still primary for me. I know there are a lot of chrome/chromium fans; I'm not one. I've tried Chromium and FireFox on the same pages at the same time and can't discern any speed difference. I use flash-aid and no flash problems on 64 bit systems. It also seems to me that Mozilla has less incentive to do things that are not in my best interest.

Will there be issues with FireFox and Flash down the road? There may be, and I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. It would be nice if Flash were to become irrelevant sooner rather than later but how long has it taken for I.E. 6 to become irrelevant? That's with nearly everyone, including Microsoft trying to kill it.

wojox
May 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
You are viewing a page, you grab the scroll bar and start pulling it down, the page doesn't scroll so you pull on it harder and all of a sudden the page scrolls way too far. (scroll delay)

I've seen this on all browsers and Os's. Web designers load to much content. :P

HunterDX77M
May 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I've used FF for a long time and at one time was convinced I would never use any other browser. But after the rapid release nonsense, I think FF lost touch with itself and it's users and I gradually moved over to Chrome. I never looked back since.

I do use it now occasionally, when I need to go on a site that is not necessarily trusted and need NoScript to watch my back, but other than that, Chrome all the way.

mrgs
May 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Moved to Recurring.

Roasted
May 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Chrome is my main browser, however with the introduction of Firefox 10 (the long term one) I've had some restored confidence in Firefox. They still do a great job and still have their place, but the rapid release concept really was a bad, bad move. But at any rate, they're slowly regaining my trust, however not to the degree of Chrome. It just flows a bit better with my usage.

Bucky Ball
May 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Was forever crashing for me (and on my wife's computer). Just moved to Iron yesterday (and installed on the other computer tonight). Love it; fast, simple, works with standalone Zotero, does what I want without geting in the way and, so far, solid and fast. Not a crash to be reported, at least in twenty four hours.

Maybe you'd like to give it a try?

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Another user in another thread put me on to it. Took me a day of tweaking about and learning but now I have it just as I want it. ;)

woxuxow
May 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Was forever crashing for me (and on my wife's computer). Just moved to Iron yesterday (and installed on the other computer tonight). Love it; fast, simple, works with standalone Zotero, does what I want without geting in the way and, so far, solid and fast. Not a crash to be reported, at least in twenty four hours.

Maybe you'd like to give it a try?

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Another user in another thread put me on to it. Took me a day of tweaking about and learning but now I have it just as I want it. ;)

what is the difference between SRWare Iron and chromium ? name or ...

Bucky Ball
May 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Iron doesn't gobble up and collect your browsing nor predict what you want. It is a heavily reworked version with lots of privacy tweaks. Have a look at the web site. It flies.

pissedoffdude
May 30th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Nah, you've just been exposed to chrome :P

But really, I haven't had any major problems with firefox. I just happen to prefer the speed of chrome

ExSuSEusr
May 30th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I don't know it is getting worse or not - but I have had a lot of mysterious crashes as of late. Nothing so sever that would cause me to uninstall it - but I run Chrome a lot more now.

In fact the only time I use Firefox now is if I want to download a video.

wilee-nilee
May 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Firefox is my primary browser, and runs as fast as chrome or opera, you just have to know which add ons to use.

Having cookies is a waste of time, you're most likely being tracked by some at the least. Firefox will remember your passwords if you chose to allow it per password is the method I use, the info is there.

Having any flash enabled except for favorite sites as well will slow it down, see the noscript addon, you can disable all of them then choose the ones you want.

Save no history, and some choice addons makes it run fast, never had a problem with it to be honest it is like any app, understanding how it works is the key.

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Iron doesn't gobble up and collect your browsing nor predict what you want. It is a heavily reworked version with lots of privacy tweaks. Have a look at the web site. It flies.
Since the source code is not available anymore, IIRC, there may be no way of telling whether "heavily reworked version with lots of privacy tweaks" is currently true oe not. Also, most, if not all, of the privacy tweaks can be accomplished from Chrome's GUI itself.

I prefer Chrome for security reasons since it is more heavily scanned for vulnerabilities.

Bucky Ball
May 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Since the source code is not available anymore, IIRC, there may be no way of telling whether "heavily reworked version with lots of privacy tweaks" is currently true oe not.

Well, you can find out on the link on the home page of their site (if you look).

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

sammiev
May 30th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Firefox is my primary browser, and runs as fast as chrome or opera, you just have to know which add ons to use.

Having cookies is a waste of time, you're most likely being tracked by some at the least. Firefox will remember your passwords if you chose to allow it per password is the method I use, the info is there.

Having any flash enabled except for favorite sites as well will slow it down, see the noscript addon, you can disable all of them then choose the ones you want.

Save no history, and some choice addons makes it run fast, never had a problem with it to be honest it is like any app, understanding how it works is the key.

+1 here as well for FF. Never had issues myself and tested most others.
Running FF12 & FF15.

gamblor01
May 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I was a die-hard FF fan since I first stumbled upon it in the 1.0/1.5 days (not precisely sure when). I immediately fell in love with it. It had so many great features that IE didn't have, it was open-source, and its rendering engine (mostly) followed SPECIFICATIONS, which Microsoft seems to ignore. They just don't care -- they implement things however they feel like. I thought that something would change since but I currently work on a Java web app and I can tell you that there are conditional statements for IE all over our code.

Firefox had incremental search, tabbed browsing, extensions, themes, etc. It was clearly superior to IE in every way. I have been running Firefox religiously since then, and even purchased a Firefox shirt from the Mozilla store.

But that all changed in 2010, when I tried Chromium for the first time. At first I didn't really care for it, but once I found the integrated developer tools I never really looked back. I found that tool to be much more user-friendly than Firebug (and I didn't have to update to the latest version every time I received a FF update). I also saw FF attempt to look more and more like Chrome, and then go into this rapid release cycle which seems to have just confused everyone. And I know this is a silly reason, but I also think Chromium (using Greyscale theme!) just looks sleeker/prettier than Firefox (even with my favorite theme).

So I'm going to have to agree -- FF seems to be going downhill. I rarely ever use it for anything these days, but I still have a special place in my heart for it and I really hope they continue to produce a great browser.

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Well, you can find out on the link on the home page of their site (if you look).

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
Yes, I do generally look and read a lot about browsers.

Did you notice that, although the page has been modified today, the latest date on the page is June 26th, 2009?
Really, not much has changed on that page for quite some time. I know because I visit it whenever someone extols the virtues of Iron.

Did you notice Altavista in the meta tags?

AltaVista was a web search engine owned by Yahoo!. AltaVista was once one of the most popular search engines but its popularity declined with the rise of Google. In 2010, Yahoo! announced that it plans to discontinue the site.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista

And isn't this just a bit ironic? (I've modified things a bit so that I don't cause problems!)

<scrxpt type="text/javascrxpt"><!--
g00gle_ad_client = "pub-7660126234285482";
/* 468x60, SRWare_unten */
g00gle_ad_slot = "7061117840";
g00gle_ad_width = 468;
g00gle_ad_height = 60;
//-->
</scrxpt>
<scrxpt type="text/javascrxpt"
src="http://pagead2.g00glesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

And this (also modified)?

<scrxpt type="text/javascrxpt">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "g00gle-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascrxpt'%3E%3C/scrxpt%3E"));
</scrxpt>
<scrxpt type="text/javascrxpt">
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-3764200-1");
pageTracker._initData();
pageTracker._trackPageview();
</scrxpt>

All in all, I do look at sites and do a lot of reading before I choose to allow a browser on my system.

Based on what I look at and read, I certainly wouldn't recommend this particular browser to anyone.

Back on topic, my feeling is that Firefox and most other browsers are getting better with each version. There are elementary maintenance measures that we, the users, must take to ensure things run smoothly.

Bucky Ball
May 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM
... my feeling is that Firefox and most other browsers are getting better with each version.

So which one do you use?

vasa1
May 30th, 2012, 07:06 AM
So which one do you use?

Firefox beta (currently 13) customized with Stylish; content blocking via SimpleBlock and Privoxy. I use this for most of my general browsing. Both SimpleBlock and Privoxy log what's going on and that lets me refine browsing permissions such as scripts.
Chrome stable for GMail, GDrive and online financial transactions.
Seamonkey for its Composer facility that lets me edit HTML files I save from the net.
And now I'm trying Midori because I want a light browser to open the occasional page which I normally wouldn't visit. I set this browser up to delete everything on exit. (For Firefox and Chrome I need to retain certain cookies and local storage.)

GSF1200S
May 31st, 2012, 03:57 AM
I think it is always fashionable at some point to switch to something new; this is where I think a lot of Chrome users start. I also think Chrome at one point (namely its introduction) was vastly faster than Firefox. At this point however, I think they are basically the same.

I used firefox back on version 2, and that was SLOW crashy GARBAGE. Even though I think this numbering system is a bit ridiculous, Firefox has definitely gotten faster and more stable.

Everyone talks abouts Chrome's speed, but in most if not all real world situations, Firefox seems just as fast to me. Also, Chrome is a RAM hog waaaay worse than Firefox is. Firefox can also be setup to use less screen space than Chrome, use larger text (better for seeing screen laying in bed), and the mouse gestures extension works waaay better.

I prefer Firefox definitely, and it kind of shocks me how it seems like EVERYONE is casting off Firefox as crap. About the only thing I wish theyd change is the sqlite database- after a while it gets slow, I need to back up my bookmarks, scrapbook, then copy and paste in my new profile folder (I have a fresh backup so this process takes 5 seconds). True, Chrome doesnt have this issue (i dont think), but it has its own.

tiosus
May 31st, 2012, 04:02 AM
for web developers firefox always is the best!
sometime little and sometime more.....

Shadius
May 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
I use Firefox most of the time. I only use Chrome when I need the Flash. Chrome is experiencing a scroll lag on my Ubuntu, yet Firefox scrolls just perfectly. I see no performance difference between Firefox and Chrome. I do like the minimalistic design of Chrome though.

jmore9
May 31st, 2012, 04:35 AM
Only problem with firefox 12 i have is it is sluggish with the bookmark list. Other than that works just fine.

vasa1
May 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
.... About the only thing I wish theyd change is the sqlite database- after a while it gets slow, I need to back up my bookmarks, scrapbook, then copy and paste in my new profile folder (I have a fresh backup so this process takes 5 seconds). ...
I think they are aware of the problem and now have a reset facility. You can read more about it here:http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems. I understand that it's in Firefox beta (ver. 13). A caveat seems to be that your extensions may need to be re-installed. Do check the link out and post your thoughts! (I haven't used it.)

fixitdude
May 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
About the only thing I wish theyd change is the sqlite database- after a while it gets slow, I need to back up my bookmarks, scrapbook, then copy and paste in my new profile folder (I have a fresh backup so this process takes 5 seconds). True, Chrome doesnt have this issue (i dont think), but it has its own.I got something for that, have this run every time you start up the computer...

sqlite3 .mozilla/firefox/USER-OR-WHATEVER.default/places.sqlite "vacuum"

It helps.

codingman
May 31st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Firefox doesn't seem to be getting better, try chrome, it's improving decently, i've been using it from the start of it.

gamblor01
June 2nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
for web developers firefox always is the best!
sometime little and sometime more.....

I would be curious what makes you think that FF is better for developers. Because of Firebug? If so, Chrome has integrated developer tools that they deliver. These tools were actually the main reason that I switched to Chrome as my default browser. I'm a software developer and work on a web application right now (JavaScript client with Java server and Oracle DB). I personally found Chrome JavaScript debugger to be considerably more intuitive and user-friendly than FF and have pretty much jumped ship at this point. Some stuff you can do with Chrome (which is, I'm sure, similar to other browsers):

- set breakpoints and step through debugger (including a toggle switch to stop on no exceptions, only uncaught exceptions, or all exceptions)
- add watches for any expression you like
- modify CSS on the fly and see it immediately reflect in the browser
- modify JavaScript code as well and run it immediately (the changes are lost when you reload the page of course)
- view information about all resources requested from the server
- identify elements by using the little magnifying glass tool which will jump you directly to element in the HTML code

So if you have some specifics on what developer tools you use in FF and why you think they are better, I would be interested to know so that I can check them out! I personally found Chrome's tools to be much better...