PDA

View Full Version : Well, looks like fun coming

Duf_Sh
June 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm not into Microsoft bashing, in fact I despise using this as a way of promoting Ubuntu (which is more than able to look great on its own), but this news looks like there's gonna be some fun coming in the non-free world. Billy's a great guy, doing lots of money and sometime very innovative software (I know, they did get weak lately, but they usually do the job), but his mind is pretty much set against anything that sounds even remotely like free (as in free speech) software.
Maybe some fresh blood at the head of Microsoft will give them a new direction and (we can hope) a desire to collaborate with Linux community, like IBM, SUN, and the likes do. Hell, that would be ironic, but at last we would be out of the Microsoft bashing/FUD war that's been going on for ages.

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not into Microsoft bashing, in fact I despise using this as a way of promoting Ubuntu (which is more than able to look great on its own), but this news looks like there's gonna be some fun coming in the non-free world. Billy's a great guy, doing lots of money and sometime very innovative software (I know, they did get weak lately, but they usually do the job), but his mind is pretty much set against anything that sounds even remotely like free (as in free speech) software.
Maybe some fresh blood at the head of Microsoft will give them a new direction and (we can hope) a desire to collaborate with Linux community, like IBM, SUN, and the likes do. Hell, that would be ironic, but at last we would be out of the Microsoft bashing/FUD war that's been going on for ages.

This has already been discussed, and IMHO your wrong.

The latest figures I read was that MS stock has dropped by 16% in the last year or something?

Trust me when I say that MS will be a lot more aggressive from now on.....

If there ever was a reason for Ubuntu, now is the time.

Duf_Sh
June 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that from now on one should wait eagerly for Shiny New Microsoft products. Personnaly, I made the switch to linux a year ago and wouldn't go back for anything in the world. What I'm trying to say is that maybe, just maybe, the new CEO will realize that Microsoft is going the wrong way with FUD and refusal to collaborate (aside from trying to help SCO in their attempt to take over the free world). With stock prices coming way down, delivery problems on their new and largely advertised products and major communication problems, it doesn't take an economy degree to see that they're headed in the wrong direction.

Biltong (Dee)
June 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
There is retire and then there is retire-with-conditions.
What's the bet that the 'Gates guiding hand' will never be far away?
I believe it will be business as usual, and I bet I'm right.

EDIT: Another nasty thought crosses my mind.
Why is he retiring before Vista's Launch? Does he know something we don't?

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
There is retire and then there is retire-with-conditions.
What's the bet that the 'Gates guiding hand' will never be far away?
I believe it will be business as usual, and I bet I'm right.

EDIT: Another nasty thought crosses my mind.
Why is he retiring before Vista's Launch? Does he know something we don't?

he will remain on the board and will be a key advisor. after all he built a fantastic corporation.
Also his retirement starts 2008 ,vista will be close to sp1 by then.

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
he will remain on the board and will be a key advisor. after all he built a fantastic corporation.
Also his retirement starts 2008 ,vista will be close to sp1 by then.

He's leaving his current post as "Head of software development" with immediate effect though......

Something is afoot....... :?:

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
He's leaving his current post as "Head of software development" with immediate effect though......

Something is afoot....... :?:
he has been reducing his involvement gradually over the last few years.It is something that makes sense.
I have a reasonable stock holding in MSFT and I am not concerned.;)

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM
he has been reducing his involvement gradually over the last few years.It is something that makes sense.
I have a reasonable stock holding in MSFT and I am not concerned.;)

You demon worshipper you! :p :p :p

poofyhairguy
June 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
What I'm trying to say is that maybe, just maybe, the new CEO will realize that Microsoft is going the wrong way with FUD and refusal to collaborate (aside from trying to help SCO in their attempt to take over the free world).

Billy hasn't been the CEO of MS since the 90's. Ever since like 2001 Ballmer has been in charge. Ballmer is the king of FUD.

Don't get your hopes up- MS is far more than the sum of Bill Gates.

Anduu
June 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Regardless I bet dollars to doughtnut Bill will have the last say on anything Microsift does.