PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have stop using Firefox

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
With the advancement in other browsers over the last couple of years a lot people have drooped firefox and have switched over to something else.

Are you still using firefox or have you also made the switch like many have. If So what is your browser of choice and plugins?

Thanks

My Browser
Chrome

My Plugins

AdBlock 2.5.33
The most popular Chrome extension, with over 4 million users! Blocks ads all over the web.

Adblock Plus (Beta) 1.2
Ads were yesterday! The successful extension Adblock Plus is now available for Google Chrome™.

Ask Ubuntu 1.0
Bookmark for askubuntu.com.

ColorZilla 0.5.2
Advanced Eyedropper, Color Picker, Gradient Generator and other colorful goodies

Deb Package Search 2.0.0
Deb Package Search, search among all *.deb packages in the official repositories.

Firebug Lite for Google Chrome™ 1.4.0.11967
Firebug Lite for Google Chrome, supported by the Firebug Working Group.

Hide My ***! Web Proxy 1.2.5
Official HMA! Web Proxy extension; easily switch to secure anonymous browsing.

JavaScript Popup Blocker 1.0.5
A powerful popup blocker for JavaScript popup windows.

MeasureIt! 1.1.3
Draw out a ruler that will help you get the pixel width and height of any elements on a webpage.

Megavideo Forwarder 1.3.1
Forward Megavideo to other services to skip 72 min time limit. Auto-detects hidden links.

Megavideo Playerplus 1.7.3
Tired of the Megavideo player? Megavideo Playerplus replaces the video player with the better JW player or Flowplayer, plus many extras!

Stylish 0.10
Restyle the web with Stylish, a user styles manager. Stylish lets you easily install themes and skins for Google, Facebook, YouTube, Orkut, and many, many other sites.

WOT 1.2.14
Web of Trust shows you which websites people trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the web.

YouTube Downloader: MP3 / HD Video Download 12.0
Download any video from YouTube as an MP3 or an HD Video. Adds a download button to YouTube video pages.

smellyman
May 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
Ff

odiseo77
May 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
I still use Firefox (actually, Iceweasel, since I use Debian), and I don't feel comfortable using anything else, except Opera, sometimes. I don't have many plugins installed, only NoScript and a downloader of multimedia content (don't remember its name and I'm at work right now, so I can't check).

sandyd
May 23rd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Completely nuked firefox.

Since Adobe stopped their NSAPI plugins on linux, I decided to stop using it all, and transfered everything to chrome with xmarks.

Mikeb85
May 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM
I use Chrome. The UI is nicer, more intuitive, it integrates nicely with Google's other services, and Firefox has some annoyances and bugs which I don't like to deal with. After Chrome, my next favourite browser would have to be Opera. Firefox is near the bottom, with Safari and IE.

kevdog
May 23rd, 2012, 12:44 AM
FF FTW! Noscript extension was nice -- and when it worked so was FireGPG but that is since defunct.

not found
May 23rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
I started using Chrome just because it takes away any possible headaches with Flash... But I still think FF is awesome!

|{urse
May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 AM
If you count aurora, I still do.

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Has anyone here thought about making a forums plugin for chrome ?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/ubuntu%20?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

EDIT
looks there is one installing now
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=218525&stc=1&d=1337731288

odiseo77
May 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM
FF FTW! Noscript extension was nice -- and when it worked so was FireGPG but that is since defunct.

You mean NoScript is no longer being developed? :o I would swear I got an automatic update a few days ago, but I'm not sure. (Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post, but since you talk in past time, I'm curious).

Cheers.

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2012, 01:09 AM
I have been using only FF nightly builds since Namoroka 3.6 and I also use Opera . Flash has never been a problem and Chrome will be installed if needed in the future .

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 01:16 AM
what are thought's on this plugin ?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn/details

also how many of you use webM and not flash ? I use webM for almost everything that I watch. (youtube and other google related stuff)
EDIT
webM
http://www.webmproject.org/

wilee-nilee
May 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
I would use SRWare Iron if I wanted chrome but I use neither, FF with assorted add ons and opera with add ons, both run as fast as chrome. I have never liked chrome, I'm not sure why to be honest.

Bandit
May 23rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Main reason I still use Firefox is: Better XML Stylesheet support and most of all. Why O Why cant it not have a dang Bookmarks button.. It used to support it, now no unless I am loosing my mind.

Herpythebrony
May 23rd, 2012, 01:26 AM
I use SRWare Iron cause it is chromium without the crashes. And Chrome without Google stalking you.

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2012, 01:28 AM
what are thought's on this plugin ?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn/details

also how many of you use webM and not flash ? I use webM for almost everything that I watch. (youtube and other google related stuff)
EDIT
webM

I use NotScripts for Opera and It works fine. I have not tried webM .

scouser73
May 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM
Google Chrome as my main browser, and Chromium as a backup.

wilee-nilee
May 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM
Main reason I still use Firefox is: Better XML Stylesheet support and most of all. Why O Why cant it not have a dang Bookmarks button.. It used to support it, now no unless I am loosing my mind.

You have several choices with the toolbar buttons add-on

MadmanRB
May 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM
I have, its on the side and used only for a handful of non flash websites.

Peripheral Visionary
May 23rd, 2012, 03:05 AM
Completely nuked FF in favor of the Seamonkey suite for most browsing and e-mail. But toying with Midori which used to be crash-prone but now seems much more stable, and certainly fast!

aysiu
May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 AM
Firefox has everything I want in a browser.

Chrome does not:
Chrome fails again – back to Firefox (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/chrome-fails-again-back-to-firefox/)
The extension that makes Google Chrome bearable (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/the-extension-that-makes-google-chrome-bearable/)

smellyman
May 23rd, 2012, 03:25 AM
Google hype cannot be stopped.

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
April 2011 Firefox had 42.9%, Chrome 25.6%
April 2012 Firefox had 35.8%, Chrome 38.3%

smellyman
May 23rd, 2012, 03:35 AM

You know how many people see the "make the internet faster, download Google Chrome" and do it. I get that all the time at work. "It says I should download google Chrome." With click happy people and Google's reach and hype it is inevitable to take over.

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Granted Google have a very successful marketing campaign, it shows that it pays to advertise something I have no problem with. As a result Chromes user base has grown considerably at the cost of both Firefox and IE

MisterGaribaldi
May 23rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
I quit using Firefox a while ago, actually. I don't like the additional vector for invasion installing Flash Player on your own adds. Chrome keeps it nice and isolated, and there are no other issues.

And, frankly, I find it annoying and irritating any time I have to use FF or IE and I can't do real searches in the URL field like I can with Chrome.

I'll admit it: I'm totally spoiled with Chrome.

Lemuriano
May 23rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
After I try Seamonkey Suite the choice was easy. As for Google Chrome or Chromium, it would never be in my list of options.

eyeofliberty
May 23rd, 2012, 04:17 AM
I had switched to using Chrome up until just a couple of months ago, but now it's back to FF. Frankly, I started getting freaked out by Google as a corporate entity, its increasing ubiquitousness, and tracking in Chrome. I'm sure I could have installed extensions to combat that, but I gave FF another go (I left it because it seemed to be getting slow in comparison, around FF 6 (?) I think), and the speed was fast, so there you go. I do like SRWare Iron, though, I was using it on the Mac at work, so I'll probably check out the Linux version.

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM

Where did you get these number's ? Thanks

KiwiNZ
May 23rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
Where did you get these number's ? Thanks

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 05:05 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Thanks

Lucradia
May 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
I can't because I don't like Webkit nor Presto. Gecko always works for me, and will always work for me.

Also these,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758275

smellyman
May 23rd, 2012, 05:40 AM
Chrome also doesn't have "zoom text only". So for us poor eyesighted people, when you zoom text, it causes webpages to run off screen and you have to then also scroll right. Drives me crazy.

zombifier25
May 23rd, 2012, 05:41 AM
You can try using a chainsaw and I still wouldn't leave Firefox because:
1. I use about 30 addons, many of which is not found in Chrome. Despite that, it's still fast.
2. It's fast, and it gets faster with every release. People keep complaining about a slow Firefox, while they themselves has like a truckload of addons installed.
3. It's built by Mozilla, which strives to build a better web and I support them. Google... not so much.

vasa1
May 23rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
EDIT
webM

Could you please explain how you do that? In other words, if you visit YouTube.com how do you force the video to be played using webM?

aysiu
May 23rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
And, frankly, I find it annoying and irritating any time I have to use FF or IE and I can't do real searches in the URL field like I can with Chrome. Actually, I do real searches in the URL field in Firefox all the time. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the "instant search" thing where Google tries to guess what you're searching for? Or are you talking about just typing a search term in the address bar and then having it go to a Google search?

vasa1
May 23rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
Are you still using firefox or have you also made the switch like many have. If So what is your browser of choice and plugins?
I use Firefox, Seamonkey, and Chrome. My most heavily customized browser is Firefox and I use it the most.

I use Seamonkey to view sites I otherwise wouldn't and then clear everything on exit.

I use Chrome for accessing Google Drive and GMail and to visit a few other sites.

With Chrome, I use AdBlock Plus (Beta) 1.2, High Contrast 0.4, and Stylish 0.10.

chugtairizwan
May 23rd, 2012, 06:39 AM
I am still using Firefox, features are still very good and ow-sum of Firefox.

Kantis
May 23rd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Chromium (or Chrome) + Unity is just the most space-saving option for a small netbook screen, and that's what I use. Also, images from the website of the main newspaper of my country looked pixelated in Firefox, and as that is my main news source, FF wasn't the ideal choice.

josephmills
May 23rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
Could you please explain how you do that? In other words, if you visit YouTube.com how do you force the video to be played using webM?

sure find a youtube page like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRRrJEwZ3E

then we add this to the end &webm=1

so it should look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRRrJEwZ3E&webm=1

that is it say go by to flash.

Here is more if you would like too read
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Paqman
May 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM
I still have Firefox on all my machines, but the only thing I've used it for in the last couple of years is Ebay, because Chrome doesn't work properly (sort it out Ebay!).

Firefox used to be king of the heap, but went badly wonky in the year or so before Chrome came out. It's caught up a little since then, but is still well behind IMO. Just things like their incredibly awkward implementation of bookmark sync put me off.

Hylas de Niall
May 23rd, 2012, 07:06 AM
Chromium (or Chrome) + Unity is just the most space-saving option for a small netbook screen

'f11' ~ hides all the menus and bars in pretty much every browser. Hitting it again brings them back.

Still 'Ff' for me on most of my installs, but 'Chromium' (though i really don't like it much) on Freezy, and 'Seamonkey' on Easypeasy.

azkraja
May 23rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
I started using Chrome since Jan because Firefox was not helping me for live stream (Media Player Plugins)
Chrome is fast and having most of the add on,s which is available in Firefox.
What should i need extra from Firefox?

MG&TL
May 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
I use Web (epiphany). I like the "web in a box" idea. When flash doesn't work (which I'm afraid is often) I drop back to FF.

Erik1984
May 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Firefox still :guitar:

Face-Ache
May 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I use Firefox, Chromium as a backup.

I thought this was quite a well-balanced article;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/250566/which_browser_should_you_use.html

Lightstar
May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
I use Firefox on my PC, Chromium on my netbook.

BlinkinCat
May 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Firefox still :guitar:

Me too - :p

phibxr
May 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
I use Chrome under Windows and Firefox under Ubuntu. :)

jerrylamos
May 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
I test QQ on a couple PC's and run Linux on a couple notebooks - first thing I do on a linux install is crank up synaptic and completely remove Chromium which automatically installs Firefox. I use lots and lots of bookmarks and have never been able easily handle them with Chromium.

Why bother with Chromium when Firefox does what I want to do. With less disk space. And I'm familiar with the settings & applications seems to me less keystrokes than Chromium.

Why would disk space matter? On this netbook Ive got Windoze...7 with lots of support for the unique hardware (hardly ever use it, mostly useful if I sell the netbook), Meerkat works with my daughter's wireless, Precise Pangolin, Quantal Quetzal, an empty partition for whenever there's a QQ Lubuntu i386, Lots of partitions...

More browsers the merrier (well,I don't use Internet Explorer).

Jerry

codingman
May 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
i've been using chrome ever since it came out, firefox uses too much ram

digithal
May 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I use Chrome under Windows and Firefox under Ubuntu. :)
The same. GNU/Linux version always performed better for me so I'm still using it.

vasa1
May 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM

then we add this to the end &webm=1...
Thanks for the clarification, but for this to work, doesn't it require that the video be available in WebM format in the first place? In other words, currently won't only a fraction of videos available on YouTube will work this way?

If such videos are available, both Chrome and Firefox can play them without the Flash plug-in.

LemursDontExist
May 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
i've been using chrome ever since it came out, firefox uses too much ram

I switched to Chromium because of this, and because when it came out it was substantially faster and more responsive than Firefox. Now I've got 8GB of ram, and people are saying Firefox has caught up some in speed, so maybe I should try it again.

But Chromium does everything I want, does it fast, with relatively little memory use, and is very stable. Unless someone tells me that Firefox has actually gotten faster than Chromium, it's hard to see why I'd use it.

I don't really understand why people would use Chrome instead of Chromium on Linux. Can anyone out there using Chrome tell me?

Bucky Ball
May 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I would switch in a minute, not sure what to. Firefox is forever crashing randomly on me and is totally unstable (on a couple of machines). Problem is, my life is wrapped up in the Zotero plugin and not sure if that works in anything else. I'll have a check ...

Paqman
May 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't really understand why people would use Chrome instead of Chromium on Linux. Can anyone out there using Chrome tell me?

It's got a built-in PDF viewer, and is marginally more stable.

rasmus91
May 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have used Chrome, i have tried Opera, and some of the others.

FF is still my favorite, nothing does the job as well as FF IMO.

mips
May 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
I have not used firefox in years. Chromium all the way!

Firefox is dog slow. The only benefit I see with FF or Chromium is that it uses less memory.

vasa1
May 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
It's got a built-in PDF viewer, and is marginally more stable.
And Flash player. I feel Chrome (stable and beta) is far more likely to be stable because it undergoes more testing than a Chromium build.

MisterGaribaldi
May 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Actually, I do real searches in the URL field in Firefox all the time. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the "instant search" thing where Google tries to guess what you're searching for? Or are you talking about just typing a search term in the address bar and then having it go to a Google search?

I'm talking about your last point: just tying search terms and having it do a Google search.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'm talking about your last point: just tying search terms and having it do a Google search.
Firefox does this already and has for a long time.

black veils
May 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
firefox is the best web browser for me, the way it can be customised, been using it for about 4 years.

my extensions are:

- adblock plus

- dblclicker

- default full zoom level

- firesizer

- minimizetotray revived

- reload every

- webmail notifier

Artemis3
May 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm still using Firefox (v12 atm). Don't like Chrome, uses too much ram and cpu, and don't like Google corp, its becoming too invasive.

Firefox is very stable for me, I can leave it open for days and days and days, and because the session is saved, closing & opening is painless.

Measure your ram usage with many tabs open and the truth comes out.

Currently using:

Adblock Lite
Add on Compatibility Reporter
BBCodeXtra
BetterCache
CookieMonster
DownloadHelper
Download statusbar
DownThemAll
ErrorZilla Mod
Extended Statusbar
Fasterfox Lite
Ghostery
Header Spy
HTTPS-Everywhere
MAFIAAFIRE: Gee No evil!
MAFIAAFire Redirector
No Redirect
No Script
QuickProxy
RefControl
ShareMeNot
SkipScreen
Stylish
Tamper Data
Tree Style Tab
User Agent Switcher
WorldIP

Erik1984
May 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
My active extensions right now are:

- FlagFox (displays server location in address bar)
- NoScript
- FlashAid (from our fellow forum member lovinglinux)
- FireBug

Furthermore I installed a theme to give Firefox a more native look on KDE environments.

Lucradia
May 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM

then we add this to the end &webm=1

so it should look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRRrJEwZ3E&webm=1

that is it say go by to flash.

Here is more if you would like too read
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Firefox can't see that video with webm, even though Firefox supports it. Still uses Flash.

xytron
May 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I like Chrome the best.

The problem is I'm constantly getting the "waiting for cache", so I've stopped using it. I think this is some type of bug in Chrome because the other browsers don't do this.

Now I mostly use Safari or Firefox.

temp2012
May 23rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
Firefox with a large number if plugins us highly inefficient. Also I highly doubt that anyone really needs a large number of plugins. I work with computers and most of. our users have switched to Chrome. Firefox annoys people because it is constantly trying to update stuff. Its a real pain if you need to do something quickly

LemursDontExist
May 23rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
And Flash player. I feel Chrome (stable and beta) is far more likely to be stable because it undergoes more testing than a Chromium build.

I generally just use the chromium-browser package in the repo, which seems to come with a built in Flash Player, and I don't think I've ever had it crash.

I could see using Chrome if you're using a bleeding edge version though.

The built in PDF viewer is kind of tempting though... maybe I'll switch!

Erik1984
May 23rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
I generally just use the chromium-browser package in the repo, which seems to come with a built in Flash Player, and I don't think I've ever had it crash.

I could see using Chrome if you're using a bleeding edge version though.

The built in PDF viewer is kind of tempting though... maybe I'll switch!

Chromium just uses the system's flash plugin AFAIK.

spier
May 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
i use srware iron cause it is chromium without the crashes. And chrome without google stalking you.

+1

alphacrucis2
May 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I would switch in a minute, not sure what to. Firefox is forever crashing randomly on me and is totally unstable (on a couple of machines). Problem is, my life is wrapped up in the Zotero plugin and not sure if that works in anything else. I'll have a check ...

Maybe that plugin is what is causing your crashes.

Cbjaxx
May 24th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Used to use a mix of FireFox and Chrome, but more recently I find myself using Chrome. I still love the Down Them All plugin for Firefox and will still load it up for that use but have been finding myself gravitating to Chrome.

Docaltmed
May 24th, 2012, 02:06 AM
FF most of the time, and I use Web (Epiphany) for web apps.

I've got FF nicely customized with several plugins.

I just find Chromium to be plug-ugly.

vasa1
May 24th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I generally just use the chromium-browser package in the repo, which seems to come with a built in Flash Player, ...
If you say so.

Bucky Ball
May 24th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Maybe that plugin is what is causing your crashes.

Zotero never been an issue in the past and I've been using it since 7.04. Seems to be Firefox itself since an update about three months ago (on several machines, one of which doesn't use Zotero).

Anyhow, typing this from SRware Iron and it rocks, love it so far. Give it twenty-four hours of stability before a tick of complete approval! Super fast. Shame it doesn't seem to handle the Zotero plugin. Maybe I'll try the Zotero standalone app and see what I can work out. ;)

PhilGil
May 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Iceweasel (Debian branded Firefox) for me.

My plug-ins are:
Adblock Plus
Movable Firefox Button
My Homepage
Omnibar
Tab Wheel Scroll
Tree Style Tab
Zoom Page

Have used Chrome on and off and just can't warm up to it.

kdane4
May 24th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I like using both FF and chromium.. Both have its pros and cons so they complement each other really fine..

Linux_junkie
May 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Use Midori in Xubuntu and Chromium in Lubuntu. I've gone off Firefox.

Bucky Ball
May 25th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I've just started using SRware Iron, as suggested by Herpythebrony, and it rocks. I have Zotero standalone working with it (which also rocks) so I'm happy. Fast and NO crashes (as yet, almost 24hours). ;)

-jay-
May 25th, 2012, 07:18 AM
i'm not a fan of firefox & thats the 2nd thing i do after installing linux removing it...

vehemoth
May 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I tend to use SeaMonkey/IceApe as it fits more to what I do on the internet.

Loaded Plugins:
* Adblock Plus
* Chatzilla
* DOM Inspector
* Javascript Debugger
* NoScript
* Restartless restart
* Seatab X

HansKisaragi
May 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I stopped using Firefox when Chromium came out..

deltaRedge
May 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Still using Firefox.

I dunno, but every time I use Chrome for my Web Development project, it crashed quite often. Yeah, Firefox is annoyingly slow and all, but I think its more resilient to crashes.

Bucky Ball
May 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Still using Firefox.

I dunno, but every time I use Chrome for my Web Development project, it crashed quite often. Yeah, Firefox is annoyingly slow and all, but I think its more resilient to crashes.

Have you tried Iron?

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Been rock solid for me, but it's only been twenty four hours. ;)

vasa1
May 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Have you tried Iron?

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Been rock solid for me, but it's only been twenty four hours. ;)

I've heard a lot about this browser but I still prefer Chrome from the webkit family and Firefox.

user_linux08
May 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
You can try using a chainsaw and I still wouldn't leave Firefox because:
1. I use about 30 addons, many of which is not found in Chrome. Despite that, it's still fast.
2. It's fast, and it gets faster with every release. People keep complaining about a slow Firefox, while they themselves has like a truckload of addons installed.
3. It's built by Mozilla, which strives to build a better web and I support them. Google... not so much.

You are right indeed. But it crashes with flash. what good it is?.
I am loyal to FF too. But constant crashes with no way knowing the cause, it make it useless and annoying to keep using it.

slavssn
May 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I stopped using Firefox when Chromium came out..
Same here, and it was a good decision.

Duncan J Murray
May 25th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Just prior to switching to linux I used chrome on windows because of its speed (in those days, firefox was properly slow, I think even slower than IE).

With 9.04, I started using firefox, and found it much faster than it's windows equivalent.

I've been using it since then, and found compatibility to be better than google chrome. There are lots of websites that simply hang with chrome, with the whirly circle continually going round, and as a result I've stuck with firefox. Also, firefox has almost caught up chrome in the speed department.

However, I'm seriously thinking about switching to chrome now. I like the separated threads - firefox crashing is really annoying (when it does), whereas chrome it's usually just a tab. I reckon chrome is probably mature now, and hopefully shouldn't have too much problem with some websites. The other thing is that flash video always seems faster on chrome.

I think I'll give it a go for a while, and see how I go.

D

josephmills
May 26th, 2012, 01:49 AM
the only thing that I wish FF or chrome had was stack-able tabs like opera that is such a cool feature. if any one knows of plugin that would be great.

I have learned a lot from this thread

Hylas de Niall
May 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Still using FF.
I never have problems with flash.
Never found it to be slow at all.
Been using since the late 2.xx's (i think).
I believe that it IS the most secure browser.

Why would i change it? :)

nll
June 4th, 2012, 11:42 PM

Your number 3 is my number 1. I use Firefox because it's Mozilla, a non-profit fighting for an open web. I couldn't care less about Google spamware. And Firefox's in fact uses LESS RAM with more than one tab open and it IS fast, it's some add-ons that aren't. Try running the latest version with add-ons disabled to see it.

Moz FTW!

Max Blyss
June 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Still a FF / T-Bird user...
AddOns-
AdBlock Plus+Element Hiding Helper
Ghostery
Video DownloadHelper
Easy YouTube Downloader
Download Statusbar
Flagfox

Tried Chrome... Had issues on update a few times. Tried Chromium, which kept losing my bookmarks and synced data, and crashed a few times. Midori was glitchy and just behaved oddly the last time I tried it, Epiphany was kinda 'meh'.

Opera is a close second for me, and I like the Iceweasel variant of FF.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I have both Firefox and Chrome installed and updated. When one of them gets buggy I switch to the other, and when it gets buggy I switch back. I use whatever one works for my needs at the time.

:lolflag:

I prefer Firefox. I don't like Google Chrome's privacy settings. It is just to hard for me to clear java-script and cookie policies, for example.

Face-Ache
June 5th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I couldn't get Flash working in Chromium in my latest Lubuntu 12.04 install, so downloaded Firefox, and it's been absolutely sweet.

I also agree with nll; i'd rather support Mozilla than Google.

ratcheer
June 5th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have used Firefox as my preferred and main browser ever since Firefox came into existence. I have tried Chrome, Opera, Midori, and several others, but I always go back to Firefox.

Tim