PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu tweak vs Gnome tweak tool

samwillc
May 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Can anyone clarify the difference between 'Ubuntu tweak' & 'Gnome tweak tool' and whether one would be more suitable than the other for installing on ubuntu 12.04 (unity).

I have used Ubuntu tweak and it seems to work ok. I like the adwaita theme but that seems only available if using the gnome DE.

Thanks for any advice!

Sam.

sikander3786
May 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Ubuntu Tweak is a much more comprehensive tool and it can do everything that Gnome Tweak Tool can do and even beyond. Gnome Tweak Tool can't handle many of the Unity-specific settings, it only holds the general Gnome desktop settings.

Yeah, Adwaita theme was intended for Gnome Shell and won't fit with Unity because of the differences between the two shells.

There is another powerful tool for Unity called 'MyUnity' and it is available in the official Ubuntu repositories for Precise Pangolin:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/04/myunity-powerful-unity-configurator.html

And there is yet another one called Unsettings:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unsettings-tool-to-disable-global-menu.html

Seems like I confused you further. :D

For me, I've got both Ubuntu Tweak and MyUnity as they collectively cover all the options available in the other tweaking tools as well.

samwillc
May 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Great thanks!

Using ubuntu tweak tool and going to give myunity a shot. I used one or the other before but not both together. Wanted to change the slide in effect for the launcher, it's the least I can do to put up with it!

Sam.

sammiev
May 23rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
I install both and after a while you will see why. :)

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Ubuntu Tweak is a much more comprehensive tool and it can do everything that Gnome Tweak Tool can do and even beyond. Gnome Tweak Tool can't handle many of the Unity-specific settings, it only holds the general Gnome desktop settings.

Yeah, Adwaita theme was intended for Gnome Shell and won't fit with Unity because of the differences between the two shells.

There is another powerful tool for Unity called 'MyUnity' and it is available in the official Ubuntu repositories for Precise Pangolin:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2012/04/myunity-powerful-unity-configurator.html

And there is yet another one called Unsettings:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/unsettings-tool-to-disable-global-menu.html

Seems like I confused you further. :D

For me, I've got both Ubuntu Tweak and MyUnity as they collectively cover all the options available in the other tweaking tools as well.

+1!

I much prefer Ubuntu Tweak or My Unity over "gnome-tweak-tool" for one other reason: installing 'gnome-tweak-tool' also installs 'gnome-shell' even if you don't plan on using it!

The only thing I dislike about Ubuntu Tweak is the inclusion of the "janitor" ........... I've seen too many people break things with the "janitor".

MadmanRB
May 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Myunity and Ubuntu tweak are both wonderful and great tools, and are far better then gnome tweak tool any day

sikander3786
May 23rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
The only thing I dislike about Ubuntu Tweak is the inclusion of the "janitor" ........... I've seen too many people break things with the "janitor".

Yeah, very true. And for me, I didn't ever need to use that feature. Are there people around who use it? :-k

fallenshadow
May 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
I use janitor all the time and it never broke anything! :)

3Miro
May 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Gnome Tweak works on Gnome only. It can be used on Ubuntu to the extent where Ubuntu uses Gnome, that is, the entire desktop environment except Gnome-shell.

Ubuntu Tweak works on the Gnome environment, but it also works on the Ubuntu specific Unity. Ubuntu Tweaks also has settings that go beyond the desktop environment, like the Software Center.

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
The janitor on Ubuntu Tweak has never displayed or removed any needed packages and I always get double conformation for old kernels . I don't try and use UT in the Gnome Shell though and It doesn't make much difference to me if I have open the CCSM or UT adjust Unity 3D.

samwillc
May 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
After using ubuntu tweak and myunity they seem to cover the only things I would like to tweak.

I changed the unity launcher to fade in rather than slide in although I still think it looks rubbish! It just doesn't look very polished IMHO. Even if it were just the icons without the background at all, and lose that awful bright line on the right hand side which goes 100% vertically even if you only have a few icons there. Works well but looks could def be improved.

Having to right click on icons is a pain in the a**e for me to bring out the extra menus. What's the point in mousing over an obvious firefox icon and it poping up 'Firefox Web Browser'. Um, yeah, I know! For me, mousing over and the right click menu popping up instead would be a far better option. That's just me though.

I'm sure though as time goes on, more effects will be added as it is quite new.

Sam.