PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CD Ordering Site

marsdend
May 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I like to spread the good word about ubuntu and also like to give out CD's to family and friends of the latest version.

I had an idea, regarding a website where you can order the latest version of the Ubuntu OS on CD for a small fee to cover any production, packaging, postage costs etc and it will be sent out usually the same day. This will be a dedicated site to distribute only Ubuntu OS worldwide.

Any opinions on this would be welcomed.

t0p
May 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
There used to be a similar thing going on at shipit.ubuntu.com. But that's ended now due to the near-prevalence of quick download connections.

Of course, you could set up such a site, if you think the idea's viable. The Gnu GPL license allows you to sell Linux OSes as long as proper attribution is made.

marsdend
May 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM
There used to be a similar thing going on at shipit.ubuntu.com. But that's ended now due to the near-prevalence of quick download connections.

Of course, you could set up such a site, if you think the idea's viable. The Gnu GPL license allows you to sell Linux OSes as long as proper attribution is made.

Thats what I was thinking, i know theres some cheap ones on ebay which are terrible! I know, Ive had them in the past! Thats why I want to set up this ordering site so that users can be sure that they are getting a quality product from a reputable source and they can return for a new one knowing they have had this quality in the past and build a good relationship with those users!

mips
May 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM
You can get linux cds or dvds from most LUGs for free or a small fee. Alternatively there are freedom toasters. Also available from download via a local mirror. There are already a few sites offering a cd shipping service for those that need it and they do most popular distros.

lisati
May 21st, 2012, 03:16 AM
There's also http://shop.canonical.com/