PDA

View Full Version : Wubi opinion/usage survey

bcbc
May 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM
This survey is now closed. For information on the results see here (http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/2012/05/wubi-usageopinion-survey.html).

I put together a little survey of 9 questions to see what people think about Wubi:
Wubi usage and experience survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NQPDYNG).

You can answer even if you've never used Wubi as your opinion is still valid.

FYI
It's set to show the current results of the survey after you enter it - and I'll post the final results here.
The survey data doesn't include any personally identifiable data

kdane4
May 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hi bcbc, done...

Just also want to say thank you for your effort regarding WUBI installations, I wouldn't be here in these forums if not for your help when I was just starting out..

I've noticed that people here usually don't reply to help users that has wubi tags in their threads.

Keep it up!!

:popcorn:

kdane4
May 19th, 2012, 05:05 AM
BTW, regarding question 4

Have you upgraded releases using Wubi?

I used the alternate CD to upgrade before.. It was your advice in the Wubi megathread when I asked and it went fine.. I went with it because you said Wubi installs are really hard to upgrade...

bcbc
May 19th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hi bcbc, done...

Just also want to say thank you for your effort regarding WUBI installations, I wouldn't be here in these forums if not for your help when I was just starting out..

I've noticed that people here usually don't reply to help users that has wubi tags in their threads.

Keep it up!!

:popcorn:
Thanks for the comment ;) I think some parts of Wubi are a bit different which probably explains why they get less response.

BTW, regarding question 4

I used the alternate CD to upgrade before.. It was your advice in the Wubi megathread when I asked and it went fine.. I went with it because you said Wubi installs are really hard to upgrade...

I find the alternate cd is great especially if your connection is slow or there's lots of server traffic. One reason a lot of upgrades might fail is space - the update-manager doesn't calculate the space requirements correctly (and generally this would affect wubi installs more than others). Bug 986272

bcbc
May 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to the survey so far. I'll probably keep it open for a few days longer to gather more responses.

Peripheral Visionary
May 19th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Never used it, but took the survey because you said it wouldn't matter. The only question I didn't feel qualified to answer was "would I recommend it to others for trying out Ubuntu." I thought I could skip answering that, but it "requires an answer."

I chose "No" because for trying out Ubuntu there's always the LiveCD. Granted it doesn't have the same speed as an installed OS, but if folks know that going in, I think they're good to try Ubu out via the LiveCD.

Frogs Hair
May 19th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I started with Wubi and know people who use and enjoy it .

bcbc
May 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Never used it, but took the survey because you said it wouldn't matter. The only question I didn't feel qualified to answer was "would I recommend it to others for trying out Ubuntu." I thought I could skip answering that, but it "requires an answer."

I chose "No" because for trying out Ubuntu there's always the LiveCD. Granted it doesn't have the same speed as an installed OS, but if folks know that going in, I think they're good to try Ubu out via the LiveCD.

I wanted an answer to that - there's no wrong answer. If you wouldn't recommend it, just answer no. There's no explanation required as to why.

Thanks for participating!

critin
May 20th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I really appreciate Wubi being available. I installed it on v7, upgraded through updates to the next version only once after using for almost a year. I never had an issue with ubuntu at all.

I didn't know of 'live cd's' , was afraid to touch the hdd and knew nothing of partitions, so I found Wubi and it gave me the chance to learn so much.

Haven't used it since v.8 but I think it's still a great beginner's tool.

Dragonbite
May 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I used Wubi because I needed a Linux OS to run as a network bridge and web server without having to install a full server dual-boot or on a second hard drive. I couldn't use a LIVE session either because I had to customize it for my needs.

Bandit
May 20th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I use Wubi to test out an install on a computer with windows before I comit that machine to linux. Now I couldnt answer question #7 as I prefer to ONLY use Linux. But one of the biggest gripes I have about Wubi is the 30GB limit it will let you allocate for an install.

Irihapeti
May 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I've never used Wubi but answered the survey anyway. If asked, I'd probably mention Wubi as an option, but I'm not keen on recommending something I'm not familiar with, so I answered no to that question. Maybe I should learn a bit about it.

Paddy Landau
May 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the survey. I think it would help to have many more responses.

I found question question 9 ("What's your overall opinion of Wubi?") difficult. I do like it as an experimental tool for absolute beginners, but hate it as a longer-term or serious solution. So I wanted to answer both "Love it" and "Hate it" -- depending on how it is used!

I couldn't use a LIVE session either because I had to customize it for my needs.
If you create a Live USB using Startup Disk Creator, it allows you to create persistence ("Stored in reserved extra space"), so you can use it on any computer and it will remember your settings. However, a Live USB is significantly slower than Wubi. Another alternative is to install Ubuntu on an external portable USB hard drive (be careful when choosing where to store the bootloader!). I have found this to run nearly as fast as an installation on the computer's internal hard drive.

bcbc
May 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I really appreciate Wubi being available. I installed it on v7, upgraded through updates to the next version only once after using for almost a year. I never had an issue with ubuntu at all.

I didn't know of 'live cd's' , was afraid to touch the hdd and knew nothing of partitions, so I found Wubi and it gave me the chance to learn so much.

Haven't used it since v.8 but I think it's still a great beginner's tool.

That's a good point. And certainly the target audience for Wubi.

Thank you for the survey. I think it would help to have many more responses.

I found question question 9 ("What's your overall opinion of Wubi?") difficult. I do like it as an experimental tool for absolute beginners, but hate it as a longer-term or serious solution. So I wanted to answer both "Love it" and "Hate it" -- depending on how it is used!

That's a very philosophical response: to both love and hate Wubi. I didn't think to add it ;)

kdane4
May 21st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Over 30 responses now for the survey... But there could still be more!! I'm curious to see the results so lets keep it up.. :)

Paddy Landau
May 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'm curious to see the results so lets keep it up.
+1. But how do we see the results if we have already filled in the survey?

bcbc
May 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
+1. But how do we see the results if we have already filled in the survey?
I'll share the results at the end.

bcbc
May 22nd, 2012, 02:09 AM
I'm going to leave the survey open for a little longer. Then I'm going to spend a little time analyzing the results and publish them here.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, and anyone who is thinking about it, please do it soon (there're only 9 questions). Remember, you don't have to have used Wubi to answer.

TheMTtakeover
May 22nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
Just filled it out. I probably wouldn't be using Linux today if it wasn't for Wubi being around. As someone else said, I think its great for testing but shouldn't be kept as a permanent solution.

bcbc
May 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
Just filled it out. I probably wouldn't be using Linux today if it wasn't for Wubi being around. As someone else said, I think its great for testing but shouldn't be kept as a permanent solution.

I don't think anyone seriously proposes that Wubi should be used permanently (at least I haven't seen anyone doing this). Some people might choose to do this individually, but that's not the same thing.

Thanks for participating in the survey :)

wilee-nilee
May 22nd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Did the survey, lately it seems for me a good option for new users to try a wubi first.

Many OEM's have 4 primaries, so a user not knowing the process of getting a image of a clean windows as a back up first of all, then making sure they really want to install Ubuntu as a partitioned install, and have had the time to learn how, can slip the wubi to a partition if wanted.

I don't really want to walk someone through the process of removing partitions resizing some at times then installing ubuntu. I will if I have to but this can have problems if the user makes a mistake, or if I do. It is tedious and generally fraught with unneeded questions that would be answered with a little self study of partitioning.

carl4926
May 22nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Don't use it
Never used it
Never will
Don't actually use windows, even though I have a windows installation.

bcbc
May 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Did the survey, lately it seems for me a good option for new users to try a wubi first.

Many OEM's have 4 primaries, so a user not knowing the process of getting a image of a clean windows as a back up first of all, then making sure they really want to install Ubuntu as a partitioned install, and have had the time to learn how, can slip the wubi to a partition if wanted.

I don't really want to walk someone through the process of removing partitions resizing some at times then installing ubuntu. I will if I have to but this can have problems if the user makes a mistake, or if I do. It is tedious and generally fraught with unneeded questions that would be answered with a little self study of partitioning.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm happy to point someone at a partitioning guide so they can figure out for themselves. But I don't like to push them to do it - for some people it's really easy, but not everybody.

Don't use it
Never used it
Never will
Don't actually use windows, even though I have a windows installation.
Thanks for participating ;)

Skara Brae
May 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
I've never used Wubi but answered the survey anyway. If asked, I'd probably mention Wubi as an option, but I'm not keen on recommending something I'm not familiar with, so I answered no to that question. Maybe I should learn a bit about it.
This is exactly my opinion.

Is there a reason to choose Wubi over a Live-CD?

PS: bcbc, I did the poll too. Useful polls are always a pleasure.

wilee-nilee
May 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM

A live cd does not save the work, and a persistent install to a usb flash is problematic basically the casper-rw=persistence cannot be cleaned, it will fill up and make the usb not bootable eventually.

Granted you could make a bigger then a 4 gig casper-rw partition, but it still has limitations on what can be upgraded your basically still running a ISO.

So for installs the computer may be owned by a employer, that precludes any changes to the HD.

They may not want a partitioned install.

Many reasons really. :)

bcbc
May 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM

I think that's probably common. For people already running Ubuntu there's little point in installing Wubi (unless you want to provide support, do testing or maybe fix some bugs). And then of course you need a working Windows install.

I was going to talk a bit about the reasons for using Wubi over the live CD but wilee-nilee beat me to it. ;)

I'm more interested in understanding what the community thinks about Wubi than necessarily influencing it. So far I've found the results pretty interesting.

I think I'm going to give it another few minutes and then cut it off. Let's say 1am PST (15 minutes from now).

bcbc
May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
The survey is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Here (quickly, unformatted) is the Response Summary. I'll provide some more detailed analysis later.

Total Started Survey:
Total Completed Survey:
43 (97.7%)

1. Do you run Ubuntu installed with Wubi?
Yes 9.3% 4
No 90.7% 39

2. If you answer No to Q1, have you ever installed Ubuntu using Wubi?
Yes 61.5% 24
No 38.5% 15

3. If you used or are using Wubi, how long have you used it?
< 1 Day 7.4% 2
<1 Week 22.2% 6
<1 month 37.0% 10
<3 months 7.4% 2
<1 year 11.1% 3
>1 year 14.8% 4

4. Have you upgraded releases using Wubi?
Yes 7.7% 3
Yes but it failed 7.7% 3
No 84.6% 33

5. Do you use Ubuntu more or less than Windows?
More 76.7% 33
About the same 9.3% 4
Less 14.0% 6

6. Do you ever force shutdown (power off) your computer if it hangs?
Frequently 2.3% 1
Sometimes 62.8% 27
Never 34.9% 15

7. If you are currently using Wubi, are you planning to move to a normal dual boot in the future, or stay with Wubi?
Reinstall a normal dual boot 50.0% 6
Migrate your Wubi install to a normal dual boot 8.3% 1
Stay with Wubi 25.0% 3
Not sure 16.7% 2

8. Would you recommend Wubi to others to try out Ubuntu?
Yes 48.8% 21
No 51.2% 22

9. What's your overall opinion of Wubi
Hate it 7.0% (3)
Don't Like it 18.6% (8 )
Neither Like or Disklie it 32.6% (14)
Like it 23.3% (10)
Love it 18.6% (8 )

Average for question 9.: 3.28 43 responses

Skara Brae
May 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
A live cd does not save the work, and a persistent install to a usb flash is problematic basically the casper-rw=persistence cannot be cleaned, it will fill up and make the usb not bootable eventually.

Granted you could make a bigger then a 4 gig casper-rw partition, but it still has limitations on what can be upgraded your basically still running a ISO.

So for installs the computer may be owned by a employer, that precludes any changes to the HD.

They may not want a partitioned install.

Many reasons really. :)
You are right, of course; I wasn't thinking :) (Or, I was thinking, but more like: trying out Ubuntu with Wubi vs with Live-CD).

Skara Brae
May 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
A friend of mine, who is a "puritan" when it comes to opensource (no proprietary drivers for him for example), was trying to convince a (female) friend of ours to install Linux on her laptop. I advised against that, precisely because creating partitions might be a bit too complicated for her (she lives abroad, so we don't have physical access to her laptop, and besides, she is a girl :p ).
Now I realise that a Wubi install is indeed a perfect solution for people like her (I really wasn't thinking, when I asked why Wubi instead of a Live-CD).

bcbc
May 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I haven't had as much time as I wanted to analyze the results, but I didn't want to keep everyone hanging, so here are some breakdowns:

Who would recommend Wubi

For those that have never installed Wubi:
7% would recommend Wubi
93% would not.

For those that have installed Wubi, but no longer use it:
67% would recommend Wubi
33% would not.

For those that are currently using Wubi:
100% would recommend it (probably need to consider the sample size, the intention whether to keep using Wubi, and the length of time the users have used Wubi)

Average opinion ratings of Wubi (1 - hate it, 2 - dislike it, 3 - neither like or dislike it, 4 - like it , 5 - love it):

For those that have never installed Wubi:

For those that have installed Wubi, but no longer use it:

For those that are currently using Wubi:

bcbc
May 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Overall opinion rating chart.

pedro.nariyoshi
May 29th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Nice curve, seems "gaussian" to me

bcbc
June 1st, 2012, 01:03 AM
I wrote up a summary of the results to my blog: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/2012/05/wubi-usageopinion-survey.html

Thanks again to everyone who participated. If anyone wants the raw data of the responses you can PM me.

kdane4
June 1st, 2012, 05:56 AM
Nicely written article.. The graphs you created made it easier to understand too.. Thanks!! :)

bcbc
June 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Nicely written article.. The graphs you created made it easier to understand too.. Thanks!! :)
Thanks... glad you liked it.

There's probably more I could have written about... one thing is this business about 'hard shutdowns'. While this can destroy any filesystem, it's particularly bad on Wubi installs. (The page on my blog that gets by far the most hits is to do with the corrupted/missing root.disk).