PDA

View Full Version : A sad day

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
My favourite test PC in my sand pit died over night. I suspect it's the power supply. Do I resuscitate it or let it R.I.P.

If i do the later, do it build a new, buy a White Box or by a named brand. hmmmmm

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Get the paddles! That'll fix the power problem. ;)

Depending on how old the machine is, replacing the PSU might be a good idea.

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Probably PSU. Are you using a custom built PC? Or a laptop or brand bought PC?

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I will throw a spare PSU in it later and see if it's more than the PSU. The unit is 2 years old.

lisati
May 17th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Depending on how old the machine is, replacing the PSU might be a good idea.
I might have to do that with a dead machine I've got sitting under the dining table that I haven't used for anything yet: other than the absence of a CD/DVD drive or monitor it looks like it has potential.

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM
i might have to do that with a dead machine i've got sitting under the dining table that i haven't used for anything yet: Other than the absence of a cd/dvd drive or monitor it looks like it has potential.

lol

Dry Lips
May 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM
My favourite test PC in my sand pit died over night. I suspect it's the power supply.

----
Edit: Ok, there was this dude who told me that PSU's rarely fail... Several of you guys have questioned this, so I guess that guy I spoke with was wrong. I don't know where he got his information from... I'm leaving my original post for your entertainment:
----

I'm told that the power supply rarely fail. It's more likely that there is something wrong with your motherboard or some other component. I once had a computer that suddenly died.
I then replaced the PSU, and voila, it booted up. But after a time it died again, only to work normally a day later. The computer was unstable like that for a long time. I finally gave it away to someone who wanted it, because I suspected the motherboard was the faulty component. He took it to a computer shop, where the computer guys replaced the PSU (again). It worked for a time, then it died... But now the guys at the computer shop also came to the conclusion that it wasn't the PSU that was to blame, but the motherboard.

Moral of the story: There are lots of sensitive components in a computer, but PSU is actually quite robust. (Or so I'm told). The PSU isn't the most likely component to fail when a computer dies.

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I have just opened the case and used my multi meter to test and it is definitely the PSU. There is no juice coming from it.

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Guess you can set this as solved and buy a PSU...

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I have just opened the case and used my multi meter to test and it is definitely the PSU. There is no juice coming from it.
Gotta love them multimeters!

Dry Lips
May 17th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well, if you're lucky then you can just replace the PSU. If you're unlucky, the PSU went out and took the motherboard out as well... Crossed fingers! :)

lisati
May 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM
lol

It's a Dell machine that had a very broken copy of Windows on it. I managed to get Ubuntu on to it via USB and with the help of a monitor & keboard from another machine and managed to figure out that it had reasonable specs before the thing gave me the flashing amber power light of death....

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
It's a Dell machine that had a very broken copy of Windows on it. I managed to get Ubuntu on to it via USB and with the help of a monitor & keboard from another machine and managed to figure out that it had reasonable specs before the thing gave me the flashing amber power light of death....
Gotta love them Dell diagnostic lights. Amber light usually means the CPU needs to be reseated (or a PSU problem).

codingman
May 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
That "gotta love them" stuff is getting annoying.

lisati
May 17th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Gotta love them Dell diagnostic lights. Amber light usually means the CPU needs to be reseated (or a PSU problem).

I'm inclined to think it's PSU related at this point, in spite of having read something about CMOS batteries somewhere: IIRC I unplugged and replugged the mains lead a couple of times moving things around and vaguely recall a friendly "bzzzt" noise at one stage. It's not a high priority at the moment, as I have other machines I can use.

CharlesA
May 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I'm inclined to think it's PSU related at this point, in spite of having read something about CMOS batteries somewhere: IIRC I unplugged and replugged the mains lead a couple of times moving things around and vaguely recall a friendly "bzzzt" noise at one stage. It's not a high priority at the moment, as I have other machines I can use.
It's probably the PSU then. If a replacement one doesn't work, you can always try reseating the CPU. ;)

KiwiNZ
May 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Gotta love that Gotta love

alexfish
May 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Might just need Topping up

http://www.sharecg.com/get_image.php?type=WebPage&upload_image_id=9073

CharlesA
May 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Use potatoes instead of lemons.. unless they are combustible lemons...

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 12:12 AM
My choice is Kiwi Fruit, don't know why though

CharlesA
May 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Hmmm... maybe the force is strong in kiwi fruit? ;)

MisterGaribaldi
May 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Gotta love them Dell diagnostic lights.

Never dealt that much with a Dell. I guess it's cool they have diagnostic lights. I loved them on my old modems and my Moto SurfBoard.

That "gotta love them" stuff is getting annoying.

Oh, I feel a ban (or a meme) coming onů

Gotta love that Gotta love

FTW!

http://www.sharecg.com/get_image.php?type=WebPage&upload_image_id=9073

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20567270.jpg

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I love it

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I will throw a spare PSU in it later and see if it's more than the PSU. The unit is 2 years old.

Thats still brand new. Hopefully you can get it back up and running. I keep my boxes on battery backups. We get a lot of low voltage (brown outs) here and they can kill a pc quick. Esp since were on 110v.

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I have decided to replace it with a new White Box.

MisterGaribaldi
May 18th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I agree 100% with Bandit. Anything I care about is at minimum battery backed-up, and all my computer equipment is connected to a backup which includes voltage regulation.

And it looks like KiwiNZ needs to take a trip to the U.S. where our prices are, I gather, a mite cheaper.

lisati
May 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM

Sure it isn't a gooseberry from China? :D

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I agree 100% with Bandit. Anything I care about is at minimum battery backed-up, and all my computer equipment is connected to a backup which includes voltage regulation.

And it looks like KiwiNZ needs to take a trip to the U.S. where our prices are, I gather, a mite cheaper.

Just can't be bothered faffing around, it's easier just to configure online, add it to my account and wait for the courier.

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Just can't be bothered faffing around, it's easier just to configure online, add it to my account and wait for the courier.

LOL I feel ya.. I am planning to move to the Philippines by the end of the year. Gonna buy a bunch of spare PC parts and have them sent sea cargo. Its 80USD for a 1meter x 1m x 1m box, unlimited weight. My wife does this all the time sending stuff to her home. Only catch is it can take a month to arrive.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 18th, 2012, 02:05 AM
When a computer dies, I use it as an excuse to get the newest and most powerful computer I can afford.

My wife knows very little about computers; therefore, I can get away with it; at least, that is what I would like to believe. Then, I usually fix the older computer and give it away to someone in her family or my grandchildren.

I think my wife actually knows what I am doing; however, her family and my grandchildren benefit from my upgrades in hardware :) It is a way to share with other family members what we have that they may not be able to afford otherwise.

Face-Ache
May 18th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Damn, i thought this thread was going to be about Donna Summer dying... how wrong was I?!?!

RIP KiwiNZ's PC ..... :(

MisterGaribaldi
May 18th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I had to look up who Donna Summer was. Never heard of her before, but then 70s disco was a little before my time.

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I had to look up who Donna Summer was. Never heard of her before, but then 70s disco was a little before my time.

I thought this was your thing.......

Paqman
May 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'm told that the power supply rarely fail.

Not true. PSUs, optical drives and hard drives are the least reliable parts of a computer.

jmore9
May 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I agree with CharlesA Get the paddles , Get the paddles

Dry Lips
May 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Not true. PSUs, optical drives and hard drives are the least reliable parts of a computer.

Ok, perhaps you're right, someone said this to me and of course they might be wrong. But apparently failure of a PSU is much less common than HDD failure:

I generally see hard drives fail a LOT more than power supplies. In any given year I'll likely replace 20 or 30 hard drives and maybe only 3 or 4 power supplies. One thing to note about redundant power supplies, if they're just redundant its nice, if they're load balancing + redundant its amazing. Other than a pair of direct lightening hits, at different clients, I've never had to worry about redundant/load balanced power supplies going bad. Theres something about the load balancing that gets done that really helps keep power supplies healthy. I've often replaced entire servers before replacing power supplies when they're load balanced.
http://serverfault.com/questions/220708/how-common-are-power-supply-failures-in-comparison-to-hard-disk-failures

(This quote was specifically about servers, so perhaps home computers with cheap PSU's are a different question...)

Paqman
May 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
But apparently failure of a PSU is much less common than HDD failure:

Reliability is affected by a lot of things, but generalising you'd expect a hard drive to be less reliable purely on the high moving parts count and the close tolerances required for it to function. I don't trust old-fashioned spinny drives at all, personally. It's a real testament to folks who design them that they work as well as they do.

Erik1984
May 18th, 2012, 01:22 PM
:-({|= I hope the problem is 'just' the PSU. Still a lot cheapers than buying a whole new rig. 2 years is still young, even for a PC :P

Dry Lips
May 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't trust old-fashioned spinny drives at all, personally. It's a real testament to folks who design them that they work as well as they do.

+1. SSD's all the way!

jonathonblake
May 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
The PSU isn't the most likely component to fail when a computer dies.

On one of my desktops, the PSU was replaced, under warrenty, three times. I think I've replaced the PSU twice, since the warrenty expired.
I've been debating with myself about replacing the PSU again. However, the local computer repair place won't put in anything bigger than 500 Watts, which is way too little power for the system. (2 floppy drives, a zip drive, a DVD burner, and four hard drives. Four USB slots, a serial port, parrellel port, 2 basic video cards, a basic audio card, and a modem card.)

I don't know hardware repair well enough to replace the PSU myself. (The wires in the motherboards and PSUs I have never match the colours in the books and videos I've gone through.)

jonathon

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
While power supplies may be in the top 3 parts that die more frequently. A lot of environmental factors and mostly user generated errors. Heat will kill off you components more then anything. 2nd will be the quality of the initial product. If you buy cheap, expect cheap. In most cases if you buy a quality product and clean it monthly it will last for many many years. The issue with store bought PCs is that they are built with the cheapest parts, has **** poor cooling and cant be cleaned on the inside by most owners without voiding the warranty. This is esp true with Dell, HP and similar brands. Also for anyone that has had a component fail, did you have it on a UPS? Keeping the computer safe from surges and mostly brown outs by using a battery backup that has built in Uninterrupted Power is a must. It will maintain your voltage requirement even if the power levels drop lower then needed.

So to recap, buy quality, keep it clean, make sure its cooled properly and keep in on a UPS and you can expect the components to live many many years past their expected MBF and warranties.

As far in regards to wattage of the PS. The wattage of all components added up should not exceed 75ish percent of 80% of the power supplies advertised wattage. Thus a 500w @ 80% is 400w, so everything added up should not go over 300w to keep it running cool. You can go a little higher up to 390ish but it may not run as cool and may become unreliable. At least in my experience. So if you got any kind of gaming rig a 1000w is the bare minimum I would suggest.

MisterGaribaldi
May 18th, 2012, 07:58 PM
My problems with SSDs are:

1. Price (this is, admittedly, a transitional thing);
2. Overall performance (great for some types of read- or write access, lousy at others);
3. Issues with constant write/re-writing (Swap access, anyone?);
4. Still a little bit too new for me to trust thoroughly.

But yes, I do look forward to the day when SSDs are 100% drop-in replacements for HDDs for any and all uses and in any and all situations. Can you imagine how much better it will be for, for instance, aircraft or space probes to be using these things? And definitely they draw less power so it's a boon for laptop users (of which I am one).

Oh well... one day...

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I played taps for your computer on my bass in its honor. :)

codingman
May 18th, 2012, 10:03 PM
When a computer dies, I use it as an excuse to get the newest and most powerful computer I can afford.

My wife knows very little about computers; therefore, I can get away with it; at least, that is what I would like to believe. Then, I usually fix the older computer and give it away to someone in her family or my grandchildren.

I think my wife actually knows what I am doing; however, her family and my grandchildren benefit from my upgrades in hardware :) It is a way to share with other family members what we have that they may not be able to afford otherwise.

Heehee :D

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 10:06 PM

If you have not noticed yet your wife knows you better than you know yourself, as you have the same advantage with her. :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
If you have not noticed yet your wife knows you better than you know yourself, as you have the same advantage with her. :)

Heehee, I implied that in my post. It works for both of us. :)

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Heehee, I implied that in my post. It works for both of us. :)

I figured that was the message. :)

Nothing like a little personal manipulation to get things really going, hehe, in the department of fun.

Irihapeti
May 18th, 2012, 10:40 PM
i played taps for your computer on my bass in its honor. :)

lol

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM
lol

The first instrument I learned to play was the trumpet, moved on to reeds as a my main ones I play, I have no trumpet anymore I had to do what I could do. :)

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM
The first instrument I learned to play was the trumpet, moved on to reeds as a my main ones I play, I have no trumpet anymore I had to do what I could do. :)

I played a B Trumpet at College in the Band and Orchestra, I guess being a top student wasn't nerdy enough for me.:P

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I played a B Trumpet at College in the Band and Orchestra, I guess being a top student wasn't nerdy enough for me.:P

I really like the trumpet Wynton Marsalis for modern players is one I really like. That darn instrument needs daily practice to actually play though, could not get that going at so young an age I tried to learn it at.

I used to work at a music store where the custom trumpet play Dave Monnet worked in repair.

http://www.monette.net/newsite/

He makes trumpets that have an amazing sound, and for top players worldwide.

He was funny chap, used to make hybrid instruments that were combinations of many kinds soldered together.

alexfish
May 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Since "Sad Day" is a Musicnotes Sheet Music File, we are unable to show it to you , as that would require software that is not currently available for your current web browser. You can download Firefox (http://getfirefox.com/) for a great experience on Musicnotes.com.

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I really like the trumpet Wynton Marsalis for modern players is one I really like. That darn instrument needs daily practice to actually play though, could not get that going at so young an age I tried to learn it at.

I used to work at a music store where the custom trumpet play Dave Monnet worked in repair.

http://www.monette.net/newsite/

He makes trumpets that have an amazing sound, and for top players worldwide.

He was funny chap, used to make hybrid instruments that were combinations of many kinds soldered together.

I migrated from the Tenor Horn to the Trumpet, I stopped playing when I went into the Services and gave my Trumpet to my College.

jockyburns
May 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM
My PSU gave up the ghost last August. I checked the output voltages with a meter only to find they were all correct:shock: Only further test revealed it wasn't chucking out the amperage needed by the mobo and other components. No good showing 12v if it's only throwing out 0.2amps

I'd just like to add,,, I used to play the euphonium in a brass band, but feel that's for another thread (and the therapy cured me) :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

wilee-nilee
May 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I'd just like to add,,, I used to play the euphonium in a brass band, but feel that's for another thread (and the therapy cured me) :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

That is hilarious, brass players get no respect. :)

KiwiNZ
May 18th, 2012, 11:31 PM
That is hilarious, brass players get no respect. :)

Did in the Army or was it what was on my Rank Slide;)

KiwiNZ
May 21st, 2012, 12:13 AM
I ordered the following test machine for my Sand Pit

Main Board
MBDGBM2737 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA1155 Intel Z77 Chipset,ATX, 4 X DDR3 DIMM,VGA/DVI/HDMI/DISPLAY PORT output,PCI-E3.0 support AMD CrossFireX/Nvidia SLI,4 X SATA3,2 X eSATA 3, 6 X USB3.0,Raid,mSATA connector.

Memory
MEMGSK0390G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Ultra Performance Desktop Memory 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Cooling
FANINT58591 Intel Liquid Cooling DRX-B Supports Socket LGA 2011, 1366, 1155, 1156

Hard Disks
HDDSDK2121SanDisk 120GB Extreme 2.5" SATA3 SSD , Sandforce 2282 controller , upto 550MB reading & 520 MB/sec Writing , 3 years Warranty ,Shock resistant , Delivers reliability, durability, and performance

HDDSE2104 Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA3 HDD 64M CACHE 7200RPM NCQ

Optical Drive
DVWLGC24LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray COMBO Drive Black Colour LightScribe Retail box

Graphics
VGAEVG2680EVGA GeForce GTX680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card , the Latest Top VGA

Case
CHALAN5077 Lian-Li PC-A77FB Aluminium ATX Full Tower Case , Black Colour ( With USB 3.0 )

Power supply
PSUOCZ0850OCZ OCZ-ZX850W 850W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Max-Performance PSU 14cm Fan Multi VGA-Ready Single +12V rail NVIDIA SLI / ATI CrossFire 5-Year warranty

Network
NETAS1060 Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps Wirless PCI-Express 802.11 b/g/n WIN7 downlink 300Mbps Uplink 300Mbps(20/40MHz) 64/128-bit WEP/WPA2-PSK/WPA-PSK/WPS

Bandit
May 21st, 2012, 12:58 AM

Were is the CPU?

KiwiNZ
May 21st, 2012, 01:12 AM
Were is the CPU?

Oops forgot to add include that....

Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770k quad core 3.5ghz

lisati
May 21st, 2012, 03:15 AM
Stand by for respects being paid for Robin Gibb as well.....

For me it was bagpipes and piano.

alexfish
May 21st, 2012, 03:21 AM

Main Board
MBDGBM2737 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA1155 Intel Z77 Chipset,ATX, 4 X DDR3 DIMM,VGA/DVI/HDMI/DISPLAY PORT output,PCI-E3.0 support AMD CrossFireX/Nvidia SLI,4 X SATA3,2 X eSATA 3, 6 X USB3.0,Raid,mSATA connector.

Memory
MEMGSK0390G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Ultra Performance Desktop Memory 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Cooling
FANINT58591 Intel Liquid Cooling DRX-B Supports Socket LGA 2011, 1366, 1155, 1156

Hard Disks
HDDSDK2121SanDisk 120GB Extreme 2.5" SATA3 SSD , Sandforce 2282 controller , upto 550MB reading & 520 MB/sec Writing , 3 years Warranty ,Shock resistant , Delivers reliability, durability, and performance

HDDSE2104 Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA3 HDD 64M CACHE 7200RPM NCQ

Optical Drive
DVWLGC24LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray COMBO Drive Black Colour LightScribe Retail box

Graphics
VGAEVG2680EVGA GeForce GTX680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card , the Latest Top VGA

Case
CHALAN5077 Lian-Li PC-A77FB Aluminium ATX Full Tower Case , Black Colour ( With USB 3.0 )

Power supply
PSUOCZ0850OCZ OCZ-ZX850W 850W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Max-Performance PSU 14cm Fan Multi VGA-Ready Single +12V rail NVIDIA SLI / ATI CrossFire 5-Year warranty

Network
NETAS1060 Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps Wirless PCI-Express 802.11 b/g/n WIN7 downlink 300Mbps Uplink 300Mbps(20/40MHz) 64/128-bit WEP/WPA2-PSK/WPA-PSK/WPS