PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

zika
May 17th, 2012, 11:42 AM
It looks like file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is depreciated when control of LighDM is concerned... Am I wrong...? It seems that current status of LightDM session is written elsewhere...
Update₁: Am I right in thinking that ~/.dmrc is now place where data about current session is saved...? /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is left for other stuff...

Harry33
May 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It looks like file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is depreciated when control of LighDM is concerned... Am I wrong...? It seems that current status of LightDM session is written elsewhere...
Update₁: Am I right in thinking that ~/.dmrc is now place where data about current session is saved...? /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is left for other stuff...

I have the following lines in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. All others are commented.

[LightDM]
minimum-vt=7
seats=seat-0
[GuestAccount]
enabled=false
[SeatDefaults]
user-session=gnome
allow-guest=false
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

zika
May 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have the following lines in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. All others are commented.

[LightDM]
minimum-vt=7
seats=seat-0
[GuestAccount]
enabled=false
[SeatDefaults]
user-session=gnome
allow-guest=false
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
I've never had first two sections of Your .conf file...
Lately it does not matter what is in
[SeatDefaults]
user-session=gnome because only what is in ~/.dmrc seems to matter and that is changed if I change user session from greeter...

:~$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[SeatDefaults]
#greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
greeter-session=unity-greeter
#user-session=gnome-classic
#user-session=ubuntu-2d
#user-session=ubuntu
#user-session=fluxbox
#user-session=openbox
#user-session=gnome-shell
#user-session=xsession
#user-session=gnome-fallback
user-session=cinnamon
autologin-user=zika
allow-guest=false
greeter-hide-users=trueI'll investigate further...
Update₁: ~/.dmrc is not the place to edit... It is generated by LightDM at the start and not read before start... It is a derviative of some other file where information about the latest session used is stored... /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is not used at least for user-session... ;) Investigating still...

:~$ cat .dmrc
[Desktop]
Language=en_US
Layout=rs latin
Session=cinnamon
Langlist=en_US:en
LCMess=en_US.UTF-8

Update₂: All this is problem if there is greeter-session=unity-greeter in use. If it is greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter there is no problem and everything as we used it to be...

Harry33
May 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I've never had first two sections of Your .conf file...

Update₂: All this is problem if there is greeter-session=unity-greeter in use. If it is greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter there is no problem and everything as we used it to be...

Well is this when you have lightdm-gtk-greeter installed, for example with gnome-shell?
And further, if you do not have unity-greeter installed at all?

zika
May 17th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Well is this when you have lightdm-gtk-greeter installed, for example with gnome-shell?
And further, if you do not have unity-greeter installed at all?
To clarify:

- it happens only with unity-greeter i.e. unity greeter does not honor setting user-session in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

- lightdm-gtk-greeter does not have problem with this, it honors setting user-session in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

- it does not depend on a session I use...

- I noticed this awhile in precise but did not give it any attention until today a user on our Forum did have problem with advice I gave him how to use setting user-session in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf... It does not bother me personally much since I use startx very often... ;)

I did not try with unity-greeter not installed at all...

grahammechanical
May 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I also have noticed changes. In my 11.10 which has been upgraded to 12.04 /etc/lightdm has a unity-greeter.conf where the path to the lightDM background image is recorded as well as the theme.

But in 12.10 unity-greeter.conf is absent from /etc/lightdm. I have been searching for the script that holds the reference to the lightDM background image. I have been unsuccessful.

I also have a 12.04 that I converted to 12.10 and it has a unity-greeter.conf in /etc/lightdm but the 12.10 that I install from a daily ISO image does not have unity-greeter.conf in /etc/lightdm

There is a /usr/share/unity-greeter with icons. And in /usr/share/xsessions there are three files which I cannot open. Their properties say this:

GNOME
Command gnome-session--session=gnome
comment This session logs you into Gnome

Ubuntu
Command UBUNTU gnome-session--session=ubuntu
Comment This session logs you into Ubuntu

UBUNTU 2D
Command gnome-session--ubuntu-2D
Comment This session logs you into Ubuntu 2D mode

They are desktop configuration files but when I try to open one I get "Could not acquire name on session bus."

There is a usr/share/gnome-session/sessions folder with

gnome.session
ubuntu.session
ubuntu-2D.session

and these files will open in Gedit but do not have references to the login background image, which is what I am looking for.

Regards.