PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Installing Java for firefox.

ubuntu-geek
October 11th, 2004, 08:40 PM
If you want to install java with firefox download the java file here (http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=9718) and then run:

sudo chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
sudo mv j2re-1_4_2_05 /usr/local/
cd /home/username/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
This will give you working java in firefox :)

flygmaskin
October 12th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Well, It did not give me working java. But it broke firefox, always something :)

disposable
October 12th, 2004, 03:09 AM
You just need to add a "libjavaplugin_oji.so" to the end of the last command.

ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2004, 03:47 AM
fixed :shock:

Jakomcbean
October 12th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Sounds great . Any Idea how to do this on a PPC machine?

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2004, 04:31 AM
check out this info over at the mozilla site for firefox and mac..

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#MacOSX

Artificial Intelligence
October 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Funny my firefox doesn't have a plugin folder :?

This is what I have:

root@Universe:/home/orion/.mozilla # dir
appreg firefox pluginreg.dat

then I checked under firefox folder:

root@Universe:/home/orion/.mozilla # cd firefox
root@Universe:/home/orion/.mozilla/firefox # dir
default.7zs profiles.ini
root@Universe:/home/orion/.mozilla/firefox #

anysuggestions?

ubuntu-geek
October 12th, 2004, 03:09 PM
just do a quick

mkdir /home/username/.mozilla/plugins

that should do it for you.

Artificial Intelligence
October 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM
okay thanks :)

spoetnik
October 14th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Problem after:
"sudo chmod u+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
"
I get an, "Cannot execute binary file"

Please help.....

FLeiXiuS
October 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM
chmod a+x filename.bin

Do that then execute filename.

johanvrt
October 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Instead of "chmod a+x filename.bin" and then "./filename.bin" ,
you can also do "sh filename.bin"
The "chmod a+x" bit is not needed with the "sh" command. :)

deFrysk

spoetnik
October 15th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Problem after:
"sudo chmod u+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
"
I get an, "Cannot execute binary file"

Please help.....

I have downloaded the file again from the Java site, and now it works!!
Thanks for all the help.

emperor
October 17th, 2004, 02:14 AM
1.Links to sun's java site and other available plugins:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java

2. I installed Sun's jre1.5 and it works OK.

3. To install java for firefox globally, make your simlink in this directory :
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins

For example, when positioned in the above directory, execute the following:
sudo ln -s /usr/local/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Note: the jre1.5 has a "ns7-gcc29" and a "ns7" for gcc3x.

rjl
October 17th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and "sudo", so this might be a very basic question, but--

I followed the procedure to install java with firefox and got java installed, but when I try the last command, I get:
"bash: In: command not found"

When I tried to cut and past the plugin into firefox I was not able to, I assume because I was not Root.

Thanks,

FLeiXiuS
October 17th, 2004, 07:26 AM
sudo passwd root

Enter in the root password, then I would sudo whenever.

muypill
October 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I got up until the end where I get the error: "In: command not found"

help.

FLeiXiuS
October 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM
sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Also be sure to login as root when your doing this install

muypill
October 18th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Tried that, it still tells me that it cannot find the In command. Is there anything else I can try?

Rancoras
October 18th, 2004, 12:23 AM
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you're typing ln (el en) and not In (eye en) ?

johanvrt
October 18th, 2004, 05:18 AM
you did "In" as in (In)sert
It should be "ln" , short for link.
ln -s , meaning link symbolicly

deFrysk. 8)

rjl
October 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys!

I was typing In as (In)sert. I now have java 1.5 working in firefox.

I find it easy to make dumb mistakes with computers.

muypill
October 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that was it. Thanks a lot. I now feel more dumb. :D

CyberSeal
October 19th, 2004, 10:56 PM
why doesn't Ubuntu include a package for installing java automatically?
like the one made for flash plugin.
are there any legal issues ?

smoothrt
October 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM
I am still looking for newbie-friendly directions on how to do this for amd64 and can't find anything. Can someone post directions, or at least a link of a way to get java installed and working in firefox for ubuntu amd64. It's been very frustrating, and would finish my tweaking of my OS. Thank you.

adbak
October 21st, 2004, 09:27 PM
I don't know if there are any legal issues, but I do know that Sun wants everyone to download Java from them. Although this only leads to people hating them....

LongTooth
October 22nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Quick question: If I have Mozilla installed as well as Firefox (and I do) will I have to do anything different or will this procedure install Java in both browsers?

smoothrt
October 22nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
I don't know how it can be true that you have to go to sun's website for legal reasons. I have tried many other linux distributions, and while I have found Ubuntu to be my favorite, other distributions, even amd64 versions, had java already working upon installing (i.e. Mandrake). This really should be easier, it's the last "major" thing I can't get working on my system.

butters
October 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
ubuntu has adopted a completely free/open-source strategy like that of Red Hat, Debian, and Fedora. This is fine, but I would like to see the following happen:

1. Give users the option to install a selected "non-free" software set during installation, right before grabbing updates from the internet. This set would include mpeg123, libdvdcss, flash, and possibly some others (the most common non-free packages). The only major one that could not be installed at this point is Java, since it requires manual download from the net.

2. Include the universe repositories by default, but clearly warn users when they mark universe packages for installation (or print a confirmation message if using CLI).

3. Include every package that ubuntu devs know how to install, even if the process requires manual intervention. In the case of Java, the terminal ouput during the package installation should stop and prompt for users to follow the provided link to the vendor's download page and get the binary. After loading the binary from the user's home directory (determined by querying which user sudo is speaking for), or whichever download directory is specified, and running, it should create the appropriate symlinks/registry keys. This is sort of how Gentoo handles Java, only it provides the link and requires the user to gain root and place the binary in /usr/portage/distfiles before running emerge again.

Because if the recipe for installing the java sdk and mozilla plugin is so simple, then it might as well have an ubuntu deb package. Users shouldn't have to search for some howto on installing the java plugin. They should ask Synaptic to find java and have Synaptic guide them through the installation process.

butters
October 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
I don't know how it can be true that you have to go to sun's website for legal reasons. I have tried many other linux distributions, and while I have found Ubuntu to be my favorite, other distributions, even amd64 versions, had java already working upon installing (i.e. Mandrake). This really should be easier, it's the last "major" thing I can't get working on my system.

You can find a binary for sun-jdk-1.5.0-rc-amd64 here:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/java-sun/JDK-1.5.0_RC/amd64/jdk-1_5_0-rc-linux-amd64.bin

download it to your home directory and open a terminal:

sh ./jdk-1_5_0-rc-linux-amd64.bin
<scroll down through license and type 'yes'>
sudo mv jdk-1_5_0-rc /usr/local
cd .mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/jdk-1_5_0-rc/plugin/amd64/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Then restart firefox and type 'about:plugins' in the URL box, this opens a page that summarized your installed plugins, and a healthly list of different java MIME types should be listed.

I don't have an AMD64 machine so I haven't run through this myself. The directory paths might be named slightly differently, tab completion is your friend.

Good luck.

gecko
October 25th, 2004, 02:46 AM
You can find a binary for sun-jdk-1.5.0-rc-amd64 here:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/java-sun/JDK-1.5.0_RC/amd64/jdk-1_5_0-rc-linux-amd64.bin

download it to your home directory and open a terminal:

sh ./jdk-1_5_0-rc-linux-amd64.bin
<scroll down through license and type 'yes'>
sudo mv jdk-1_5_0-rc /usr/local
cd .mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/jdk-1_5_0-rc/plugin/amd64/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Then restart firefox and type 'about:plugins' in the URL box, this opens a page that summarized your installed plugins, and a healthly list of different java MIME types should be listed.

I don't have an AMD64 machine so I haven't run through this myself. The directory paths might be named slightly differently, tab completion is your friend.

Good luck.

Actually this does not seem to work with JRE 1.5.0 (Version 5.0) because when you open the Java Test Page (http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp) the browser will hang. Has anyone got version 5.0 working?

When I link to the ns7-gcc29 version the browser will not even open. When I try the ns7 version the browser opens, about:plugins shows it is installed but the test page hangs the browser.

NB:I am doing everything in sudo bash. I cannot get the damn think working.

Gecko

gecko
October 25th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Update,

Ok I tried everything and only 1.4.2 would work so I would stick with that for the moment. I suspect it may have something to do with my proxy environment. The authentication window is not displaying, or it is displaying in the background!

Java installation instructions

Open firefox and navigate to http://java.sun.com. Download J2SE 1.4.2 JRE Linux self extracting binary. Now Open a terminal window Applications->System Tools->Terminal. Enter the sudo bash command and press enter. Enter the password and you will then have a root prompt. Copy and paste the following code.

sh j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin
install -d j2re1.4.2_06 /usr/java
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugins/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Done!

Regards

Gecko

brschmid
October 26th, 2004, 04:05 AM
how do i know i have java working, i went thru and did everything?

FLeiXiuS
October 26th, 2004, 04:13 AM
how do i know i have java working, i went thru and did everything?

Best way to test is to actually preform a browser test on java. Go to a java website such as http://games.yahoo.com and see if you can participate in a game. There are many ways but this is the mose rewarding out there. :-)

brschmid
October 26th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Best way to test is to actually preform a browser test on java. Go to a java website such as http://games.yahoo.com and see if you can participate in a game. There are many ways but this is the mose rewarding out there. :-)

princemackenzie
October 28th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks so much for this.

jcscar
October 29th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I did all of the commands listed in the first post
They all worked great

However when I go to http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp The test does not work. I am running an amd athlon 2500 nothing special... ??

arrowhead
October 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Me to jcscar :sad: .
I followed gecko's instruction and no errors occured (I don't think I did anything wrong). I thought it had worked but when I go to a page with java on all I get is a box from Firefox saying I don't have the plugin to open the file.

David

ubuntu_demon
October 31st, 2004, 11:35 AM
For those who installed j2sdk :

sudo ln -s /opt/SUNWappserver/jdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

optik
October 31st, 2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks, worked a treat

Patrick
November 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
ok, ( i use the .1 extention because the file i d/l has it to )

i did these to commands
sudo chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05.1-linux-i586.bin

and everything went ok,

then i did this command

sudo mv j2re-1_4_2_05.1 /usr/local/

and i get this error

mv: cannot stat `j2re-1_4_2_05.1': No such file or directory

:???:

Verlager
November 5th, 2004, 06:31 AM
how do i know i have java working, i went thru and did everything? java -version

BugsyMalone
November 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM
ok, ( i use the .1 extention because the file i d/l has it to )

i did these to commands
sudo chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05.1-linux-i586.bin

and everything went ok,

then i did this command

sudo mv j2re-1_4_2_05.1 /usr/local/

and i get this error

mv: cannot stat `j2re-1_4_2_05.1': No such file or directory

:???:
I got the same error as Patrick. What can we do to fix it?

FLeiXiuS
November 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM

I would recommend typing

ls

Then seeing if the directory is there. If not, then what's the correct name of the jr2e directory.

MarkJMK
November 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM
For me this is what worked
sudo mv j2re1.4.2_05 /usr/local/

krietor
November 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Check out http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FirefoxHowTo/view?searchterm=plugins%20Firefox
Here's the instructions. Sorry for the lousy format. They're from memory, too, sort of but they worked. At least if I didn't leave anything out:
I downloaded http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=9718
In a terminal I cd'd to the directory I downloaded the file to and I did:
"sudo chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin" (makes it executable)
and then I did:
"./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin" To run the installer script. It didn't run smoothly for me. I didn't know how to exit from the program that displayed the license agreement. {edit: It was probably less . push <q> to quit.} I think there was supposed to be a "button" to choose to indicate acceptance, but all I got was "END" or something, Finally I was able to exit using <shift>+<alt>+Q or something.{edit: It was probably less . push <q> to quit.} Then I had a chance to type "yes" and the installation proceeded. Then,
"sudo mv j2re1.4.2_05 /usr/local/" -and then
"cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins" -and-[I think here I was superuser]?
"ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so"
And then after restarting Firefox, Java worked! I tested it at www.arachnoid.com - just loading the front page quickly lets you know whether it works. :D :p

Nomad
November 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Not working, at all. www.arachnoid.com said that Java was NOT enabled in my browser. In 'preferences' it is enabled.

Any ideas?

mongolito404
November 14th, 2004, 11:09 AM
I've used another method to install Java an the Java plugins for Firefox. This one is not listed on the Ubuntu Wiki and I can't find it here too.
It seems to be the (new) correct way to install Sun JDK on Ubuntu/Debian.

1) Install java-common and equivs with apt-get.

sudo apt-get install java-common equivs
2) Follow (with adaptations) instructions in file:///usr/share/doc/java-common/debian-java-faq/ch11.html#s11.3 (installed by java-common). In a Root Terminal (Applications > System Tools > Root Terminal).

# cd /var/install
# mkdir java
# cd java
# wget http://copy.the.correct/url/from/your/browser (http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html) -O jdk-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin
# chmod +x jdk-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin
# ./jdk-1_5_0-linux-i586.bin
# mv jdk1.5.0 /usr/local/lib
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/jdk1.5.0 /usr/local/lib/jdk
# mkdir pkg
# cd pkg
# cp /usr/share/doc/java-common/dummy-packages/*.control .
# equivs-build java1-runtime-dummy.control
# equivs-build java-compiler-dummy.control
# equivs-build java2-compiler-dummy.control
# equivs-build java2-runtime-dummy.control
# equivs-build java-virtual-machine-dummy.control
# dpkg -i *.deb
# update-alternatives --verbose --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/local/lib/jdk/bin/java 500 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/java.1 java.1 /usr/local/lib/jdk/man/man1/java.1
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/jdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
# java -version

The output of the last command should be something like

java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode, sharing)

You should now have a full and working Java environment.

krietor
November 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I'm looking forward to trying the instructions for installing Java 1.5! I'll be building a new Ubuntu system soon. However, I got Java 1.4.2 working well, and it does all I need. If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . . I can wait . . .
Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for the instructions, mongolito404 !

bazuka
November 28th, 2004, 12:44 AM
If you want to install java with firefox download the java file here (http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=9718) and then run:

I had to change "sudo mv j2re-1_4_2_05 /usr/local/" to "sudo mv j2re1.4.2_05 /usr/local" to work. Thanks for the help with the rest of it though!

wallijonn
December 2nd, 2004, 11:47 PM
Stupid question, but how do you test Java?

adbak
December 3rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
To test Java, I go to http://indystar.com/living/crosswords . If the crossword puzzle loads, you have Java.

wallijonn
December 3rd, 2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks. I installed j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin and wanted to see if it was really working. I went to a few googled 'java test' sites and some worked and some didn't.

LongTooth
December 3rd, 2004, 01:01 AM
A sure way to test Java is to do what I do. I go to Yahoo.com. Look for 'Games'. I usually choose the 'Collapse' game but any one will do. That will let you know if you have Java working.

wallijonn
December 7th, 2004, 07:16 AM
http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/cl.html

man, that game is addicting. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Hikaru79
December 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Well, if you *have* to play a Yahoo game, there's no doubt-- Go is still the best! :D
http://games.yahoo.com/go

--Certified Go Addict :D

ZEN
December 14th, 2004, 06:13 PM

works great with firefox 1.0, had to change 1 thing in the this command:

had to be

sudo mv j2re1_4.2.05 /usr/local/

afrifreak
December 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Wow, my first Linux-config kick! I managed to succesfully install Java for Firefox.

\\:D/

afrifreak
December 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM

These commands have made me succesfully install Java, but there's one comment:
I think you have to change the "sudo mv j2re-1_4_2_05 /usr/local" command to:
sudo mv j2re1.4.2_05 /usr/local
because this is the name of the directory that the compiler creates.

=D>

monkeyshaman
December 18th, 2004, 06:49 AM
I can't get past this part:

j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin: line 364: ./install.sfx.4225: cannot execute binary file

This happens right after I ./ the binary file. Any ideas? :-(

Arnold

hammett111
May 28th, 2005, 05:40 AM
When installing java plugin for firefox is the .mozilla essential, can you just call the directory mozilla without the "."??

hantms
June 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
As for XMMS, you have to rememer to right-click on the xmms window and go into Options->preferences and select 'eSound' as the Output plugin.

The default one will cause xmms to freeze up and die when opening an mp3 file.

desdinova
June 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
When installing java plugin for firefox is the .mozilla essential, can you just call the directory mozilla without the "."??
yes you have to use the "." - a directory in Linux starting with a "." is a hidden directory - and ".mozilla" is a totally different directory to "mozilla"

rykel
June 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Hi,

The easiest way to install the latest Firefox with Flash, Java, Adobe Reader plugins is to simply remove the current one, then Save and Install the Firefox autopackage (http://www.wildgardenseed.com/Taj/autopackage/firefox-1.0.4.x86.package).

1. Remove mozilla-firefox through Synaptic Package Manager.
(it will remove some other stuff, but don't worry, because they can be reinstalled using autopackage or are seldom used.)

2. Go to Autopackage Downloads (http://autopackage.org/downloads.html) --> "More Packages" --> Firefox
(Or download here --> Firefox autopackage (http://www.wildgardenseed.com/Taj/autopackage/firefox-1.0.4.x86.package))

3. Save the file to your Home directory.

4. Open a terminal, type: sudo ./firefox*.package and follow the instructions accordingly.

5. Copy everything in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
(if you already have all your plugins installed previously)

To set up Java plugin, adapt the instructions from the Unofficial Ubuntu Guide (http://www.ubuntuguide.org). Just remember, the Firefox autopackage is installed in /usr/lib/firefox instead of /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox.

That is it! A spanking, brand new Firefox 1.0.4 with that cool foxy icon.

I have used Firefox 1.0.4 autopackage since it came out with no problems, and it is faster and more responsive than the Ubuntu Firefox.

You might also like to check out my 2 posts on
LinuxQuestions Forum (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332407) and the Autopackage Forum (http://autopackage.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21).

EmoDx
January 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM

Will this allow all user logins to use java or do I have to do this for each user?

-Emo

davidwashere2003
March 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I tried a bunch of stuff from this thread but nothing worked.

I went to a different site and found this step which worked like a charm:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

uncr347ivenam3
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
After agreeing to the license, I get this message

Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
yes
Unpacking...
tail: cannot open `+479' for reading: No such file or directory
Checksumming...
The download file appears to be corrupted. Please refer
to the Troubleshooting section of the Installation
Instructions on the download page for more information.
Please do not attempt to install this archive file.

I'm running ubuntu 9.04. It's a pretty fresh install. Any suggestions?

uncr347ivenam3
April 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
this step worked like a charm:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Same here. I'm still interested to know what was causing that problem above.

jomminum2
June 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
After agreeing to the license, I get this message

Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
yes
Unpacking...
tail: cannot open `+479' for reading: No such file or directory
Checksumming...
The download file appears to be corrupted. Please refer
to the Troubleshooting section of the Installation
Instructions on the download page for more information.
Please do not attempt to install this archive file.I'm running ubuntu 9.04. It's a pretty fresh install. Any suggestions?

i've the same problem...plzz

wulfgang
October 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks! Now I can go play runescape. :)

rolandw
December 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
well so far it works for me! it enabled it for all my browsers on ubuntu without any extra work

dutchglory
December 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM
follow instructionds here:

http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#selfextracting

to test, go here: http://www.java.com/nl/download/help/testvm.xml

http://www.verwijs-pc.nl/shares/java.png

odzk
July 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
done all the steps,
no errors or whatsoever, after I restart firefox, i still dont have the java.
about:plugins, i still dont see the java.

its been almost 5 hours i havent still figure this out, just a stupid java. Well i dont have a choice, its looks like im going back to windows xp for browsing with java. geez.

zerwas
July 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
its been almost 5 hours i havent still figure this out, just a stupid java.

Because i have seen this thread directly above mine: Have a look if this howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1517979) helps you.