PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu studio CD art

bigmonmulgrew
May 14th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi guys
I'm just after opinions on the ubuntu studio 12.04 CD art I've designed.

I've never been able to reliably find CD art for studio so I've always drew up my own.

I drew the one for 11.10 from scratch, taking design elements from an older version I had found and some of the bundled images.

I've done 2 new ones based on the old 11.10 I made and running them through picasa's new filters.

Which do you prefer, black or white?
I wanted to keep some sort of design history from the old version and keep the red but I think the white looks much cleaner

Edit:
Added the full quality versions in a zip file, wont let me upload over 768 lines uncompressed.
Feel free to reuse these of course, or submit them to the studio artwork wiki, which seems to be a little lacking for the current version.

nothingspecial
May 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thread moved to Art & Design.

zombifier25
May 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
IMO, you should use the Ubuntu font; it will look better and more professional.

bigmonmulgrew
May 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thread moved to Art & Design.

Thanks

bigmonmulgrew
May 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Thought I had

just noticed some of it is a different font, grrr it has to be on a faded part too so I cant just delete and retype the font

codemaniac
May 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Good job bigmonmulgrew .

bigmonmulgrew
May 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Font changed

MadsRH
May 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I think the white one is the best one. The others looks to me like they are promoting at heavy metal band :guitar:

I would never use outlined/stroked (what's that word?) text for anything this small - to me it makes it hard to read.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cent ):P

Is this for the official Ubuntu Studio cover?

bigmonmulgrew
May 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
To be honest i prefer the white one. The black one closer resembles the old one but thats all its got going for this.

I did have a lot of problems with the text and i had to redo it a couple of times. IT is much clearer on the full quality version and ive done a few print tests and it prints perfectly ledgible.

I tried to join the studio art wiki for 11.10 to submit it but i had some issues which i wont go into. Thats why i posted the full quality zip files. If anyone wants to add these to the wiki feel free. Maybe if everyone likes it it can become the official one :)

dferriman
May 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
What program did you use? The logo in the middle could use some Vector love. Try re-making it in InkScape. It looks a little rough. Love the idea of them though - even the "heavy metal" ones :)

bigmonmulgrew
May 16th, 2012, 10:37 PM
What program did you use? The logo in the middle could use some Vector love. Try re-making it in InkScape. It looks a little rough. Love the idea of them though - even the "heavy metal" ones :)

Originally i used a combination of ms paint and gimp (mostly gimp) to draw 11.10.
Then i used the presets in google picasa to make the new ones for 12.04., mostly because id just upcate to the latest version and wanted to try it out. The logo in the middle is actually a slight oval. It was obvious when it was printed to a cd. Ive since edited it to make it more round for the versions ive got here but ive not done many print tests yet.

Ill take a look at inkskape.

UsernameIsInUse
May 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Well, technically a great design, however, the logo is aliassed.
Try making the logo (in the center of the cd) in SVG format and correctly export it to an PNG or TARGA. Just boosts the professionality, I think.

dferriman
May 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Originally i used a combination of ms paint and gimp (mostly gimp) to draw 11.10.
Then i used the presets in google picasa to make the new ones for 12.04., mostly because id just upcate to the latest version and wanted to try it out. The logo in the middle is actually a slight oval. It was obvious when it was printed to a cd. Ive since edited it to make it more round for the versions ive got here but ive not done many print tests yet.

Ill take a look at inkskape.

GIMP is great for final touches, but vector is awesome due to its scaling abilities. I haven't tried Picasa yet. Good luck.

bigmonmulgrew
May 18th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Well, technically a great design, however, the logo is aliassed.
Try making the logo (in the center of the cd) in SVG format and correctly export it to an PNG or TARGA. Just boosts the professionality, I think.

I'm not really sure what you mean by aliased (I'm not a graphics artist)
I'm familiar with the term, do you mean that the fading on the logo has been removed?

As soon as I get chance I will take a look at SVG formats and see if I can update the image to look a little better.

bigmonmulgrew
May 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
GIMP is great for final touches, but vector is awesome due to its scaling abilities. I haven't tried Picasa yet. Good luck.

I'd recommend you try Picasa. It is of course very simple and easy to use which is exactly why I use it. If I only want to do something simple its quicker and easier. It can also do some basic colour re-balancing and again is very easy to use in this regard.

The preset morphs can produce some dramatic effects with very little effort. Which is exactly what I did here. Not always ideal but a very quick and easy tool.

Hwt
May 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM
Black one looks best imo

dferriman
May 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'd recommend you try Picasa. It is of course very simple and easy to use which is exactly why I use it. If I only want to do something simple its quicker and easier. It can also do some basic colour re-balancing and again is very easy to use in this regard.

The preset morphs can produce some dramatic effects with very little effort. Which is exactly what I did here. Not always ideal but a very quick and easy tool.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. Right now, the only thing keeping me tied to Illustrator is the eraser tool. If Picasa has one and can make complex designs, I'll gladly make the swap :)