PDA

View Full Version : Forgetting installed apps...forever

oregonbob
May 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sometimes I need an application so I might install two or three of the leading apps to see which one I like best. Or maybe I'll be browsing the no-feature Ubuntu Software Center, see something interesting and install it to give it a try.

With this crazy new touch-screen interface you can lose apps forever if you can't remember some key part of the title so it shows up in a search. This new Unity app will go down as the biggest blunder ever made in linux.

WorMzy
May 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Use a different DE/WM then. Or switch to a different distro entirely. There's plenty out there.

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
And the whinefest continues... If you forgot it, you can type some keywords like text, web, etc etc or choose to show all installed apps and then sort out using the categories on the right side (Internet, Office, ...) Dunno about you, but that looks like the classic menu to me, just more hassle.

If you don't like Unity, then gnome-panel is still available. No need to repartition your hard drive to switch to a new distro.

jerome1232
May 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Sometimes I need an application so I might install two or three of the leading apps to see which one I like best. Or maybe I'll be browsing the no-feature Ubuntu Software Center, see something interesting and install it to give it a try.

With this crazy new touch-screen interface you can lose apps forever if you can't remember some key part of the title so it shows up in a search. This new Unity app will go down as the biggest blunder ever made in linux.

No.

1) Unity isn't an application, it's a compiz plugin.

2) Press Super (window key)+A, click on show more on the installed section. browse all of your apps. Win. This is the application lens for the dash, enjoy.

3) dpkg tracks all applications you have installed, there are methods to query it for a list of installed applications.

4) Ubuntu Software Center, has a view which allows you to view all installed applications, or packages.

5) Adapt to change, or go to another desktop environment, flailing your arms in the water and whining is annoying, not helpful.

whatthefunk
May 12th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I love how the solution is not a suggested change to unity but a kick in the pants and a toss into the street. Ubuntu would really benefit from a realization that it could be easier....

jerome1232
May 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I love how the solution is not a suggested change to unity but a kick in the pants and a toss into the street. Ubuntu would really benefit from a realization that it could be easier....

Again.

No.

1) It's not a legitimate complaint.

2) I did suggest using another DE.

3) Different strokes for different folks, Some like Gnome-shell, some like Unity, others KDE4, etc... Saying one "sucks" may be true for that individual user, but I assure all are quite usable Desktop Environments in general.

oregonbob
May 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM
The one complaining about whinefest must have never tried it

" If you forgot it, you can type some keywords like text"

Baloney! That is what inspired me to post in the first place. You can type in keywords until you are blue in the face and it will give you unrelated ridiculous results or *nothing* at all.

I really expected to see things fixed in 12.04, but it just got worse. I'm sure its great for tablets but most people still use PC's.

I've been a Ubuntu-only user for at least 5 years now and this crap has me almost frustrated enough to just go back to Windows and forget it.

Face it: Unity still sucks, bad. It crashes on my fresh install with nVidia and 8GB RAM. It is unbelievable low quality or not ready for production. Sorry but it is a horrible mistake that will be the final nail in the coffin of linux desktop.

I am a consultant for businesses. I wanted so much to get workstations off Windows and into a nice workable, reliable linux desktop. That goal is totally killed now. Each version of Ubuntu is worst than the last. Ubuntu needs to get with a workable alternative and make it actually work for a change. This must be why Google has been distancing itself from Linux in general. They saw it early on.

oregonbob
May 12th, 2012, 06:31 PM
No.

1) Unity isn't an application, it's a compiz plugin.

2) Press Super (window key)+A, click on show more on the installed section. browse all of your apps. Win. This is the application lens for the dash, enjoy.

3) dpkg tracks all applications you have installed, there are methods to query it for a list of installed applications.

4) Ubuntu Software Center, has a view which allows you to view all installed applications, or packages.

5) Adapt to change, or go to another desktop environment, flailing your arms in the water and whining is annoying, not helpful.

LOL, you said it well. A long, long list of hacking, patching, substituting, working-around, changing, mangling until you have something that might almost work.

WorMzy
May 12th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sorry but it is a horrible mistake that will be the final nail in the coffin of linux desktop.

Ubuntu + Unity != Linux Desktop

There are alternatives out there. Use them. I haven't used Ubuntu in years due to the poor decisions Canonical were making. Alienating their users is nothing new, and complaining never makes them change their minds.

oregonbob
May 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Ubuntu + Unity != Linux Desktop

There are alternatives out there. Use them. I haven't used Ubuntu in years due to the poor decisions Canonical were making. Alienating their users is nothing new, and complaining never makes them change their minds.

Several have suggested 'use alternative' but never mentioned their preferred alternative. What's up with that?

(I am now installing Cinnamon, again. I have tried others like xfce, but all the alternatives I have tried have something major lacking.)

So the status of linux on the desktop appears to be: nonexistent. But it will run nicely on my phone :)

WorMzy
May 12th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Well, I use Arch Linux with Openbox as a stand alone window manager, have tint2 as a taskbar/system tray, wbar as a application launcher, and xmobar as a system status monitor.

I like to have full control over my desktop.

jerome1232
May 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I use Unity on two machines, LXDE on another. Cinnamon and MATE are very gnome2 like (MATE is actually a fork of it), so will be what your used to.

Also I didn't list a "long list of hacking... ect" I listed standard tools to list installed applciations. The same that you would use under any other Desktop Envrionment. Menu's are not an all encompassing list of installed applications, never have been.

whatthefunk
May 13th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Several have suggested 'use alternative' but never mentioned their preferred alternative. What's up with that?

(I am now installing Cinnamon, again. I have tried others like xfce, but all the alternatives I have tried have something major lacking.)

So the status of linux on the desktop appears to be: nonexistent. But it will run nicely on my phone :)

Try Kubuntu or install KDE on your Ubuntu install.

Mopar1973Man
May 13th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I just installed the Synaptic Package Manager so I can see all the programs that are installed.

There is a search for all applications icon that you could hit and display everything that is installed also.

But hey I'm just a Linux Noob... ;)

Bucky Ball
May 13th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Install xfce4, log out, choose 'Xfce Session' from the 'Sessions' menu, log in.

I never went back. Xfce is the desktop environment used by Xubuntu. If you like you might also like to install 'xfce4-goodies'. If you don't, hey, try something else.

Enjoy. It is no great shakes. People use what suits their work (or play) style and requirements. Go for the path of least resistance! I don't really want to know I am using a DE at all (in other words, I don't want it in the way, just want a streamlined user experience ... for me, not anyone else ...). ;)

Incidentally, this should be in Recurring Discussion or Testimonials rather than here. I will ask mods to move ...

uRock
May 13th, 2012, 03:10 AM

If it were to get any easier, then it would start reading my mind and do what I want before I even sit down.

Bucky Ball
May 13th, 2012, 03:20 AM
If it were to get any easier, then it would start reading my mind and do hat I want before I even sit down.

Ha. Lol. Yea. I feel the same with my setup up but am using Xfce rather than Unity or anything else, which proves: different strokes, etc; the way it is configured is what's more important in my books.

I want to get one of these ...

http://www.emotiv.com/

And they're wireless so it is nearly possible, uRock! I emailed Emotiv and the Linux software will be around mid-June (Windows only currently).

cariboo907
May 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Unity does have a bit of a learning curve, and sometimes we miss something that is so obvious, we have to do a personal /facepalm when someone posts a solution. :)

uRock
May 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Unity does have a bit of a learning curve, and sometimes we miss something that is so obvious, we have to do a personal /facepalm when someone posts a solution. :)

+1 This is where I look when I do not know the name of an application.

rai4shu2
May 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM
If it were to get any easier, then it would start reading my mind and do what I want before I even sit down.

Why can't it do that? Oh right. Those are all patented by Apple. :P