PDA

View Full Version : I like the old gnome interface. I hate the new Unity interface

charleswb
May 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I am a newbie to this forum, but am an intermediately experienced Ubuntu user.

I starter using version 10.04 a couple years ago. It was good, but had some problems.

Then I updated to 11.04 and used it for a year or so. It's fantastic.

Recently I upgraded to 12.04 LTS and had problems getting it to run. So I uninstalled that and installed (from scratch) 11.10.

I was able to install Ubuntu 11.10 successfully, but I HATE the Unity interface. I absolutely loath it. I found various suggestions online for installing Gnome, but it didn't look right because it was Gnome 3 instead of Gnome 2. I found more instructions for how to remedy that, but it was very complicated, confusing, frustrating, and despite my best efforts I could not get it to look like the Classic interface I am used to.

So I uninstalled Ubuntu 11.1 and reinstalled 11.04. I am very happy to be back to 11.04 using the Classic interface.
Note: My computer is very powerful with lots of RAM, hard-drive space, and quad core. I have lots of computer power to run Unity, but I love Classic interface and hate the Unity interface for human reasons.
===

Here is what I want to know. How can I tell the Ubuntu developers about this? I love Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome aka Ubuntu Classic, and I HATE the Unity interface.

I have the Unity interface so much that I will NEVER again upgrade to a version that doesn't have the Ubuntu Classic interface built in.

Some day when my Ubuntu 11.04 becomes obsolete, I will switch to using Windows because I'm already familiar with all versions of Windows. My computer has VirtualBox with Ubuntu 11.04 for the Host Operating System, and for Guest Operating Systems it has W2K, WXP, W7, and Ubuntu 11.04. (I run Ubuntu 11.04 for host and another install of it as a guest). That is my home computer.

At work we use Ubuntu 10.04 (which I intend to upgrade to 11.04), WXP, and W7. Soon we'll be using only Ubuntu 11.04 and W7.

So I am familiar with all versions of Windows and Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.04, and somewhat familiar with Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04.

It won't be to hard for me (some day in future) to dump Ubuntu and switch to Windows 7, but it will be a sad day because I love Ubuntu 11.04 with its Classic interface and I love the concept of Ubuntu as a rival to Microsoft and Apple.

But someday my Ubuntu 11.04 will become too obsolete to use, and I refuse to upgrade to a version that lacks Classic Gnome and tries to force Unity on me.

PLEASE bring back the Ubuntu Classic interface in future versions. Ideally as the default, or at least as an easy to chose option. I will NOT use Unity.

How can I get the above information to the Ubuntu developers? I'm not a newbie to Ubuntu, but I am a newbie to the Ubuntu forum and interacting with other Ubuntu people.

sisco311
May 12th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Not a support question.

Thread moved to Testimonials Recurring Community Cafe forum.

zombifier25
May 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Lucky for you, the classic session is only an apt-get away:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
With this, you can get your favorite desktop back while still using the latest Ubuntu.
P.S. Do some research next time before whining :)

EDIT: Read here to make Classic Session look like that of in the old version: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/

nothingspecial
May 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM
This forum does not need another thread like this.

If you would like to know about the other interfaces that are available create a new thread in the Desktop Environments section.

Closed