PDA

View Full Version : Lets here what you have to say about The HUD and the new Unity

sadaruwan12
May 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
This is not a bout the new 12.04 theres lot of forum thread to take care of that topic. This is to get your ideas on what you think of the new Unity and newest member of the system The HUD.

Well regardless of what most people say and the criticism I like unity and have adjusted to it nicely after using the GNOME 2.xx for ages with the 10.04 which I tweaked to fit my liking.

Personally I love the HUD why 'cos it let's me keep my hands on the keyboard and search what I want in the menu. But when it comes to the office package well that's another story but in time that'll get fixed (I hope).

So this is my 2 cents on this what do you guys have to say about this.

jespdj
May 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I haven't used it that much yet but my experience until now is that it's really handy if you're using the keyboard and you want to quickly navigate to some function that's in the menu - no need to grab the mouse.

When Unity first came out I wasn't a big fan, but I guess I've gotten used to it and in the last two Ubuntu releases there have been some good improvements. I like it now.

sadaruwan12
May 10th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Wow, nice 3 votes as a good idea it seems like devs at canonical has got something right. But this will be a gr8 improvement when they get the HUD to work with libreoffice.

PaulW2U
May 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
As a KDE user who only has Unity installed on a netbook, I can't say that I've used it much. And when I have, it hasn't really been of much use. That probably says more about the applications that I was using at the time, LibreOffice and Opera than the programming and work that has gone into developing the HUD.

I voted "Needs improvement" as to be effective it needs to work with all applications. I'm sure by the time of the next LTS release the HUD will have got to where Canonical want it to be. But for now, it's not for me.

sadaruwan12
May 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM
As a KDE user who only has Unity installed on a netbook, I can't say that I've used it much. And when I have, it hasn't really been of much use. That probably says more about the applications that I was using at the time, LibreOffice and Opera than the programming and work that has gone into developing the HUD.

I voted "Needs improvement" as to be effective it needs to work with all applications. I'm sure by the time of the next LTS release the HUD will have got to where Canonical want it to be. But for now, it's not for me.

A very good point PaulW2U except for the libre office other programs are working with it you should try it more offten.

Paqman
May 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM
HUD is full of win. I had to use Inkscape for the first time the other day, and instead of rummaging around in the menus trying to find where a command was buried I was able to just hit ALT and start typing. This is really a quantum leap forward in discoverability for complex apps. It's much more seamless to have this as a feature of the desktop instead of having to go off and Google how to achieve a specific task.

There have been some slightly weird concepts going into Ubuntu from the interface bods lately (global menu, overlay scrollbars, etc) but HUD is immense.

Peter09
May 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Same with bookmarks in firefox. Browsing the internet or typing into google, tap alt, <book mark name> enter and you get the bookmark up in a new tab.

Quick and useful, much better than looking through loads of menu items.

kef_kf
May 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Same with bookmarks in firefox. Browsing the internet or typing into google, tap alt, <book mark name> enter and you get the bookmark up in a new tab.

Quick and useful, much better than looking through loads of menu items.

I can't wait till they implement the non-menu options as well, such as next tab, previous tab, close tab, switch to tab etc. or dialogue options like using the open media/play button on a dialogue thru the HUD.

Basically I want to be able to operate the UI without using the mouse at all.

Bandit
May 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
HUD has great potential. But has a learning curve. Thus most everyone doesnt know to full navigate HUD and other parts of Unity to their top potential.
Really think we need some video tutorials posted here in the forums to for everyone to be able to watch and get the most out of Unity. I have a awful redneckish voice or I would do it for the heck of it.

wolfen69
May 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Doesn't everyone know you're supposed to hate it? It's not cool to like anything ubuntu changes. To be a hater, is to truly live. Because if you say you hate something enough times, it will surely change. Right?

KiwiNZ
May 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
HUD, Unity and Ubuntu for great, heaven forbid that Ubuntu becomes the grey man OS the naysayers would have it be.

mfZero
May 11th, 2012, 01:01 AM
It's a bit too "literal," and at first, I wasn't impressed but when I was using TexWorks and tried to change the coloring, I used the HUD, and I've been loving it ever since.

I know it was considered a stupid idea at first because people thought it required too much typing, but that's not the case at all. It works pretty much the same way as the Omnibar in Chrome.

Benjamindaines
May 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I like it, but the scrolling is weird on my computer (jumps up and down as I try to scroll normally, and keeps going slowly for a long time if I flick my scroll), and I'd like to be able to put the launcher bar on the bottom of the screen (Mac style). Also looking forward to the new status menus drafted for 12.10.

Bandit
May 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Some things work great in it, like opening a document in gedit. Tab F space O. Works great and is fast. Then there is Firefox that seems impossible to get the bookmarks to work even if you type in book or bookmarks..
Its still hit or miss. Hope it gets better and sure it will.

3rdalbum
May 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I would love to actually get into the habit of using HUD. It sounds fantastic - like a real timesaver. It also makes Unity more "helpful" which is what I love to see in a desktop. I was doing an online test of my Word and Excel skills, and I've never seriously used the 2007 edition before with the ribbon. If the HUD had been available for searching the Ribbon, it would have been incredibly convenient rather than browsing around each tab of the Ribbon in an effort to find the option I was looking for. Alas, of course the HUD is not available on Windows.

I just can't seem to shake the habit of going to the menus. I'd love to think "I wonder where that option is - oh, I know, I'll use the HUD" and just do it. But my mouse just goes up to the global menubar and I start looking, without even remembering HUD. I must try and break this habit so I can give an honest opinion on how well the HUD is implemented :-)

sadaruwan12
May 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I would love to actually get into the habit of using HUD. It sounds fantastic - like a real timesaver. It also makes Unity more "helpful" which is what I love to see in a desktop. I was doing an online test of my Word and Excel skills, and I've never seriously used the 2007 edition before with the ribbon. If the HUD had been available for searching the Ribbon, it would have been incredibly convenient rather than browsing around each tab of the Ribbon in an effort to find the option I was looking for. Alas, of course the HUD is not available on Windows.

I just can't seem to shake the habit of going to the menus. I'd love to think "I wonder where that option is - oh, I know, I'll use the HUD" and just do it. But my mouse just goes up to the global menubar and I start looking, without even remembering HUD. I must try and break this habit so I can give an honest opinion on how well the HUD is implemented :-)

Well it's our old habits but once you get into the habit using HUD I can say it's addictive. I use some windows machines at work when I'm using a software when I want to get function from the menus I keeps on pressing ALT to get the HUD but it's only in Ubuntu.

Yes as all software HUD needs more work it's not at it's peak yet some parts are still sketchy but it will improve 'cos personally this is a great for newbies they can just search and go.

And another thing some people have voted HUD as useless but haven't said why if some thinks HUD as useless please leave a note so we also can see why you think it as useless.

cariboo
May 11th, 2012, 07:12 AM
And another thing some people have voted HUD as useless but haven't said why if some thinks HUD as useless please leave a note so we also can see why you think it as useless.

They are probably the same people that say Unity sucks, without giving a reason. :)

Technoviking
May 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I like it but keeP forgetting it is there.

T-V

sadaruwan12
May 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I like it but keeP forgetting it is there.

T-V

Thats because we're so addicted to the old mouse point and go menus but you'll come over it.

sadaruwan12
May 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
They are probably the same people that say Unity sucks, without giving a reason. :)

agreed 100%.

sadaruwan12
May 14th, 2012, 09:07 AM
No one else want to take part in this poll.