PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] Move Unity Launcher To The Bottom Of The Desktop ~ precise

rostom_zer
May 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hello every one

is there any way to move the unity launcher to the bottom of the desktop as the picture below

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TenfFZ49QmU/Tqk8Z4FYVgI/AAAAAAAAGZ0/scd54nkNW9E/unity-launcher-bottom.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vx5n1PNfmrk/Tqk8Z3ss9iI/AAAAAAAAGZ4/WLsOK6-OLgg/unity-launcher-bottom_2.png

Isn't really cool !!!

the trick is makable in ubuntu 11.10 so

how to do that in 12.04 guys ???

thanX

CharlesA
May 8th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Look here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/33605/can-i-move-the-unity-launcher

meduser
May 25th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I think the date on that link is from 2011, and 12.04 this does not work

CharlesA
May 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I think the date on that link is from 2011, and 12.04 this does not work
Yes, the second response in the above link has a link to a bug report and quote from Mark Shuttleworth.

It is not possible in 12.04.

cecilpierce
May 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
That is a shame, I hate it on the left, always hitting something with the mouse by accident.

rostom_zer
June 8th, 2012, 04:57 AM
okay we know that it is not working in 12.04 (precise)

why and how to make it works ?

thanX...

CharlesA
June 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
It doesn't work because moving the launcher is not supported in 12.04.

Jaskaran498
June 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I think it can be compiled to be compatible for 12.04 but its way too difficult task. Maybe some expert can do it...:popcorn:

vasa1
June 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I think it can be compiled to be compatible for 12.04 but its way too difficult task. Maybe some expert can do it...:popcorn:
It's easier to get used to it on the left as the developers intended it to be.

The issue of "always hitting something with the mouse by accident. " can be sorted out by adjusting the sensitivity.

Jaskaran498
June 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Most people hate it on left side. And i dont think that ubuntu doesnt know it.
So why doesnt they moves it to lower part of screen? Or better option to give an option for its placement for user comfort.

I wonder if theyll fix this in future...

vasa1
June 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Most people hate it on left side...
Okay :)

Move to Recurring?

wojox
June 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM

It won't be (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/668415/comments/2)

MG&TL
June 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
If someone wants to reinvent/recompile Unity Rotated plugin, feel free. I can't imagine it's impossible, just a few tweaks here and there.

CharlesA
June 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
So why doesnt they moves it to lower part of screen? Or better option to give an option for its placement for user comfort.

Having it on the left "works for me"

Citation needed for the "most people hate it on the left side" comment.

oldos2er
June 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Moved to Recurring.

zombifier25
June 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM
With GNOME Panel I usually find myself moving across the screen to switch windows and do stuffs. With the panel on the left things are easier since
1. I constantly pin my most used apps on the left. Likewise, I want to switch windows, and the Launcher is on the left.
2. I have my most visited websites pinned as app tab on Firefox - on the left
3. English is left to right :D

thatguruguy
June 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Why do people write "Most people" when they mean "I"?

MG&TL
June 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Because otherwise they'll be mocked, laughed at, and their arguments will sound weak. (the first two possibly as a consequence of the third).

Although I have a distinct feeling that that was rhetorical. ;)

thatguruguy
June 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Because otherwise they'll be mocked, laughed at, and their arguments will sound weak. (the first two possibly as a consequence of the third).

Although I have a distinct feeling that that was rhetorical. ;)

It was, indeed, a rhetorical question.

The practice of stating "Most people..." is a logical fallacy known as an "argumentum ad populum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum)" or "an appeal to the majority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum)." It's basically stating, "A lot of people think how I do, so I must be right." The argument necessarily ignores the wisdom of Anatole France (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27546.html).

BigSilly
June 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I like Ubuntu's Unity bar on the left. I'm actually currently using Mint 13 Cinnamon with Cairo Dock at the bottom, but I kinda miss the left side launcher of Ubuntu. I like Gnome Shell too. Be careful with me - there's not many of us around. :D

Copper Bezel
June 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
The left-hand edge is certainly more readily accessible. The objections come from a visual design standpoint (or familiarity with bottom-edge taskbars and docks) or from the auto-hide behavior (since frequently-used controls in windows are far more likely to be on the left edge than the bottom of the window, for the same reason the Launcher is.)

Gnome Shell doesn't exactly solve the problem, either. (Sure, the bar is on the left side, but it can't be invoked by moving the cursor there, so any quick-access advantage in the placement is lost in comparison to just having it on the bottom.) Of course, Shell is a different world, since the bar isn't the primary method of window switching, anyway.

It just becomes a question of which disadvantages irritate you more. I'm comfortable with Shell's arrangement, I think that the left-hand bar is logical and mirrors the left-hand panel used for navigation in file managers and web sites, and I've used docks on the left since before 11.04. But I think the left-hand dock is meant to be a part of Unity's visual identity, too.

philinux
June 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I prefer vertical space on widescreen monitors/screens. YMMV.

That is the global your. Not intended at any individual.

de Bacon
June 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I don't like unity or its bar on the left! I find the OS very clumsy, having to go through 2 to 3 steps to get changes in a screen-saver adjustment for instanced, is in my mind, nonsense. I change my screen saver time setting when I am not using the system to preserve energy. Energy usage is very important to me, being a conservation minded person. And why are the screen-saver options behind a icon and name called "brightness and lock" is totally illogical in my mind. I find reaching many of the main desktop functions, those I use to be very clumsy, and very limiting as to options. The fact that the launcher is on the left, to me, "only" defeats the flexibility that ubuntu had in the past seemed to lean toward so well, a computing for humans. Now it is seemingly leaning toward, jump into this box or go elsewhere. I long for the functionality and flexibility of 10.04 again!
And so there is more than one among those termed as "most people."

Now on to my issue in a separate thread, Arg!

thatguruguy
June 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I don't like unity or its bar on the left! I find the OS very clumsy, having to go through 2 to 3 steps to get changes in a screen-saver adjustment for instanced, is in my mind, nonsense. I change my screen saver time setting when I am not using the system to preserve energy. Energy usage is very important to me, being a conservation minded person. And why are the screen-saver options behind a icon and name called "brightness and lock" is totally illogical in my mind. I find reaching many of the main desktop functions, those I use to be very clumsy, and very limiting as to options. The fact that the launcher is on the left, to me, "only" defeats the flexibility that ubuntu had in the past seemed to lean toward so well, a computing for humans. Now it is seemingly leaning toward, jump into this box or go elsewhere. I long for the functionality and flexibility of 10.04 again!
And so there is more than one among those termed as "most people."

Now on to my issue in a separate thread, Arg!

"More than one" != "Most".

If your goal is conserving power, why not just suspend your computer? There's an entry for it under the cog at the right-most top corner of the screen.

QIII
June 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
By what means has it been established that most people hate it on the left side?

KiwiNZ
June 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM
By what means has it been established that most people hate it on the left side?

By the " I " means

dniMretsaM
June 8th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I never understood all the negative hype around the bar on the left side. When I used panels, I purposely put a launcher on the left. I found it highly intuitive. Also, I almost never activated it on accident, either. I think that the "most people hate launchers on the left" mentality is way over blown. I know this is just kind of reiterating what others have said, but just my two cents.

Jaskaran498
June 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Dude...
Search on Google. Youll know there are billion people out there asking for dock in bottom.:lolflag:

MadmanRB
June 9th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Just use KDE or XFCE.
Both are far more customizable then unity will ever hope to be

zombifier25
June 9th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Dude...
Search on Google. Youll know there are billion people out there asking for dock in bottom.:lolflag:

People who want it on the left usually does not say that they want it on the left. It'll be redundant :P

Landie_UK
June 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I don't really care where it is, I just wish the autohide function would work. If I autohide it I can't get it back:(
I have this problem with both my laptop and desktop. this makes my browser too small and I get a scroll bar across the bottom which sucks.

MadmanRB
June 9th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I don't really care where it is, I just wish the autohide function would work. If I autohide it I can't get it back:(
I have this problem with both my laptop and desktop. this makes my browser too small and I get a scroll bar across the bottom which sucks.

Again use kde or XFCE, no lock down over there

de Bacon
June 9th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Again use kde or XFCE, no lock down over there
I have tried it but the Orca Screen reader does not function, thus it is not a valid option for me. I prefer KDE to regular ubuntu in any case but since 11.10 the screen reader didn't function any more, Big Sigh!

If your goal is conserving power, why not just suspend your computer? There's an entry for it under the cog at the right-most top corner of the screen.
Why heck, it would take more time, effort and brain power to re-enter the pass word than going through the three step process to switch the screen saver setting! I don't call that efficiency.

thatguruguy
June 9th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I have tried it but the Orca Screen reader does not function, thus it is not a valid option for me. I prefer KDE to regular ubuntu in any case but since 11.10 the screen reader didn't function any more, Big Sigh!

Why heck, it would take more time, effort and brain power to re-enter the pass word than going through the three step process to switch the screen saver setting! I don't call that efficiency.

There's a check box for "Require my password when waking from suspend" in the same screen you go to in order to change your screensaver options. Uncheck it. From that point forward, all you'll have to do is press the power button on your computer, and choose "Suspend" from the dialogue that comes up, and your computer will suspend. Press the power button again, and your computer will wake back up. You'd be saving electricity, key strokes and mouse clicks.

You're welcome.

de Bacon
June 9th, 2012, 07:34 AM
You're welcome.

Now that is something I had not tried. I may, or not try that. Usually I get up and walk away from the machine, choosing to sweep the mouse across or his any keyboard key to awaken it, generally only to see if there is email. I don't use the sound applications for receiving messages or other alarm apps, due to my keen senses. Being physically alarmed by the un-wanted noise of the computer's alarm system, I had to shut that stuff (expletive) off.

Anyway, thanks for the effort in responding. I take it you demand a thank you in return for your effort, so now you have it.

cimdrap
June 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM
th epoint is "customization"! Anyone should be able to put the launcher wherever he feels it comfortable

philinux
June 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
th epoint is "customization"! Anyone should be able to put the launcher wherever he feels it comfortable

If you want that then you'll have to go with something like cinnamon.

Mark has said left and that's it.

[edit] link re-posted https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/668415/comments/2

zombifier25
June 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Rumors have it that right side will be available for right-to-left languages speakers, but that would be the only side you can put it. EDIT: Aside from left.

craig10x
June 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
What i can't understand is why they are so "pig headed" (if you will excuse the expression) about offering the option to move the unity launcher to the bottom...

Fine...have it on the left for the default, for newbies and for a uniform look with their other devices...but would it really kill them to give the option of moving it to the bottom for those that desire it?

I'd love to move it to the bottom, make it as small as possible (pixel size smaller to make it about a normal panel size) and then have it auto hide, only coming up when i need to launch something...

While i like unity now with the launcher on left i would LOVE unity if i could do what i just described...

As a second note (though i really feel it should be offered as an official option)...why isn't there a 3rd party application like "My Unity" offering this option?

philinux
June 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
As a second note (though i really feel it should be offered as an official option)...why isn't there a 3rd party application like "My Unity" offering this option?

Open Myunity and click on credits. Email the core developer and ask him.

Copper Bezel
June 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM
There's a check box for "Require my password when waking from suspend" in the same screen you go to in order to change your screensaver options. Uncheck it.
Oh, awesome. That option wasn't present in 11.10, and it was a known bug; the only workaround was to disable lockdown in dconf. Now it behaves normally. Thanks!

zombifier25
June 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM

That would be modifying the code itself. So, not possible.

craig10x
June 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
It was suggested by a friend on another forum to try Cairo Dock and go into the session created on ubuntu for it...

That solved the problem for me...got it on the bottom where i want it, very attractive, works great and seems like it allows me to do things quicker and more efficiently then on unity (kind of like a panel would give one)...

As i mentioned, got use to unity and was able to work with it, but just don't care for the left side business...glad i tried Cairo Dock! :)

I'm using the session that just gives me that along with the unity panel on top (global menu) which is exactly what i wanted...

Dr. C
June 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Unity is relased under the GNU GPLv3 / GNU LGPLv3. https://launchpad.net/unity So if someone wants the launcher on the bottom or somewhere else on the screen then they can:

1) Download the source code
2) Make the necessary modifications
3) Distribute the modifed version of Unity as per the GNU GPLv3 / GNU LGPLv3

This is the whole point after all of Free Libre Open Source Software.

The comment explains the rationale as to why Canonical does not want to do this first: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/668415/comments/25

justjinxed
July 3rd, 2012, 02:48 AM
Ya know I keep hearing the same song and dance about moving this bar around and how Unity doesn't want to take the extra effort because it would be too confusing to the average user. Yet windows (gasp, I said it) and other OS's seem to have no issue. Even the android cupcake has a way to move the home button.

Honestly, these little trite excuses are falling short. I've gone and uninstalled unity now on enough machines to make my head spin.

When someone says 'most' people would like to move the bar, I'd tend to agree. A simple google search for [move unity bar ubuntu] shows abt 1.4 Million pages. I recall when this conversation originally started. The answer was maybe, most likely, next version. Now it's just a fascist NO, not going to happen. And it's the author who isn't allowing the committed changes to the source to allow it to happen!

This is getting disgusting. I'll be writing development personally with my opinion that Unity should be removed from Ubuntu and an alternative found. There is no excuse for this behavior short of pure obstinance to continue an unreasonable argument.

diesch
July 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM
Ya know I keep hearing the same song and dance about moving this bar around and how Unity doesn't want to take the extra effort because it would be too confusing to the average user.

It's not because it would be too confusing to the average use but because it would cause too much extra work for the developers for too little effort.

It's not so much about implementing it but about having an additional option that needs continuous testing and an addition a source for bugs.

isaacj87
July 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Unity is relased under the GNU GPLv3 / GNU LGPLv3. https://launchpad.net/unity So if someone wants the launcher on the bottom or somewhere else on the screen then they can:

1) Download the source code
2) Make the necessary modifications
3) Distribute the modifed version of Unity as per the GNU GPLv3 / GNU LGPLv3

This is the whole point after all of Free Libre Open Source Software.

The comment explains the rationale as to why Canonical does not want to do this first: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/668415/comments/25

Thanks for linking the comment. I've never seen that before and Mark clarifies his whole position on Unity/Ubuntu really well.

Ya know I keep hearing the same song and dance about moving this bar around and how Unity doesn't want to take the extra effort because it would be too confusing to the average user. Yet windows (gasp, I said it) and other OS's seem to have no issue. Even the android cupcake has a way to move the home button.

Honestly, these little trite excuses are falling short. I've gone and uninstalled unity now on enough machines to make my head spin.

When someone says 'most' people would like to move the bar, I'd tend to agree. A simple google search for [move unity bar ubuntu] shows abt 1.4 Million pages. I recall when this conversation originally started. The answer was maybe, most likely, next version. Now it's just a fascist NO, not going to happen. And it's the author who isn't allowing the committed changes to the source to allow it to happen!

This is getting disgusting. I'll be writing development personally with my opinion that Unity should be removed from Ubuntu and an alternative found. There is no excuse for this behavior short of pure obstinance to continue an unreasonable argument.

I think, in large part, M. Shuttleworth's comment explains the vision for Ubuntu and Unity.

I've been a long time Ubuntu user (my join date is when I started). Sure, I've bounced around trying distros here and there, but I started Linux with Ubuntu and I never really left it. I always told myself that if Ubuntu could unify the experience and create a focused vision for the Linux desktop, it could be really successful. Whatever the rationale for the decisions made in Ubuntu, choices have to be made in order to make Ubuntu unique.

M. Shuttleworth has invested a great deal of time and money into the Ubuntu project. It's only fair he gets to create "his" vision of the Linux desktop. Furthermore, SABDFL has never been opposed to patches or the community branching off and doing their own thing.

I see it like this: You don't come into my house and tell me how I should of decorated or the best way to arrange my furniture; however, if you're comfortable, you're more than welcome to stay, chat, and have a beer. :)

de Bacon
July 10th, 2012, 07:09 AM
And since I don't like how the house is decorated nor beer, I moved out and back to Kubuntu where there is the freedom to move stuff to anywhere one wants it. I agree with justjinxed, there is a large chunk of obstinance in the position of "NO". There is a way around in the use of Kubuntu though. For me that means that the orca screen reader doesn't work for me any more which is very problematic for me, although when I have to have large documents read I can boot to the Ubuntu HDD and use it. It is quite an inconvenience although, for me, it is better than fighting with a system that is not as I would like it in appearance or functionality (again I bring up the issue of three mouse clicks through menus to get to make screen-saver changes, that is but one of many similar things). I do consider Unity very non intuitive, we all think differently and thus for me Unity sucks.

conradin
July 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
It's easier to get used to it on the left as the developers intended it to be.

I hate that attitude. The developers are lame, and forgot to add functionality to thier project. Customization is the heart of linux, not obeying the lame effects of paid devs/

CharlesA
July 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I hate that attitude. The developers are lame, and forgot to add functionality to thier project. Customization is the heart of linux, not obeying the lame effects of paid devs/
It is their choice isn't it? They want the Unity launcher on the left so it is consistent. How does that make them "lame?"

Don't like it, use a different DE or Distro.

Elfy
July 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Closed.

Another circular thread.

bodhi.zazen
July 11th, 2012, 11:57 PM

+1. It is almost as annoying as end users who have not contributed code.

That is what I like about open source, if I wish to add functionality, I can just code it myself.

If you would post a link to git hub, I would love to review your patch and take your customizations for a spin.

fullmoonguru
July 13th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Surprisingly, there are two obvious things that haven't been said in all these postings:

I don't know if "most" people want to move the launcher but certainly many, many people do. It's for the obvious reason that it's where the icons for open programs have lived for years on most OS's (I think). So we're used to looking down there to click on the Firefox icon, or whatever to gain focus. I'm new to Unity and suspect I'll like it better on the left once I get used to it, but for now I keep scanning the bottom looking for something to click on.

There is a compelling reason for putting it on the bottom though. Especially if you have a wide screen monitor, there is more room for icons on the bottom than on the side. So if you're a power user with bunches of stuff open you can get to it without scrolling on the bar.
Mark is trying to address the biggest weakness, (and the biggest strength in my opinion), with the Linux OS: too much flexibility! My wife looks at four different Linux computers & see's different UI's & it seems complicated.

I think they want to get people to use it long enough on the left side to give it a real chance instead of immediately moving it to the bottom the way I wanted to do. I think I'll try it on the side long enough for it to seem normal & then decide if I still want to move it.

charliemcdowell
July 18th, 2012, 08:08 AM
i don't have a true solution but sort of a cheat?

instead on using the launcher, i just downloaded a dock and under system settings> appearances> behavior
i turned the sensitivity to low so it wouldn't pop up without effort. and if you do set it too low, you can always right click and click on change background to get to the settings again if something goes wrong.

sorry its not a true solution. if i find one, ill post.

Version Dependency
July 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
i don't have a true solution but sort of a cheat?

instead on using the launcher, i just downloaded a dock and under system settings> appearances> behavior
i turned the sensitivity to low so it wouldn't pop up without effort. and if you do set it too low, you can always right click and click on change background to get to the settings again if something goes wrong.

sorry its not a true solution. if i find one, ill post.

A better solution might be to use Unity 2d and set the unity-2d-spread as an unexecutable. Log out and log back in. Now you have the top panel...and no launcher/dash/hud. But you still want the compiz effects, you say? Just do a compiz --replace (might need to set that to autostart in 2d).

craig10x
July 19th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cairo Dock session with unity panel (the top bar) makes a great alternate if one doesn't care for the fact that unity dock bar is on the left...

This way...you get a lovely dock (that normally auto-hides) and right on the bottom of your screen :D

It also works very well and in many ways, works more like a panel then unity does...

killfall
July 21st, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the launcher on the left. I'm not 100% used to it but I'm sure I'll adapt. The one thing I don't like about this whole issue is the fact that there is no choice and some developer somewhere has made the decision for me. It sounds very, dare I say it, Apple! "Do it our way or go away" kind of mentality. It just seems a little odd for the ubuntu community.

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Pretty sure this thread has run it's course.

If you don't like unity or the idea behind it, use a different DE.