PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new software for my Asus eee 900A netbook?

Rrory
May 8th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I love this netbook,it was my first experience in an all Ubuntu environment and it was great but I haven't upgraded the software it since I bought it over 3 years ago ; is there anything available as it has a tiny memory. But then I always store my stuff in a flashdrive so I've never had problems either.
cheers
rory

pcdoctor
May 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Plumtreed
May 9th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I suggest you consider Slitaz and a Puppy project named Saluki. Both install very small and are complete systems.

Each will operate in RAM for exceptionally fast performance.

They both work well on my eeePC701 and should do just as well on your 900A

Carborundum
May 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'd recommend you to go for regular Ubuntu 12.04. It runs great on my 901, which has pretty much the exact same specs as your 900A.

Rrory
May 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM
wow thanks for the great advice. Maybe I'll go for regular Ubuntu 12.04. as I'm so familiar and love it. Right now I'm trying Lubuntu but I'm having trouble getting it to boot from my USB.
Could you please tell me what the Bios function key for Asus is & then will it be easy like on a regular pc.

Rrory
May 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Bother: my eee 900a has 1GB RAM
4GB SSD

I tried and couldn't install Ubuntu 12.04 , Xubuntu or Lubuntu, said I didn't have enough space on my drive.

So what is the best distro for my little netbook? I only need it for Libre office and to Skype.
Rory

Sudan
August 29th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Bother: my eee 900a has 1GB RAM
4GB SSD

I tried and couldn't install Ubuntu 12.04 , Xubuntu or Lubuntu, said I didn't have enough space on my drive.

If your problem is still unresolved, this thread offers a fix. I installed Peppermint 3 with no problems onto my 900A. And using the info in the thread you could also install Lubuntu.

http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4911

Rrory
August 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Wow, I really appreciate the link as yeah I hadn't solved it at all. Off I go to install.
thanks!

OldAdamUser2
September 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Why not buy an inexpensive 8 GB SD card and boot Ubuntu from that? I run Ubuntu 11.10 on my Eee 900 in that manner and it is perfect. Here is a link to a detailed description of my installation and the various tweaks it took to get fluxbox working correctly as the gui. (Fluxbox is much lighter and faster than the standard Unity desktop.)

http://lakenorforkadventures.blogspot.com/2012/08/installing-ubuntu-1110-on-asus-eee-900.html

Rrory
September 18th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Okay, I made a bootable USB with Lubuntu, plugged in another empty 8G flashdrive into the netbook.
When I pressed F2 & edited the Bios settings I got this:

1.[removable device]
2. [ATAPI CD-ROM]
3. [HDD: SM-ASUS-Phison}

but there is this message on the right screen:
A device enlosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type. I tried to get rid of the parenthesis but failed.

Anyway when I try to restart the computer it won't boot from my flashdrive. Either with choice 1# or 2# I get the old software. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
thanks
Rory

snowpine
September 18th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Press the Esc key at the BIOS screen to get a list of boot options. You should be able to choose your USB from this list. (Removable devices do not appear in the F2 BIOS menu.)

Rrory
September 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Press the Esc key at the BIOS screen to get a list of boot options. You should be able to choose your USB from this list. (Removable devices do not appear in the F2 BIOS menu.)

That did the trick snowpine. It booted Lubuntu , I clicked on 'English' and then I got this message

(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system

I got the same message with Ubuntu & no success with Peppermint 3 either; what's going on?

snowpine
September 18th, 2012, 08:24 AM
What method did you use to create the bootable USB?

Can you test it on a different computer?