PDA

View Full Version : Why is Unity the default and not an option during install?

skclewis
May 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Why has Ubuntu forced its users to have Unity? Personally I find it useless and a resource hog. From posts here I have also concluded it has caused problems such as the black screen after install. I have been using Unbuntu since version 9. The classic Gnome desktop was easy to use and productive. When Unity came along in version 11, things changed for me dramatically. Since then I have had to remove Unity completely after reinstalling the Gnome classic so I can regain my productivity. I shouldn't have to do that. I am not sure if anyone else feels the same. I will continue to use Ubuntu because it beats the pants off other OS, but it sure would be nice not to have to change the desktop environment after each upgrade.

nothingspecial
May 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

vasa1
May 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM
How have you been forced? And do you install an OS before evaluating your options?

Version Dependency
May 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Why has Ubuntu forced its users to have Unity?

I know....right! I hate how Mark Shuttleworth shows up our houses with an Ubuntu installation disc, holds a gun to our head, and tells us "RUN IT OR DIE!" What is up with this psycho?! Why does he never have a Xubuntu disc on him?

thatguruguy
May 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I just got off the phone with Mark Shuttleworth. Here was the conversation:

MS: Has skclewis upgraded to 12.04 yet?
tgg: Apparently.
MS: What does he think of the Unity desktop?
tgg: Apparently, he doesn't like it.
MS: Well, that's too bad. He has to use it. OR ELSE.

He didn't say what the "OR ELSE" was. But I'm betting it's something bad. Really bad.

whatthefunk
May 4th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Ahh...this is what I love most about Ubuntu, the friendly forum environment.

PaulW2U
May 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Personally I find it useless and a resource hog.

I'm running it on a netbook, no problems here. :confused:

I know....right! I hate how Mark Shuttleworth shows up our houses with an Ubuntu installation disc, holds a gun to our head, and tells us "RUN IT OR DIE!" What is up with this psycho?! Why does he never have a Xubuntu disc on him?

After a long stressful week at work, I actually laughed to myself when I read this. Post of the day. :)

Will the Unity hate ever go away? ](*,)

qamelian
May 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Not as long as people feel they have a reason to hate it. I don't hate it, but I still consider it to be clumsy at best as UIs go. I don't really care though, as long as I can still ignore it and install a DE that feels right for me. I used Unity exclusively through the Precise development cycle and I can honestly say that I have no interest in ever using it again.

Dlambert
May 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Why has Ubuntu forced its users to have Unity? Personally I find it useless and a resource hog. From posts here I have also concluded it has caused problems such as the black screen after install. I have been using Unbuntu since version 9. The classic Gnome desktop was easy to use and productive. When Unity came along in version 11, things changed for me dramatically. Since then I have had to remove Unity completely after reinstalling the Gnome classic so I can regain my productivity. I shouldn't have to do that. I am not sure if anyone else feels the same. I will continue to use Ubuntu because it beats the pants off other OS, but it sure would be nice not to have to change the desktop environment after each upgrade.

If you prefer XFCE or LXDE etc, why not use Xubuntu, Lubuntu...etc?

Hylas de Niall
May 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Seems not. And why don't folk ever 'try before they '''buy''' '?

vasa1
May 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM

The friendliness exhibited may be related to the tenor of the OP's post. And isn't that the case in "real life" as well?

vasa1
May 4th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Not as long as people feel they have a reason to hate it. ...
There are a lot of things to hate. Why not just get on with life instead of describing (in tiresome detail) why one hates something and will never ever use it again?

qamelian
May 4th, 2012, 05:36 PM
There are a lot of things to hate. Why not just get on with life instead of describing (in tiresome detail) why one hates something and will never ever use it again?
Maybe for the same reason that others feel the need to endlessly defend things? Trust me...that is pretty tiresome too. :)

nothingspecial
May 4th, 2012, 05:43 PM
The last thing the world needs right now is yet another endless unity thread on ubuntuforums.org

In the interests the forums database....

Closed