PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gdm

Miykel
May 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
G'Day; If I want to install GDM should I purge lightdm first ??

Regards Miykel

effenberg0x0
May 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
No, there's no need to remove lightdm. Ubuntu config will be set to use gdm automatically.

Regards,
Effenberg

ventrical
May 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
What I did on a machine right next to me that had been working since a Natty install was install another desktop manager (and I forget now but I didn't choose GDM) from synaptic, but I had also downloaded Xubuntu-desktop previously. So I have this basic desktop manager and still have lighdm and untiy-greeter installed.

Actually I forget what I did. I'll have to find out what desktop manager I have in there. It may have something to do with xubuntu. Sorry if I have confused this.

Edit: Ok I think what I have is some sort of lighdm fall back that looks like GDM, but it's not.

On a machine with Unity 3D and Nvidia GF210 I had just purged lightdm but I think unity-greeter will go with it.

I'll check the history of my other installs.

meborc
May 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM
What I did on a machine right next to me that had been working since a Natty install was install another desktop manager (and I forget now but I didn't choose GDM) from synaptic, but I had also downloaded Xubuntu-desktop previously. So I have this basic desktop manager and still have lighdm and untiy-greeter installed.

Actually I forget what I did. I'll have to find out what desktop manager I have in there. It may have something to do with xubuntu. Sorry if I have confused this.

I want some of what you have been eating :D :lolflag:

ventrical
May 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
No, there's no need to remove lightdm. Ubuntu config will be set to use gdm automatically.

Regards,
Effenberg

There it is .. thanks for the reminder.

ventrical
May 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
I want some of what you have been eating :D :lolflag:

I live only a stone's throw away from the Fermi II reactor and I eat lots of Broccoli and Keen-Wah from Peru. So I am not sure exactly which one does it :)

Miykel
May 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Guys.......I think.....maybe....damn.
Regards Miykel

grahammechanical
May 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
I remember early in PP when LightDM would not let us log in we had to stop lightDM and start GDM.

Correct?

Here are the codes/commands/whatever :)

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo service gdm start

Regards.

effenberg0x0
May 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
I remember early in PP when LightDM would not let us log in we had to stop lightDM and start GDM.

Correct?

Here are the codes/commands/whatever :)

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo service gdm start

Regards.

Yes, at a point we did had lightdm broken, installing / using gdm was a viable option.

Regards,
Effenberg