PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microphone noise, even when mic is off

higashi
May 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM
I have a microphone with a 1/8in jack plugged into my laptop (i use a thing to plug in a 1/8in jack into my laptop's mic jack... i don't really know what it's called).

When recording there's a lot of background noise which at first I thought was just the microphone. But I did some testing today and the noise continues even after turning the microphone off. When turning it off, there's about a second of silence and then the noise resumes.

I'll test the same microphone in windows when i get the chance to see if I get the same problem there or not, and then I'll edit this post with the new info.

EDIT: I just tried the same setup in Windows and it worked perfectly with absolutely no noise.

I'm really hoping to fix this problem in ubuntu so that i don't have to boot into windows whenever i feel like recording something...

I'm not sure what details would be helpful to add here but I am running ubuntu 12.04 and I think I'm using ALSA (assuming that's the default thing)

higashi
May 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
bump

higashi
May 6th, 2012, 04:10 AM
bump

higashi
May 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I just bought a USB mic that works great with no noise so, at this point, I would think it's just the microphone. But I don't think there was this much noise when I was using 11.04, and then there's the fact that there wasn't any noise when I tried it in windows.

I'd really like to know how to solve this.