PDA

View Full Version : Best Browser to use with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

inspiredbylasers
April 29th, 2012, 02:31 AM
What's your preferred browser, and why?

Currently use Google Chrome, but have heard good things about Chromium.

Any input?

-Best,
Y.

PhantomTurtle
April 29th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Chromium is open source and does not have all that Google branding. It is basically the same. Some of the good things about Google Chrome is that it has a built in PDF viewer and runs in a sand boxed environment. For more info look here (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome).

not found
April 29th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

bradleyjones
April 29th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I love chromium, although I'm considering moving to google chrome just because of the inbuilt flash player which is quite nice especially as new versions of flash are no longer supported

inspiredbylasers
April 29th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I've heard of some people using Opera, and I wonder: why?

Best,
Y.

Version Dependency
April 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I've heard of some people using Opera, and I wonder: why?

Best,
Y.

Why not?

Pretty fast, speed dial, widgets, built in apps like note-taking and email...been around forever so many people used back in the day on Windows and want to use it on Linux...I'm sure there's many reasons Opera users could give you.

craig10x
April 29th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Chrome's advantages over Chromium is:

1) Built in pdf reader (very handy...and you can still save the file to your hard drive by right clicking it, if you so desire)..
2) Built in and more up-to-date Flash plug in 3) Automatically adds the update ppa to your update manager sources so no need to add anything for updated versions
4) You get newer versions more frequently then you would for Chromium updated versions..

I also think it's the best browser for linux because it has excellent rendering (of web pages), it's very fast and the settings are easy to use...

inspiredbylasers
April 29th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Chrome sounds the most convenient, for sure. I keep reading all these threads about people having issues with Firefox crashing..

mfZero
April 29th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Objectively speaking, Opera is by far the best browser, and has many features that Firefox and Chrome still haven't gotten right yet. Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't have very many add-ons.

Chrome and Chromium are both ungodly slow in Ubuntu, so Firefox for me.

craig10x
April 29th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Objectively speaking, Opera is by far the best browser, and has many features that Firefox and Chrome still haven't gotten right yet. Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't have very many add-ons.

Chrome and Chromium are both ungodly slow in Ubuntu, so Firefox for me.

Not on my laptop...chrome is blazingly fast...

wolfen69
April 29th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I use firefox because I have years of bookmarks and speed dial. I save my .mozilla file when I reinstall. Other than that, I have no reason to recommend firefox. I'm sure other browsers are just as capable.

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I'm surprised but I'm using Firefox at the moment. It feels warmer and more friendly than Chrome or Chromium, and just as fast.

With the Flash Player situation I might just switch back to Chrome.

gregzeng
October 21st, 2012, 01:28 AM
Opera !!
Usuable on so many operating systems: Windows, most flavors of Linux, Android, IO-X, ...

Chrome, Chromium & the Windows-versions of Chrome-based: NO DOWNLOADING OF YOU-TUBE ALLOWED.

Even Firefox allows YT d-loads.
Both Chrom* & FF are resource hogs if you have too many add-ons, or too many tabs.
Opera has a small and extremely well operating choice of add-ons. It around has so much included in the basic browser, that additional add-ons are not always needed.
FF & Chrom* have so many bad, duplicate & incompatible add-ons.
One day, I'll get to making a Y-Tube on the comparisons.

Jakin
October 21st, 2012, 02:01 AM
Chrome, Chromium & the Windows-versions of Chrome-based: NO DOWNLOADING OF YOU-TUBE ALLOWED.

http://keepvid.com/ this is how i download Youtube clips via chromium :)

monkeybrain2012
October 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Firefox.

For those who say Chrome is fast, wait til you have 30 tabs or so open. With Firefox I can keep about 100 + tabs without any slow down, whereas with chrome cpu /ram goes to 100% and locks up the system once you start scrolling (This is a known bug for a couple of years, google it). Chrome may start faster but there is no detectable difference once both are loaded. Also, gecko-mediaplayer doesn't work for chrome in Ubuntu 12.04 (apparently this happens only for Nvidia cards though). That is a problem if you want to access other media content than flash. Firefox also has many more addons and they tend to work better.

So I am keeping Chrome basically because of flash. But I am using two greasemonkey scripts in Firefox ( ViewTube and Linterna Magica) which pretty much take care of most of my need for flash without even having to install it, they work much better than flash anyway(videos at least)

monkeybrain2012
October 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM

With downhelper I can choose formats and strip audios (with ffmpeg as backend) with one click and it works not just on Youtube. Nothing comes close in Chrome/Chromium. :)

monkeybrain2012
October 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Opera !!
Usuable on so many operating systems: Windows, most flavors of Linux, Android, IO-X, ...

Even Firefox allows YT d-loads.
Both Chrom* & FF are resource hogs if you have too many add-ons, or too many tabs.
Opera has a small and extremely well operating choice of add-ons. It around has so much included in the basic browser, that additional add-ons are not always needed.
FF & Chrom* have so many bad, duplicate & incompatible add-ons.
One day, I'll get to making a Y-Tube on the comparisons.

Opera = no hardware acceleration if it is not allowed by default (in FF and Chrome you can enable it even if disabled by default) also, some sites don't render properly. Opera addons are useless. Installing user scripts is hit and miss. I used to use it a few years ago (FF 3* was slow) but eventually switched back to Firefox when it gain speed.

flavouride
October 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM

and this link as well =)

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-33362_4-75327988&ontId=33362_4&spi=cc4dd693d4306c787dd48a1accb631bb&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=12707846&mfgId=6307281&merId=6307281&pguid=UIWhmwoOYI8AAAscwt0AAAEx&ttag=dl_dldirect&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-33362_4-75327988.html%3Fspi%3Dcc4dd693d4306c787dd48a1accb6 31bb%26dlm%3D0

need to open chrome://chrome/extensions/ in the chrome browser and manually drag the downloaded *.crx file into it though