PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AFP / Netatalk broken with 12.04 "Failed to create entry group: Not permitted"

wesg
April 29th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I upgraded to 12.04 today and have run into what seems to be a widespread problem with Netatalk and AFPd. Inside syslog I see the following message:

afpd[15306]: AFP/TCP started, advertising 192.168.0.2:548 (2.2.2)
afpd[15306]: Failed to create entry group: Not permitted

This was after doing lots of changes to the authentication (uam) system according to other forum posts. I've read that what I'm experiencing has something to do with the different ways that netatalk deals with Avahi. What other settings do I have to change? There has been some discussion with this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netatalk/+bug/810732) but it's been tough to figure out exactly what the posters are saying.

wesg
April 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
After much gnashing of teeth, I was able to find the solution. I had to remove the Avahi service file and change to the proper configuration in both afpd.conf and netatalk.conf.

Here is the final afpd.conf line that seems to work:

- -tcp -noddp -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_dhx2_passwd.so -nosavepassword -setuplog "default log_info /var/log/afpd.log" -mimicmodel RackMac

netatalk.conf should have the same UAM list as this, and using uams_dhx2.so only didn't work.

El Chupacabra
May 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM
Adding:

- -tcp -noddp -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_dhx2_passwd.so -nosavepassword -setuplog "default log_info /var/log/afpd.log" -mimicmodel RackMac

.....works great. Well done. 'Course, instead of using Ubuntu 12, you could just switch to Debian 6 and do a source install of Netatalk where everything works great and nothing breaks. :-P

OliverHaslam
May 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Adding:

.....works great. Well done. 'Course, instead of using Ubuntu 12, you could just switch to Debian 6 and do a source install of Netatalk where everything works great and nothing breaks. :-P

Can you give some more info on the Debian route? Thinking of switching from Ubuntu for my VM host, and that's what is running my Time Machine backups.

El Chupacabra
May 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Check out the blog here (http://www.gimlisnipple.com/index.php/the-lion-the-witch-and-the-wardrobe-os-x-10-7-time-machine-and-your-netatalk-backup-server/) which gives step-by-step instructions

Some of the older libdb4.* might not install on Squeeze, but as long as you have 4.8, you should be good. Source install on Ubuntu works too, however I would stick to Debian if you're looking for the most stable solution.

n4gsx
July 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
using uams_dhx2.so only didn't work.

Using uams_dhx2.so didn't work for me either. I had to switch to uams_dhx2_passwd.so.

CarlosJHernandez
July 31st, 2012, 05:02 AM
I followed the other instructions on the post (Thanks everybody) and still got the following error on the afpd.log:

{afp_avahi.c:161} (E:AFPDaemon): Failed to add service: Local name collision

Then I removed the /etc/avahi/services/afpd.service file and that did the trick.

xdracco
September 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Adding:

or one could just have configured netatalk to use the uams_dhx2_passwd.so auth module from the very beginning right? =)