PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Unity Bar Auto-Hide feature bug

MaxxABillion
April 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I'm having issue with the unity bar auto-hide feature. With 11.10 the auto-hide feature was enabled and worked fine. Now, with 12.04 if I turn on the auto-hide feature the unity bar disappears and does not return even when I move my mouse to the left. This occurs even when all windows are minimized and i's just on the desktop. The only way to show the unity bar is to turn off the auto-hide feature. This is a little irritating, any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

MG&TL
April 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
You have to 'push' your mouse quite hard against the edge of the screen to reveal the launcher.

You can tweak this feature in CCSM if you like, or stick with the static launcher.

This was introduced to stop the complaints about the annoying 'browser back button shows launcher' syndrome. :)

Eirreann
April 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have the exact same problem! I think that it's a problem with the release, and (hopefully) there will be an update soon to fix it. (It annoys the crap outta me as well, haha!)

Eirreann
April 26th, 2012, 08:51 PM
You have to 'push' your mouse quite hard against the edge of the screen to reveal the launcher.

You can tweak this feature in CCSM if you like, or stick with the static launcher.

This was introduced to stop the complaints about the annoying 'browser back button shows launcher' syndrome. :)

Okay, well now I've got it to appear, but it won't disappear again! Forget browser back button completely!

MaxxABillion
April 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yea man this sucks bad...even if i tried ramming the mouse to the left...and adjusting the sensitivity....nothing!!!! THIS SUCKS!!!

usu
April 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I'm really hating this, also adjusting the sensibility doesn't help at all, it must be a bug...

NoNameWill
April 26th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I installed ccsm and only could get moderate control over the unity panel. I only stuck to ticking boxed and changing options in drop menus.

However go into System Setting>Appearance>Behavior
That will give allow you to set the sensitivity of activating the panel. The default is a annoyance being set too low.

MG&TL
April 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
NoNameWill, you need to hit the "Experimental" tab. :)

NoNameWill
April 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM
NoNameWill, you need to hit the "Experimental" tab. :)

I know I need to live a little, huh? :D

Eirreann
April 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I installed ccsm and only could get moderate control over the unity panel. I only stuck to ticking boxed and changing options in drop menus.

However go into System Setting>Appearance>Behavior
That will give allow you to set the sensitivity of activating the panel. The default is a annoyance being set too low.

Tried that, but it's still stuck as being constantly visible over any open programmes and won't hide itself...

codingman
April 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
That's a big juicy bug, i'll report this on launchpad if it's not already filed.

Eirreann
April 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM
That's a big juicy bug, i'll report this on launchpad if it's not already filed.

I would appreciate that!

NikTh
April 26th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Try
unity --reset command from terminal . Maybe something was stack .

Also try MyUnity for 12.04 program. More stable and secure that ccsm .(my opinion)

sudo apt-get install myunity

MG&TL
April 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Also try MyUnity for 12.04 program. More stable and secure that ccsm .(my opinion)

I think 'less opportunities for user error' may be more accurate-but I see your point. :)

SlasherIT
April 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
This is happening to me too! :(.

SwedishWings
April 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
+1

How could this slip through? UGLY bug!

futz
April 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM
By chance I just installed the Beta yesterday and this bug wasn't there. It worked correctly. Today I updated and I have the bug now. Tis annoying for sure. I'm sure they'll fix it quickly - it's a pretty bad little problem.

EDIT: It only happens sometimes. Right after a bootup it works correctly.

inspiredbylasers
April 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that my unity bar doesn't ever disappear to begin with. #MacDBproblems

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that my unity bar doesn't ever disappear to begin with. #MacDBproblems

That's started to be the case for me too! At first it wouldn't appear after disappearing, now after I rebooted it won't disappear after appearing, haha!

DogMatix
April 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I had this issue with 11.10. The problem seems to be less of a problem in 12.04.

I have found a double touch 'bump' 'bump' seems to reveal it now (!)?

Acer netbook ZG8

MaxxABillion
April 27th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Just for my information, does anyone know how to report a bug directly to the developers?

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I suspect all problems with unity are because of the nvidia graphics cards or the drivers installed.

If you are running the Nvidia-current 295.40 it may need to be rolled back to 295.33 or earlier. I have heard that 280 doesn't work and 173 is not compatible with Xserver 1.11

uRock
April 27th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Just for my information, does anyone know how to report a bug directly to the developers?

http://launchpad.net/

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I suspect all problems with unity are because of the nvidia graphics cards or the drivers installed.

If you are running the Nvidia-current 295.40 it need to be rolled back to 295.33 or earlier. I have heard that 280 doesn't work and 173 is not compatible with Xserver 1.11

Yeah, with Ubuntu 11.10 I was running the 173 drivers; so how do i upgrade/downgrade?

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Yeah, with Ubuntu 11.10 I was running the 173 drivers; so how do i upgrade/downgrade?

Well I don't think you can as the xserver 1.11 is not compatible with that driver.

You could install the driver by downloading it from nvidia. However that may make things worse. This would be ill advised.

To install a earlier driver this is one way.
Do this through tty (ctrl+alt+f2)

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

cd path/to/nvidia_driver

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-YOURDRIVER.run

MaxxABillion
April 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I want to report this bug but i'm such a newb to launchpad that i'm just going to wait and hope that it gets fixed.

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Well I don't think you can as the xserver 1.11 is not compatible with that driver.

You could install the driver by downloading it from nvidia. However that may make things worse. This would be ill advised.

To install a earlier driver this is one way.
Do this through tty (ctrl+alt+f2)

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

cd path/to/nvidia_driver

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-YOURDRIVER.run

Okay... so would I put 173 where you put in bold "YOURDRIVER"? Also, what is the likelihood that Ubuntu will be releasing a fix for this issue? I'd rather not do something that would screw up my computer if Ubuntu may be releasing a fix...

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Okay... so would I put 173 where you put in bold "YOURDRIVER"? Also, what is the likelihood that Ubuntu will be releasing a fix for this issue? I'd rather not do something that would screw up my computer if Ubuntu may be releasing a fix...

I don't know if they are going to fix it. If they do it may be awhile or not at all. This has been known since at least January. It may be up to nvidia to fix it. Since the 295.40 driver is borked. Who knows how much longer nvidia will take. I am rolling off the 295.33 driver.

If you do decide to do it that way. Just replace NVIDA-Linux-Yourdriver.run with the name Nvidia gives it. Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill.

This why I have three versions of Ubuntu in separate partitions. I alway suspect the newest version to need some work to get going. Like forcing things to work.

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I don't know if they are going to fix it. If they do it may be awhile or not at all. This has been known since at least January. It may be up to nvidia to fix it. Since the 295.40 driver is borked. Who knows how much longer nvidia will take. I am rolling off the 295.33 driver.

If you do decide to do it that way. Just replace NVIDA-Linux-Yourdriver.run with the name Nvidia gives it. Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill.

This why I have three versions of Ubuntu in separate partitions. I alway suspect the newest version to need some work to get going. Like forcing things to work.

Sorry, I'm still a bit of a noob here... what is the name that Nvidia gives it?
And this statement:
"Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill."
didn't make sense to me...
sorry, as I said, I'm still a bit new to all this; only been running Ubuntu for about a month.

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Sorry, I'm still a bit of a noob here... what is the name that Nvidia gives it?
And this statement:
"Also once you change to the directory that the driver is d/l'd to you can type out part of the name and hit TAB it will autofill."
didn't make sense to me...
sorry, as I said, I'm still a bit new to all this; only been running Ubuntu for about a month.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go here to download your driver. Pick either 32 or 64 bit linux. What ever version you are using.

This will all have to be done from the command line interface through tty (ctrl+alt+f2) press those three keys at login. To get out press alt+f7 this will bring you back to the GUI. I know you said you had problems with unity 2d. Try logging in to 2d then go to TTY log in again and try this. Just to see if that works.

unity --reset

cd is a command for changing directories. This might be a good time to google BASH manual or commands. There is the wget command also for downloading files from CLI.

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go here to download your driver. Pick either 32 or 64 bit linux. What ever version you are using.

This will all have to be done from the command line interface through tty (ctrl+alt+f2) press those three keys at login. To get out press alt+f7 this will bring you back to the GUI. I know you said you had problems with unity 2d. Try logging in to 2d then go to TTY log in again and try this. Just to see if that works.

unity --resetcd is a command for changing directories. This might be a good time to google BASH manual or commands. There is the wget command also for downloading files from CLI.

Okay, I went to Nvidia's website and the driver is 173, it seems. So this driver should work? And, in the event that it doesn't, what could go wrong?

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Okay, I went to Nvidia's website and the driver is 173, it seems. So this driver should work? And, in the event that it doesn't, what could go wrong?

Don't know what could go wrong. But you would have to uninstall it by doing the same commands as before except replace the last command with

sudo sh NVIDIA* --uninstallI don't know what you have on your pc that need to be backed-up but it may be a good time to do it. Worst case is you will have to reinstall ubuntu but maybe with a different windowing manager like KDE or such. But it is looking like you will need to install something other than unity if you want to go forward with 12.04

alphacrucis2
April 27th, 2012, 03:33 AM
The Nvidia driver problem only applies to certain cards. See this

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4ODc

If your card isn't one of those mentioned then any issue you are having with unity isn't likely to be an nvidia problem.

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 03:41 AM
The Nvidia driver problem only applies to certain cards. See this

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4ODc

If your card isn't one of those mentioned then any issue you are having with unity isn't likely to be an nvidia problem.

No, my card isn't any of those...

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 03:42 AM
But it is looking like you will need to install something other than unity if you want to go forward with 12.04

You mean something like Xubuntu? That doesn't use Unity, does it?

alphacrucis2
April 27th, 2012, 03:45 AM

You could also try logging in a unity 2d session if 3d isn't working.

NoNameWill
April 27th, 2012, 04:03 AM

Yes

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 04:28 AM
You could also try logging in a unity 2d session if 3d isn't working.
I've been running Unity 2D, because Unity 3D is completely inaccessible for me; when I try to log in all I get is a big white screen. I had the same issue with Ubuntu 11.10, only then a upgraded video driver fixed it. Not the case here; as I speculated earlier I believe, when I open Additional Drivers from Settings, it can't find any drivers...

alphacrucis2
April 27th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I've been running Unity 2D, because Unity 3D is completely inaccessible for me; when I try to log in all I get is a big white screen. I had the same issue with Ubuntu 11.10, only then a upgraded video driver fixed it. Not the case here; as I speculated earlier I believe, when I open Additional Drivers from Settings, it can't find any drivers...

What graphics card do you have?

Eirreann
April 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM
What graphics card do you have?

I've got an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200.

Sicadastra
April 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm having the same problem with the Unity bar too. I tried resetting it but to no avail. :(

MaxxABillion
April 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Can someone please report this bug!?!?

chowyunfat
April 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Same problem here. After it get "stuck", sidebar shows itself when I press "windows" key...

wwwin
April 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm having issue with the unity bar auto-hide feature. With 11.10 the auto-hide feature was enabled and worked fine. Now, with 12.04 if I turn on the auto-hide feature the unity bar disappears and does not return even when I move my mouse to the left. This occurs even when all windows are minimized and i's just on the desktop. The only way to show the unity bar is to turn off the auto-hide feature. This is a little irritating, any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issue. Also, with 11.10, if you open any program the bar would hide. The 12.04 if you don't auto hide, the bar stays there no matter what program you open so you are stuck with it, and if you auto hide feature, then it dssapears and can't get it to show by clicking on the left or whatever will not come back.

wwwin
April 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM

No matter how hard you push the mouse to the against the edge it does not work and wont bring it back.

wwwin
April 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
No matter how hard you push the mouse to the against the edge it does not work and wont bring it back.

I agree, even if you adjust sensitivity to the highest, if will not come but no matter how hard you push. It's a bug, and a very annoying one.

MaxxABillion
April 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Its obvious this is an issue. Can someone please report this bug and post back in this discussion when they have done so. I just did a pretty significant update on 12.04 but still have the same issue afterwards.

wwwin
April 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Well not only is this problem with the Unity bar is an issue. But the way the whole thing is configured is an issue, it is a lot harder to get to an application to run it. 11.10 was much better with the menus it had...this is not so good, to the point if it is not fixed, will have no show than to go back to 11.10

metamorphic_za
April 28th, 2012, 05:31 AM

I also had the exact same problem, and found it extremely frustrating!

Then I started playing around with the Launcher's Reveal Sensitivity. If I put the Reveal Sensitivity to High, it also didn't reveal for me.

But then I adjusted the Reveal Sensitivity to about 1 centimetre to the right of the default mark. And now revealing the Launcher works much better! :)

(I know this behaviour doesn't make sense, but, after trying different sensitivities, now it works!)

paul lothlorien
April 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I also experienced the lack of the Unity Bar Auto-hide feature, but on another forum discovered that the auto-hide feature has been intentionally disabled in 12.04.

Enabling the Unity Bar Auto-hide feature is a simple procedure:

Go to top right of desktop ‘Control Gear –> System Settings’
Select 'Appearance'
Click on 'Behavior' tab
At the upper right, click the button currently displaying 'OFF' & change to 'ON'

Unity Bar now auto-hides. Thanks to Liberian Geek where you will find a great how-to guide on this with screenshots at:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/automatically-hide-unity-launcher-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

A few clicks, and all is well with Unity! :P

whistlerspa
April 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I did what the last poster did buyt I feel that it takes up too much desktop space. So I'm now using Gnome 3 instead.

Eirreann
April 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I also experienced the lack of the Unity Bar Auto-hide feature, but on another forum discovered that the auto-hide feature has been intentionally disabled in 12.04.

Select 'Appearance'
Click on 'Behavior' tab
At the upper right, click the button currently displaying 'OFF' & change to 'ON'

Unity Bar now auto-hides. Thanks to Liberian Geek where you will find a great how-to guide on this with screenshots at:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/automatically-hide-unity-launcher-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

You obviously haven't read any of the posts in this thread...

NikTh
April 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
That is weird. Maybe something else is wrong here .. ? i am not sure.
Try to use xdiagnose and see if any errors occurred.
If you want to change something (for example : disable mesa drivers framebufer) you must run xdiagnose as root
sudo xdiagnosealso give the results of this command
/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

wwwin
April 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Select 'Appearance'
Click on 'Behavior' tab

No, that is not working. If you auto hide it, in won't come back at all. Have you actually read what this thread is about or have you actually tried it with 12.04?
NOT

wwwin
April 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM

A few clicks and all is well? You got to be kidding right?

MaxxABillion
April 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Why doesn't anyone report this issue. Canonical may not even be aware that this issue exist. I'm sure one of the moderators knows how.

wwwin
April 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Why doesn't anyone report this issue. Canonical may not even be aware that this issue exist. I'm sure one of the moderators knows how.

I will be happy to report it but don't know how...
Also, while still very annoying, you can bring the unity bar back by keys alt + f1, that brings the bar by itself, and if you hit the superkey (windows) then it brings the bar and the search also...
I am wondering if somebody knows how to configure a part of the screen to click to being same as "alt +f1" or the same as the superuser key? Like a macro for those keys but with the mouse not the keyboard.

MaxxABillion
April 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I will be happy to report it but don't know how...
Also, while still very annoying, you can bring the unity bar back by keys alt + f1, that brings the bar by itself, and if you hit the superkey (windows) then it brings the bar and the search also...
I am wondering if somebody knows how to configure a part of the screen to click to being same as "alt +f1" or the same as the superuser key? Like a macro for those keys but with the mouse not the keyboard.

Well, i'm running 12.04 in a VM on a macbook pro, so most of the keys you mention, i'm not sure will work, but i'll give it a try

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 02:08 AM
That is weird. Maybe something else is wrong here .. ? i am not sure.
Try to use xdiagnose and see if any errors occurred.
If you want to change something (for example : disable mesa drivers framebufer) you must run xdiagnose as root
sudo xdiagnosealso give the results of this command
/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

No errors came up with the first command, and here's the result to the second:

nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 30
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV34
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 8.0.2

Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes

BlinkinCat
April 29th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hi all,

Personally I have not had any issue with the "auto-hide" feature. Unity works perfectly for me. If anyone wishes to report a "bug", here is how -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes

Cheers - :)

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2012, 04:57 AM
No errors came up with the first command, and here's the result to the second:

nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV34
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 8.0.2

Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes

I'm no real expert, but it looks to me as if you're using the open source 'nouveau' video driver. Have you tried to use the nvidea driver found using 'additional drivers'?

chowyunfat
April 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/990639
last post from here (fix with CompizConfig Settings Manager) worked for me...

NikTh
April 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm no real expert, but it looks to me as if you're using the open source 'nouveau' video driver. Have you tried to use the nvidea driver found using 'additional drivers'?

@Eirreann Yes . You don't seem to use nvidia additional drivers . Why ? is there a problem ?

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
@Eirreann Yes . You don't seem to use nvidia additional drivers . Why ? is there a problem ?

*Sigh* Because, whenever I click on "Additional Drivers", it loads for a bit but when it shows up there are no drivers to select; it is completely empty.

NikTh
April 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM
*Sigh* Because, whenever I click on "Additional Drivers", it loads for a bit but when it shows up there are no drivers to select; it is completely empty.

Did you try to install driver via terminal ?

sudo apt-get install nvidia-currentAnd what is your card ?

lspci -nnk|grep -iA2 VGAI ask about your card because nvidia-drivers has problems lately with chipsets older than G80 .

wwwin
April 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
last post from here (fix with CompizConfig Settings Manager) worked for me...

Hi thanks for the post. I tried that it still it wont reveal on mine. What a pesky bug this is.

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I didn't file a bug because it was already there, but this bug is even in Quantal Quetzal, I can't believe that this bug slipped through the door of the final release!

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Did you try to install driver via terminal ?

sudo apt-get install nvidia-currentAnd what is your card ?

lspci -nnk|grep -iA2 VGAI ask about your card because nvidia-drivers has problems lately with chipsets older than G80 .

Here's the result of the second command:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 64M] [10de:0324] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:019c]
Kernel driver in use: nouveau

I'll try to install via the terminal in a bit and will post the results

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Okay, the drivers *kind of* worked... I'm able to access Ubuntu normal now; HOWEVER now I cannot increase the resolution more than 1024x768!!!! HELP!

How do I uninstall the driver? My desktop looks like crap with this resolution! I would rather stick with Unity 2D over this!!!

NikTh
April 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Okay, the drivers *kind of* worked... I'm able to access Ubuntu normal now; HOWEVER now I cannot increase the resolution more than 1024x768!!!! HELP!

How do I uninstall the driver? My desktop looks like crap with this resolution! I would rather stick with Unity 2D over this!!!

Before uninstall driver try
sudo nvidia-xconfig and reboot.
Also , did you tried to change resolution from nvidia-settings ? Click on Dash and write "nvidia" , open nvidia-xserver-settings and check it out.

If you want to remove driver then

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current and reboot .

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Before uninstall driver try
sudo nvidia-xconfig and reboot.
Also , did you tried to change resolution from nvidia-settings ? Click on Dash and write "nvidia" , open nvidia-xserver-settings and check it out.

If you want to remove driver then

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current and reboot .

I did the Nvidia xconfig thing, rebooted, and got this error message:

Could Not Apply the stored configuration monitors
none of the selected modes were compatible with the possible modes:
Trying modes for CRTC 72
CRTC 72: trying mode 800x600@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x480@60Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 320x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 800x600@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x480@60Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 320x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)

And now I'm stuck on the resolution 800x600, even worse!!!!
And when I opened Nvidia X Server Settings, I got another error message saying that I was not using an Nvidia X driver and there were no configurable options... I think I'll uninstall the driver.

NikTh
April 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I did the Nvidia xconfig thing, rebooted, and got this error message:

Could Not Apply the stored configuration monitors
none of the selected modes were compatible with the possible modes:
Trying modes for CRTC 72
CRTC 72: trying mode 800x600@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x480@60Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 320x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 0)
CRTC 72: trying mode 800x600@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x480@60Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 640x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)
CRTC 72: trying mode 320x400@0Hz with output at 1024x768@61Hz (pass 1)And now I'm stuck on the resolution 800x600, even worse!!!!
And when I opened Nvidia X Server Settings, I got another error message saying that I was not using an Nvidia X driver and there were no configurable options... I think I'll uninstall the driver.

Please give the output of

xrandr
and

apt-cache policy nvidia-current

signalhuckster
April 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM
On my emachines netbook the autohide features only works, if I hit the left margin from "far away" (at least 20 percent of the display width)or if I hit it two times near the left margin.

Eirreann
April 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Please give the output of

xrandrand

apt-cache policy nvidia-current

Sorry, I just uninstalled the driver. Everything is working great again. Maybe in a few weeks when I don't have to worry about having my computer for school I'll try again with that driver and we'll see if we can sort it out, but for now, I'll just use Xubuntu.

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Well this but is too annoying and who knows if they will fix it or give it priority. Not autohiding takes too much real estate...none of the solutions posted worked for me. So for now back to 11.10. Will check to see if fixed but it is too annoying to continue this way.

NikTh
April 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Well this but is too annoying and who knows if they will fix it or give it priority. Not autohiding takes too much real estate...none of the solutions posted worked for me. So for now back to 11.10. Will check to see if fixed but it is too annoying to continue this way.

To give priority You All must hit the " Affects me too" button on launchpad bug.
But where is the bug ? i didn't see it on this thread.

MrsUser
April 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Same problem here. Out of curiosity, I installed the Unity desktop today (I'm usually running Kubuntu 12.04). And the first thing I did is switch on the autohide feature of the launcher. However, the launcher simply didn't show up when I pushed my mouse pointer against the screen edge. In fact, I found out a weird behavior:

I have to wiggle my mouse pointer a little bit before moving it to the screen edge. And then the launcher shows up immediately. If I don't do that, it doesn't show unless I push the pointer really hard against the edge (which means I have to move the mouse and my wrist A LOT -- sucks!).

That strange shadow is also awful. At first I considered it to be a bug. Because I expect the launcher to show, not just a shadow. Who on this planet could intuitively assume that this shadow is meant to be a hint for pushing further??? Canonical developers must have been on meth when creating this piece of GUI garbage. Usability gone miserably wrong.

I had just switched from Windows 7 to Kubuntu, now wanted to try Unity (it's the 3rd time I gave it a chance). Oh boy, Canonical really puts me off. How do they manage to always mess up the most basic things?! Really, such thing as the launcher is absolutely crucial and essential. It should be THE most intuitive thing when using an OS.

I also experimented a bit showing it to friends who never used Ubuntu before. With autohide enabled, they are completely lost. None of my friends managed to get things done with Unity panel set to autohide. They were all confused, and just like me they thought that this shadow is a friggin bug.

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
To give priority You All must hit the " Affects me too" button on launchpad bug.

The bug is discussed in the first post and many that follow, and also in the post just after yours.

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Same problem here. Out of curiosity, I installed the Unity desktop today (I'm usually running Kubuntu 12.04). And the first thing I did is switch on the autohide feature of the launcher. However, the launcher simply didn't show up when I pushed my mouse pointer against the screen edge. In fact, I found out a weird behavior:

I have to wiggle my mouse pointer a little bit before moving it to the screen edge. And then the launcher shows up immediately. If I don't do that, it doesn't show unless I push the pointer really hard against the edge (which means I have to move the mouse and my wrist A LOT -- sucks!).

That strange shadow is also awful. At first I considered it to be a bug. Because I expect the launcher to show, not just a shadow. Who on this planet could intuitively assume that this shadow is meant to be a hint for pushing further??? Canonical developers must have been on meth when creating this piece of GUI garbage. Usability gone miserably wrong.

I had just switched from Windows 7 to Kubuntu, now wanted to try Unity (it's the 3rd time I gave it a chance). Oh boy, Canonical really puts me off. How do they manage to always mess up the most basic things?! Really, such thing as the launcher is absolutely crucial and essential. It should be THE most intuitive thing when using an OS.

I also experimented a bit showing it to friends who never used Ubuntu before. With autohide enabled, they are completely lost. None of my friends managed to get things done with Unity panel set to autohide. They were all confused, and just like me they thought that this shadow is a friggin bug.

I would agree that it would confused anyone noob or not. Can't work without unity bar and without autohide takes too much real estate.

BlinkinCat
April 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Answer #4 on this bug report gives a solution -

Cheers - :p

Edit - I would personally experiment with a setting of around 5 rather than 1.

amr-maro
April 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Please read this post to the end. I want to clear some confusion here.

1) The bug is NOT in the auto-hide feature, but it is in the "Reveal Sensitivity" slider; meaning, moving the slider all the the way to the right doesn't change the sensitivity much, or at all.

2) People complain about the launcher not showing when they push the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen: it is NOT about how hard you push, it about how far you push. To be able to reveal the launcher, you have to continuously push the cursor against the edge to reveal it, because as I mentioned before, the sensitivity is always set to low regardless the slider.

3) To fix the launcher reveal sensitivity:
a. Install then start "CompizConfig Settings Manager"
b. Navigate to "Desktop" > "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" > "Experimental" tab
c. Find the string "Launcher Reveal Pressure"
d. The default is 20, change it to 10 (or whatever you prefer)
e. You don't have to close CCSM to apply the changes. Keep changing the value till you are satisfied with the result, then close CCSM.

Please spread & share this post if you find it helpful :D

BlinkinCat
April 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM

1) The bug is NOT in the auto-hide feature, but it is in the "Reveal Sensitivity" slider; meaning, moving the slider all the the way to the right doesn't change the sensitivity much, or at all.

2) People complain about the launcher not showing when they push the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen: it is NOT about how hard you push, it about how far you push. To be able to reveal the launcher, you have to continuously push the cursor against the edge to reveal it, because as I mentioned before, the sensitivity is always set to low regardless the slider.

e. You don't have to close CCSM to apply the changes. Keep changing the value till you are satisfied with the result, then close CCSM.

Thanks amr-maro for providing the same solution as I did In my previous post - :)

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM

That does not work for me at all. It does not change anything and the autohide feature if enabled, make the launcher disappear without being able to get it back, no matter what sensitivity I had set it at.

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks amr-maro for providing the same solution as I did In my previous post - :)

That is not a solution for the problem for me and I believe a lot of other people. It does not change anything.

amr-maro
April 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Very sorry I didn't notice your post as I was just quickly scanning them. Sorry again :)

BlinkinCat
April 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Very sorry I didn't notice your post as I was just quickly scanning them. Sorry again :)

No need at all to apologize amr-maro - we're all friends here - ;)

BlinkinCat
April 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
That is not a solution for the problem for me and I believe a lot of other people. It does not change anything.

I believe you will find that the solution as spelt out by amr-maro will solve the problem for the majority or users - of course that is only my opinion.

amr-maro
April 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Are you sure it didn't work? It worked for me like a charm :) Have you tried to set the sensitivity to 1?

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I believe you will find that the solution as spelt out by amr-maro will solve the problem for the majority or users - of course that is only my opinion.

I didn't work for me. Do you have any data to form your opinion that it solved the problem for the majority of users or you are just guessing?

wwwin
April 30th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Are you sure it didn't work? It worked for me like a charm :) Have you tried to set the sensitivity to 1?

Yep, I tried all settings and still did not work

BlinkinCat
April 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I didn't work for me. Do you have any data to form your opinion that it solved the problem for the majority of users or you are just guessing?

Logical thought and observations of others it has helped (ie in the Bug fix comments) formulated my opinion - which is only an opinion and my words were that I thought this will be a solution not that it has solved the problem - still just an opinion - :p

NikTh
April 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
The bug is discussed in the first post and many that follow, and also in the post just after yours.

Answer #4 on this bug report gives a solution -

Edit - I would personally experiment with a setting of around 5 rather than 1.

This i meant . This bug. The link to Launchpad , not just the discussion here.
Thanks BlinkinCat
:)

MaxxABillion
May 1st, 2012, 02:21 AM
This i meant . This bug. The link to Launchpad , not just the discussion here.
Thanks BlinkinCat
:)

Man his recommendations doesn't fix my issue. Maybe it works for others but my unity bar still doesn't show even after changing the pressure sensitivity

BlinkinCat
May 1st, 2012, 02:50 AM
Man his recommendations doesn't fix my issue. Maybe it works for others but my unity bar still doesn't show even after changing the pressure sensitivity

Hi,
Are you sure you are adjusting "Launcher Reveal Pressure" ?
See post #81

BlinkinCat
May 1st, 2012, 03:09 AM
Hi,
Are you sure you are adjusting "Launcher Reveal Pressure" ?
See post #81

Compiz settings on my system are -

Launcher Reveal Pressure - 4

Launcher Edge Stop Overcome Pressure - 20

Hope that helps - :)

Sicadastra
May 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM
Sadly, the reveal pressure adjustment (changed it to 1) didn't also work for me. :(

BlinkinCat
May 1st, 2012, 04:22 AM
Sadly, the reveal pressure adjustment (changed it to 1) didn't also work for me. :(

I'm very sorry Sicadastra, other than making sure you have auto-hide selected in Compiz, there is nothing else I can add - :(

amr-maro
May 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM
OK, sorry it didn't work for you :(
Let's try one more thing:
1) Set "Restore Default Behaviors" from "Appearance -> Behavior"
2) Then go to CCSM and select "Autohide" from "Unity Plugin -> Behavior" and, as before, set the Reveal Pressure to 1.
Good luck :)

Sicadastra
May 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
@BlinkinCat - It's okay. I just hope the bug would be fixed soon.

@amr-maro - Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it still isn't working for me. I appreciate the help nonetheless.

MaxxABillion
May 1st, 2012, 11:34 AM
Yea, i did all the adjustments as well. Still nothing, even though its annoying, i'm getting used to the unity bar always sticking out. This sucks, but have to wait on the guys at Canonical. I just with there was some way I can revert back to 11.10. I had no problems then.

BlinkinCat
May 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hi all,
I suggest to those who are not helped by the suggestions in this thread that they sign on to Launchpad at the following site and register that the Bug affects you and add further comments if you wish -

All the best - :)

wwwin
May 3rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
I found somewhat of a temporary solution that will hide the launcher anytime time any program is maximized and will show the launch bar if the program is closed or minimized. It will not reveal again by pressing on the left of screen but will show if you minimized the program or close the program. In only works if you have Unity 2d. Here is how to do it:

1. Install Dconf
2. Go to in Dconf: com, canonical, unity 2d and click on launcher and change "hide mode" from 0 to 2.
That's is it. Do not play with reveal mode or you can have problems. This works but if you ever go into "change desktop background" or "appearance", then this setting will revert back to default which is 0 and you will have to go back to dconf and put to 2 again in laucher setting..
It is not perfect but for now is the only way for me or anybody that has the bug. They don't seem to interested in fixing it since it is still unassigned.

feistybird
May 8th, 2012, 03:03 AM

This is really helpful! thanks a lot!

ekz4
May 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I have the same issue in Unity 2d, but the ccsm trick doesn't work here...

RogerDavis
May 22nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Try moving the cursor to the left side, and then move it up and down next to the side. Works for me, but obviously not right...

LachlanH
June 5th, 2012, 04:56 AM
For the people still having this problem, are you using Synergy? I am, and I find that if that mouse is plugged directly into the system, the problem goes away.

This problem didn't exist in 11.10 with Synergy. Is there a bug for it? Or any plans to fix it?

Thanks,
Lachlan.

Rebelde
June 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
[deleted] (Sorry folks! I posted in a different thread and had to delete here.)

Rebelde
June 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I had the same problem of autohiding and nothing seemed to work. I also had another issue with icons not showing in the launchpad (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1994681) but surprisingly both of this ussues were resolved only with a restart!! I cannot really understand how a simply reboot was enough to solve my problem. Maybe this could work for some of you. Cheers!

Coalwater
June 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I haven't read all the thread pages, but here's what I found out,
This issue was bugging me in the beginning too, but I figured it out after reading that 'ramming the mouse' post, it's working fine it's just not explained correctly, it's not about 'ramming' the mouse to the left, I even think they handled this case when fixing the bug about showing launcher when not intending to,
To show the launcher without any problems and without getting mad, all you need to do is just move your mouse further to the left even after you reach the edge, the more you move the mouse to the left the more ubuntu will be sure that you want to show the launcher, the 'ramming' case will be considered just a fast hand movement that accidentally hit the edge, so it shows that faint shadow telling you that if you really want to show the launcher you need to move more to the left, then it will show right away,
Takes a bit to get used to I know, but i think a lil extra space on my laptop's screen is kinda worth it.

Hope this helps

Steveorevo
July 2nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
This simply doesn't work. What a disappointment!

Futant
July 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
I too have experienced this bug, only once so far, and a restart sorted it out for some reason. The bug has definately been reported, and there seem to be a few different versions.

bluelight0
July 2nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
hey guys i don't know if this has been mentioned but...

the bar can easily be made visible by moving the cursor up and down the left side quickly.

i thought this was a feature not a bug (there is a sensitivity bar or something in settings)

although i miss when it automatically appears when there are no windows covering the area =[

rosswmcgee
July 2nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
I found a work around that lets me do full screen here.. is there a better idea?

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/real-...-launcher.html

Works to my satisfaction.

FAJALOU
January 17th, 2013, 08:44 PM
So I know that this thread has been inactive for a while. . . But after my last update, I am having this problem again. I have tried the ccsm tweaks, and in Appearances>Behavior, to no avail. . . Has anyone found any other ways to get the bar to show up? I can still use the super key and alt+f2, but I miss the bar not showing up if I move my mouse to the far left (not even "rubbing" up and down the left side works!). I've posted to the bug, which also doesn't seem to have any progress, and no responses so far. Any thoughts? :D