PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can anyone suggest a good desktop calendar?

Old Newville
April 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Hello all,

I'm a freelance writer who is suddenly finding more work, and I expect the pace to pick up even more. This is a good thing, but I'm also finding that organization is becoming a challenge. I currently use the Lightning calendar in Thunderbird, but it is no longer sufficient for my needs.

Does anyone know of a calendar that runs from the desktop independently of a browser or email client? My wife and I both work, and it would be a big help to us if we could each view the others' appointments as they're being added.

We're looking for something that can:

1. Run on both Windows and Ubuntu, and

2. Sync with each other across the network.

If I'm not asking for too much, :) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've googled desktop calendars and there are simply too many available. I don't have time to experiment.

cmcanulty
April 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
google calendar?

Old Newville
April 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks.

Just one question -- can Google Calendar be run separately from a browser or email client? I have a Google account but have not really explored this.

Part of my organization problem is that practically anything I do requires a user name and password. I begin to think that "cloud computing" means that your head is lost in a cloud of jumbled names and passwords! We've got three index card boxes full of these.

I would love it if I didn't have to log into so many accounts. I usually have too many tabs open on Firefox and Thunderbird.

Isn't there a way to simplify all this on the desktop? I'm looking for something that is just as easy as a paper desk calendar.

Lemuriano
April 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Take a look at Osmo!

Regards.

PS. Sorry no sync.

LewisTM
April 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM
If you want to sync with someone else then your best bet is still the cloud. I don't know of any other way to share a calendar apart from enterprise solutions.

You could install the Google Calendar provider (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/provider-for-google-calendar/) for Lightning once your GCal account is setup. Works really well for me. Why prefer yet another application running beside the browser and email?

There is also a screenlet (apt://screenlets-pack-all) for Google Calendar that works quite well. Unfortunately it is only good for viewing events, not editing them.

Cheers!

LewisTM
April 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I stumbled upon Rainlendar (http://www.rainlendar.net) which is a cross-platform, feature rich, good looking desktop calendar.
The lite version doesn't allow calendar sharing. However, it stores its calendar files (in iCal .ics format) wherever you want. There is nothing preventing you from storing it on a shared network drive for common access. A Dropbox or Ubuntu One folder accessible by both you and your wife would also work.

Cheers!

ndefontenay
April 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hi.

google calendar is linked to your existing account.

If you want everyone to see your calendar, you will have to share your calendar with all them.

If someone in your company wants to book a meeting with you, they create it in their own calendar, they then add a guest and include you using your email address.

You will receive a notification on gmail and you will see the new appointment in your calendar and everyone else will see that you're busy at that time.

It's easy enough and works anywhere :)

If you have android or iphone, I believe there's an app which will even ring an alarm when you get close to the task/meeting.
It will show you the stuff that you have today.

RuthlessZ
April 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Why not just use Google calendar?

ammofreak
April 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hi):P I use Google Calender simply because it is a cross-platform app & I can sync with anyone.:)

drdos2006
April 26th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I would say you are looking for Groupware software.

Try
http://www.zimbra.com/products/
http://www.zarafa.com/

regards

Old Newville
May 10th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone. For the time being, Google calendar seems to be the easiest solution. I installed the Google widget in Thunderbird and uploaded the Lightning data. Now I can click on the widget and get the calendar to open in T-bird.

When I get a chance, I plan to check out some of the other suggestions here, too. Thanks to everyone who replied!