PDA

View Full Version : Trend Micro: Open source is more secure

greggh
June 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
It's nice to see recognized industry players stating the obvious...

http://news.com.com/Trend+Micro+Open+source+is+more+secure/2100-7355_3-6083490.html?tag=nefd.top

"Antivirus vendor Trend Micro is claiming that open-source software is inherently more secure than proprietary software such as Microsoft Windows."

"Open source is more secure. Period," Raimund Genes, chief technical officer for anti-malware at Trend, said. "More people control the code base; they can react immediately to vulnerabilities; and open source doesn't have so much of a problem with legacy code because of the number of distributions."

23meg
June 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Stating the obvious?

greggh
June 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Stating the obvious?

Yeah, I always thought it was kind of obvious that if you have code that a whole community can see, then you have a whole community involved in finding and fixing the bugs and exploits for that code. Maybe that shouldn't be obvious, but I always took that as a given.

23meg
June 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
From an antivirus vendor's perspective it should be quite obvious.

Engnome
June 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I wonder why they would say something like that:confused:

The only affect will be that their customers or potential customers go "aha, open source is more secure?" and if they convert Trend Micro will lose a potential customer.

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Many people seem to think that the number of security updates in Ubuntu is higher than Windows being a bad thing. It shows that the Ubuntu developers are more meticulous.

G Morgan
June 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Big security companies are starting to take interest in Linux. AVG already have a linux version out.

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
AVG already have a linux version out.
Bit of a waste of memory, mind you it could be so that it doesn't pass on viruses.

G Morgan
June 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't use it personally but I imagine most see an opportunity to make a buck with Linux. How many people complain that Norton doesn't work on Linux.

//edit - not Linux users but those 'considering' Linux//

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I don't use it personally but I imagine most see an opportunity to make a buck with Linux. How many people complain that Norton doesn't work on Linux.
People don't realise that it isn't required.

G Morgan
June 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM
People don't realise that it isn't required.

Hence potential profit. Besides in the long run AV maybe needed for Linux certainly less need than Windows but as usgae goes above 10% we will start to see more exploits.

andrecasteliano
June 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I agree. We probably will never have the same number of malwares, but some of them certainly.

RAV TUX
June 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Big security companies are starting to take interest in Linux. AVG already have a linux version out.
Bitdefender has had a linux version out for a while. They are even listed in the Distrowatch.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=defender

http://download.bitdefender.com/linux/free/bitdefender-console/en/