PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mouse, mouse pad & keyboard do you use?

RAV TUX
June 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I found that a mouse can be one of your most usefull tools and investing in a good mouse can mean a world of difference in your overall happiness when it comes to using your computer.

Equally as important is your mouse pad.

I have two desktops that both my wife and I actively use.

on both computers we use the Razer Diamondback.

1. one in Plasm Blue

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4963/hrddmndbckmsfstl10xv.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hrddmndbckmsfstl10xv.jpg)
http://www.razerzone.com/

2. one in Chameleon Green

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9558/razerdiamondback8lackiert7ua.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=razerdiamondback8lackiert7ua.jpg)

Here are the Technical Specifications

Optical engine powered by Razer Precision™
1600 DPI, twice that of conventional high performance sensors
Ultra large non-slip mouse buttons, tactile response design
Award winning Razer drivers featuring On-the-Fly sensitivity™ adjustment
Frame rate over 6400 frames per second (5.8 megapixels per second)
16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths
used by other conventional mice
Always-On™ Mode – the optical sensor never powers down -
provides instantaneous response at all times during gameplay
High speed motion detection, up to 40ips and 15g
Buttons – 7 physical buttons optimized for gaming response and
independently programmable
Non-slip side rails and new ergonomic ambidextrous design
Zero acoustic Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface
Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity
Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height
7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
Chameleon Green and Magma (red) translucent chassis options available
Comes with custom designed Razer Diamondback™ Lan-Pack for storage and transport.

We also use the same Mousepad

Razer eXactMat (Bundle Package includes specially-designed gel-filled wrist rest.)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6856/razerexactmat5uo.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=razerexactmat5uo.jpg)

Here is the Technical Specifications
The Razer eXactMat™ - Razer's first mousing surface!
Two-sided, longer-lasting Anodized Aluminum mousing surfaces
"SPEED" for high-sensitivity users
"CONTROL" side for low-sensitivity and professional design users
Over-sized and uniquely-shaped, 10.4" x 13" x 0.1" (265 x 330 mm x 2.5 mm)
Jet-black with Razer™ green logo
Non-slip, anti-reflective, abrasion resistant hard coat
Bundle Package includes specially-designed gel-filled wrist rest.

primarily we use the "CONTROL" side.

xtacocorex
June 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have a USB Logitech Trackman (trackball) attached to my laptop for when it's plugged in. I don't have a mousepad becuase I don't need one.

I do have a mini mouse for when I'm not at home and have the laptop on a desk, otherwise I play with the circular scrolling on the touchpad that it comes with.

briguyd
June 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
On my Ubuntu box, I use a Logitech M3x00 and the laptop keyboard (Toshiba Tecra 8100). The mousepad is a cheap one from Penguin Consulting (www.penguincomputing.com) and has a giant Tux penguin on the Microsoft campus and at the top says "Good evening Mr. Gates, I'll be your server today!".

On my desktop, I have a Logitech Mx500 with a ZBoard keyboard and a cheap Boston College mousepad. I did just buy a Razer Pro 1600dpi mouse from www.woot.com .

Edit: The Razer mouse just came. I think I am spoiled now.

Piggah
June 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I have a Logitech Marble Mouse, the trackball one. I don't have a mousepad, but I do have a little memory foam handrest I use sometimes.

I use to hate trackballs, but now I'm addicted to them. Definitely worth getting one if you have wrist pain. :P

hard_i
June 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/921/im000243copy1we.jpg
Logitech RX300.
and yes, I really use it with my left hand ;)

John.Michael.Kane
June 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I use an IBM scrollpoint, and a sun microsystems mousepad.

sherlock-holmes
June 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
phoebe optical mouse...on the table without a mousepad....for my laptop....

oscar
June 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
USB Logitech Pilot Optical Mouse (black and very plain) with no mouse pad.

CronoDekar
June 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Just the standard Dell/Logitech one that came with my computer. Wired, mecanical ball inside... about the only "perk" is the scroll wheel, if it can be counted as such. For my mousepad I've found the nicest one I've used on this computer is a free branded one that my ISP was giving away.

IYY
June 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I found that a mouse can be one of your most usefull tools and investing in a good mouse can mean a world of difference in your overall happiness when it comes to using your computer.

I disagree. I think that the mouse is a nice tool when just getting familiar with a system, but eventually you should switch to the keyboard for 97% of tasks (unless you do a lot of photoshop or CAD stuff, of course). This is why I don't like investing in a good mouse - I want my mouse to be uncomfortable, so that I switch to the keyboard faster. So, I usually just by the cheapest mouse around.

RAV TUX
June 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I disagree. I think that the mouse is a nice tool when just getting familiar with a system, but eventually you should switch to the keyboard for 97% of tasks (unless you do a lot of photoshop or CAD stuff, of course). This is why I don't like investing in a good mouse - I want my mouse to be uncomfortable, so that I switch to the keyboard faster. So, I usually just by the cheapest mouse around.

I do a lot of detail work on both PhotoShop and the Gimp. I need to have custom commands on a 7 button mouse.

Kindred
June 14th, 2006, 06:38 PM
USB Logitech Pilot Optical Mouse with no mouse pad.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm not a serious power user (yet), but I'm not fond of using my laptop's touchpad. On a recent trip to my local computer store, I noticed a very small (about 3" long) USB optical mouse with retractable cable - it's designed for laptop use and it's absolutely perfect! I'm not sure of the model number, but the logo on the back has a Greek sigma symbol and the text "Sum vision".

My mousepad is a gorgeous lenticular image of the TARDIS, which a friend sent me after visiting the Brighton Doctor Who exhibition last year.

Rhapsody
June 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
A Logitech MX1000 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=9043). Pretty much on a whim, I decided to splash out on one hell of a mouse. I'm still not sure about the whole 'lithium-ion battery never needs replacing' thing (What? Has Logitech found a way to bypass thermodynamics?) but it's managed to hold out so far. The only caveat is that Kubuntu doesn't seem to detect it properly. The 'Cruise Control' rocker sort of works (it scrolls on Firefox, though not as fast as I'd like, and weird things happen when I try to use it in Konqueror) the forward thumb control acts as a second right mouse button, while the rest of the thumb controls and the side-to-side wheel tilting don't work at all.

The mouse mat on the other hand is very old. Dates back to my first PC (circa 1996) and has a copyright date of 1994 on it. It's a bit damaged, some of the rubber on it is missing, and it clogs up regular mice (the main reason I'm using an optical mouse) but I still like it.

LMP900
June 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Just the standard ball mouse and mouse pad that came with my Dell.

I use the Mighty Mouse for my iMac.

Ubunted
June 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
MX510 and a basic MS optical, both right on my woodgrain desk. Works perfectly.

Hobitus
June 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I use Genius NetScroll Mini Traveler. Actually it's made for notebooks, but i use it with my PC anyway.
My mouse is unfortunately old and i'm going to buy new one. I don't prefer wireless mouse, because i have just bad experiences with such mice :S
My mouse pad is something very ordinary - i got it with computer, but it works fine :D

Parkotron
June 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM
A basic Logitech model with a scroll wheel and a rubber ball. No mousepad whatsoever.

I have a (most likely irrational) dislike of optical mice. I remeber the first time a saw one I thought it was kind of neat. The owner was very impressed that it would work properly on his pants, on his shirt, on his cat, etc. But when I sat down to use it on his nice wooden desk, it jumped all over the place. He informed me that I had to use a mousepad because optical mice don't like shiny desktops. I wasn't impressed.

There was also the time I was playing Jardinains (http://www.jardinains.com/) on my parents, computer. After reaching some ridiculously high level, I lost all my lives when the optical mouse decided to spaz out. I guess I've never forgiven optical mice since.

graigsmith
June 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM
logitech mx518 gaming mouse. with 3 DPI settings. basically you can make it more or less sensitive (faster or slower,) just by clicking buttons on the mouse.

briguyd
June 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
logitech mx518 gaming mouse. with 3 DPI settings. basically you can make it more or less sensitive (faster or slower,) just by clicking buttons on the mouse.
Yeah, that's cool. The Razer Pro mouse I just got has a thing where you can hold a button and scroll the mouse wheel and change the sensitivity on the fly. Good for either Photoshop or sniping in a FPS game. I love this mouse.

rado_london
June 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I have Microsoft 1020 notebook mouse. It is very sweet. I have it as a free gift with my HP laptop.

OffHand
June 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
the cheapest logitech I could find. works fine. my mouse pad is a cheap thing too with gel pad for the wrist. you don't wanna see a pic... no really you don't :D

beercz
June 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I use a Logitech Tiger Mouse (http://images.ldlc.com/photosldlc/00/00/42/79/LD0000427948_2.jpg) with no mouse pad.

Even works on the arm of my armchair whilst watching TV (world cup at the moment) with my laptop on my lap. :-) That's exactly what I am doing now. :-)

blackmh
June 14th, 2006, 11:46 PM
mx500 with teflon skatez + custom Icemat pad

opensourcerocks
June 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I use a microsoft wireless mouse.
Yes I know I am a traitor, but it was given as a gift.

drfalkor
June 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Logitech MX510 ( a little blue and black ),.. and a black surfacE mouse pad ! :KS

Talan6400
June 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Both boxes have IBM optical scroll mouse. Mouse pads = 1 New England Patriots, 1 Silicon Valley Group.

Wifes computer Microsoft track ball (her choice, I only have to provide tech support)

I used to have my Sun Microsystems, but my Wife stole it for her work computer

Compucore
June 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I'm using the Creative optical mouse lite for my Dell and my Aptiva machines here. Both with USB connections. ANd they are great for linux.

Compucore

grsing
June 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on my desktop (I know, it's M$, but it's my favorite mouse). Mousepad is a freebie from my school put on top of the included Dell one from an older computer (works fine for me; also have a cheapie gel wrist pad; so cheap it's actually duct taped together, but it works fine). On the laptop, usually just the pointing stick (I don't know how people can stand using the touchpad, it takes forever and is so inaccurate, at least for me).

achron
November 29th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0... after all, it's all about the fit, and small mice get lost in my hand... and I use a MouseRug which is a reproduction of a fine Turkish carpet, complete with the fringe at the ends. It works great, has great colors, and is actually interesting to look at.

Ubunted
November 29th, 2006, 04:36 AM
MX510, no pad, just my faux-woodgrain desk.

GameManK
November 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM
MX510, no pad.

For my laptop I have the little mouse that came with it (Asus) and I use without a pad, often on my knee.

At home I have an old ball mouse that I use on one of those foam sheets from AC Moore. Makes a great 30 cent mouse pad.

Christmas
November 29th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Now I have a Trust MI-2500X Optical (http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14178) with an old mousepad. If I had the money, I'd buy a Logitech MX510 or MX518, Logitech is the mouse manufacturer which I respect best because the high quality of their products.

mips
November 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
MX310, broke. After a few minutes I start getting eratic mouse behaviour, jumpy cursor & cycling through windows. Not a driver issue as it does this on different machines/os. Sad as i paid a lot of money for it.

Now using my small wireless laptop mouse from logitech.

Circus-Killer
November 29th, 2006, 08:27 AM
the cheapest (+-R50) optical mouse i can find and well, you ever see those mousepads that have that gel cushion for your wrist? well, one of those.

adam.tropics
November 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
MX1000, Logitech...It was my birthday gift to me...from me! Nice, and reassuringly weighty. Battery life claims however haven't quite lived up to the suggested level, but still, very happy with it. No mousepad.

public_void
November 29th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I use a Belkin RF Wireless Optical mouse. My mouse mat has a piece of paper wrapped round it because its too reflective causing my mouse to jump around. Best mouse mat ever.

daynah
November 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Amen! Keyboards are vastly more important. You should be able to do everything with a keyboard and... -cough- tab though a webpage correctly. (my school hasn't learned that yet... for some reason the tabs make the page look epileptic).

On the other hand... While I used windows, I watched a lot of tv shows on my computer, so I use the Logitech MediaPlay Mouse. It's got all these play, fast forward buttons and stuff... so that when I curl up on my couch and have my computer pushing video onto my tv, I have a remote control!

...too bad I the ati drivers wont do that anymore. And too bad I'm too dumb to configure the mouse in ubuntu. Ah, cest la vie. At least it has a very long range?

Rhubarb
November 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Huzzah!! I can claim to own the highest dpi mouse in this thread so far:
Logitech G5 Laser gaming mouse. 2000dpi
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/IE/EN,CRID=2464,CONTENTID=10715
It even comes with a weight cartridge so you can adjust the weight / centre of gravity. It also has an on the fly adjustable dpi buttons too.

Great for playing the Sauerbraten FPS.
And no mouse pad.

aidanr
November 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
i was gonna get the G5 but a few people told me they had problems with the wheel after a while and also that the wheel was too senstive, so i got the mx518 instead as an upgrade from the mx510, it's a great mouse, a good bit smoother than the 510, my mousepad is a alienware funcpad i picked up in some competition, had an icemat before but it was too much maintenence and too noisey
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4922/dscf3308bi8.png (http://imageshack.us)

iPower
November 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
A4 tech with 2 scroll wheels and 3 buttons

works better than the dell mouse i used before

a free mouse pad from cloetta

holylucifer
November 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Logitech wireless keyboard and Mouse (with a ball in it not laser) , both work.

dbbolton
November 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
let's just say that you had a wireless usb mouse and LET'S JUST SAY that you bumped the receiver while it was plugged in and jolly well ruined it. maybe you have, since then, adjusted to the touchpad but would really like to be able to use that wireless mouse again.

could you replace the receiver, or do you just have a cozy paperweight?

Lexam
November 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM
LOL I use a wireless usb Microsoft mouse! I bought it before I switched to Linux and it works so I'm keeping it. :)

Josh1
November 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM
$10 Microsoft USB mouse bought 5 years ago? With a piece of paper stuck to the desk. :)

viper
November 29th, 2006, 04:07 PM
MS optical on the desktop, on the laptop no mouse....

prizrak
November 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
A touchpad is all you need :)

~LoKe
November 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Logitech MX518.
No mouse pad.

mips
November 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
MX1000, Logitech...It was my birthday gift to me...from me! Nice, and reassuringly weighty. Battery life claims however haven't quite lived up to the suggested level, but still, very happy with it. No mousepad.

Word of advice. Go buy some rechargable AA & AAA batteries + charger. These work in mouse, a lot of remotes & my camera. Will save yourself a fortune in batteries.

~LoKe
November 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Word of advice. Go buy some rechargable AA & AAA batteries + charger. These work in mouse, a lot of remotes & my camera. Will save yourself a fortune in batteries.

I don't really understand the point of cordless mice. They cost more than regular mice, they die randomly, batteries + charger costs money, and you've still got the charging dock with a wire attached to it. Am I missing the point, or is it not worth it just to have a 6 inch section of wire off your desk?

hoagie
November 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I bought my Logitech Mx Revolution last month. I found expensive but then I got impressed by it's performance and forgot all about the price!
For a mouse pad I use something with a nice Ferrari sports car on it.
PS: Does anyone know if theres a way to get advantage of it's extra buttons and the second scrol bar? In windows you can do it with the drivers but in Ubuntu?

John.Michael.Kane
November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Moved over from an IBM scroll point mouse to a Logitech LX7

Works for regular use no back/forward/Tilt Wheel funtions

mips
November 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I don't really understand the point of cordless mice. They cost more than regular mice, they die randomly, batteries + charger costs money, and you've still got the charging dock with a wire attached to it. Am I missing the point, or is it not worth it just to have a 6 inch section of wire off your desk?

Batteries and charger are not that expensive at all. Not all have charging docks.

Yes, it is worth it imho. You have much freer motion without a cord. Might not sound like much until you've used one for a while.

futz
November 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I bought my Logitech Mx Revolution last month.
I just got an MX Revolution for my main Ubuntu box. Wonderful mouse! I love it!

For all the other machines here I use MX-510's. Best mouse Logitech ever made IMHO (until the MX Revolution came along).

No mouse pads unless the desk is something an optical mouse can't track on. EDIT: Oh ya, I have a giant 16"x11" Destrukt Gaming Mat on my Windows gaming rig that is really really nice.

PS: Does anyone know if theres a way to get advantage of it's extra buttons and the second scrol bar? In windows you can do it with the drivers but in Ubuntu?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=277388&highlight=mx+revolution

Also, google for "mx logitech linux" without the quotes. You'll get a bunch of potentially useful links.

I just used my MX-510 setup for now. It has back/forward thumb buttons and the wheel working correctly, so I'm not panicked about getting the other stuff working yet. Haven't got the search button, window switcher rocker or side-tilt working yet.

For only the MX-510 functionality, here's the pertinent part of my xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
Option "Resolution" "800"
EndSection

kuja
November 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I've got mine attached. I originally thought about getting a Razor, but I just couldn't see myself spending $80 on a mouse. (even though I spent that on my keyboard ...)

I got a significantly cheaper $20 logitech optical mouse, along with a fairly nice mousepad... think it was called the "Steelpad 5L" or similar.

cajunaggie
December 21st, 2006, 05:34 PM
I disagree. I think that the mouse is a nice tool when just getting familiar with a system, but eventually you should switch to the keyboard for 97% of tasks
Call me crazy, but I don't see why I should use the keyboard so much when a mouse works just as well. Granted, terminal/command lines can be faster in certain situations, but I still fail to see why you place such a heavy emphasis on keyboard use, aside from being able to say that you barely ever use a mouse.

RAV TUX
January 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Equally as important is your mouse pad.

I have two desktops that both my wife and I actively use.

on both computers we use the Razer Diamondback.

1. one in Plasm Blue

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4963/hrddmndbckmsfstl10xv.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hrddmndbckmsfstl10xv.jpg)

2. one in Chameleon Green

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9558/razerdiamondback8lackiert7ua.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=razerdiamondback8lackiert7ua.jpg)

Here are the Technical Specifications

Optical engine powered by Razer Precision™
1600 DPI, twice that of conventional high performance sensors
Ultra large non-slip mouse buttons, tactile response design
Award winning Razer drivers featuring On-the-Fly sensitivity™ adjustment
Frame rate over 6400 frames per second (5.8 megapixels per second)
16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths
used by other conventional mice
Always-On™ Mode – the optical sensor never powers down -
provides instantaneous response at all times during gameplay
High speed motion detection, up to 40ips and 15g
Buttons – 7 physical buttons optimized for gaming response and
independently programmable
Non-slip side rails and new ergonomic ambidextrous design
Zero acoustic Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface
Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity
Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height
7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
Chameleon Green and Magma (red) translucent chassis options available
Comes with custom designed Razer Diamondback™ Lan-Pack for storage and transport.

We also use the same Mousepad

Razer eXactMat (Bundle Package includes specially-designed gel-filled wrist rest.)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6856/razerexactmat5uo.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=razerexactmat5uo.jpg)

Here is the Technical Specifications
The Razer eXactMat™ - Razer's first mousing surface!
Two-sided, longer-lasting Anodized Aluminum mousing surfaces
"SPEED" for high-sensitivity users
"CONTROL" side for low-sensitivity and professional design users
Over-sized and uniquely-shaped, 10.4" x 13" x 0.1" (265 x 330 mm x 2.5 mm)
Jet-black with Razer™ green logo
Non-slip, anti-reflective, abrasion resistant hard coat
Bundle Package includes specially-designed gel-filled wrist rest.

primarily we use the "CONTROL" side.
actually using the Razer Copperhead now...looking at the Razer Tarantula keyboard

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Interesting post. I've been surprised I haven't seen more like them. I've fallen in love with the Microsoft 6000 (Notebook Mouse) (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=048). I take it everywhere. I use it at work, at home - everywhere. I use a "grocery" brand Fellowes Gel mousepad. And, though I own a half dozen more expensive keyboards, I've settled on the Kensington SlimType (http://us.kensington.com/html/5463.html). It isn't pretty at all, but it's downright comfy to use.

RandomJoe
January 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Eeeww... Mice are evil! ;)

Actually, I do have a few Dell opticals laying around - they are great for a (relatively) compact fit in the computer bag. And they seem to work on almost any surface (no mouse pads here) although I've found two tables in my travels they wouldn't do anything on - had to stick a piece of paper under it to make it work.

But at home, I have a small army of trackballs. I love the things! Most of them are Logitech Marble Mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2150,CONTENTID=5003) models (not sure why they used "Mouse" on the name!) although I have a few older models in varying shapes/sizes. (But NO "thumb balls" - my fingertips are far better at fine control than my thumb!)

I can't stand having to move my hand all over, repeatedly lift the mouse to get the pointer farther over (with three screens in landscape, that's a LONG way)... Or - heaven forbid - be playing a FPS game. With the trackball, if I want to spin around and face the other way, I just spin the ball, placing a finger on it when I'm where I want to be! :D

SunnyRabbiera
January 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I am still using my HP standard keyboard and optical mouse, no mousepad as my optical mouse works very well on any surface.
I have a backup mouse and keyboard, I have a Logitech Click Optical Mouse mouse and a Elite Keyboard... I had them for a while before I purchased my HP computer that came with an optical mouse and keyboard so I put the logitech's for backup as they were getting pretty beat up

Magnes
January 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I use WP-35 A4-Tech optical mouse with 2 wheels and 2 additional buttons (hard to configure on linux, but works very fine) and very cheap tracer keyboard.

shining
January 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I still use mouse a lot, but a cheap mouse is just fine for common tasks. The only thing I needed a better mouse for is playing fps.
So I find that using a razor for a desktop is pretty funny (stupid).

YourFriendlyGopher
January 30th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I have a MS Digital Pro keyboard and a basic MS optical mouse. As for the pad I have an old ALLSOP mouse pad that I've had since my first computer (p1 233mhz) which we got back in '98 :D. It's still nice and smooth to work with though.

darkhatter
January 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I use a Logitech mouse, and no mouse pad

xhaan
January 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I have plastic ones.
The keyboard is black and the mouse is silver and black.
And they're plastic. With electronics inside.

FurryNemesis
January 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM
A Logitech MX900 (Bluetooth) and my laptop's built-in trackpad. Thing is, I constantly switch between the two without thinking. Once I'm in an app (e.g. Openoffice) and typing I use the trackpad, when I quit and Beryl around to another window to do something else or to watch movies from a distance I use the mouse. I only realised when I thought about how I use my mouse. Strange, no?

foxy123
June 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Now I have a Trust MI-2500X Optical (http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14178) with an old mousepad. If I had the money, I'd buy a Logitech MX510 or MX518, Logitech is the mouse manufacturer which I respect best because the high quality of their products.

I've just bought this mouse from Amazon and so far am quite disappointed. It jumps sometimes from place to place and its responsiveness is quite weird.

hard_i
June 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Logitech mx310 mouse and Logitech UltraX keyboard

Sunflower1970
June 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Both desktops have Microsoft wireless natural keyboards and 5-button wireless optical mice.

strabes
June 20th, 2007, 08:19 PM
My mouse is a generic MIcrosoft wheel mouse optical (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=008). My mousepad is a XTracPads Pro (http://www.xtracpads.com/). I'm not a gamer, I just wanted a bigger mousepad than the one I was using previously. My keyboard is a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043). I love it but I had to recompile my kernel to get some of the extra buttons to work. I would have gotten a wireless one but I read several places that they miss keystrokes when typing >70 wpm and I type 90-100 so that wasn't an option. I also didn't want to mess with bluetooth on kubuntu because I've seen many threads about people having problems with their bluetooth keyboards.

Fenryr
June 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
I use laptops almost exclusively, and have worn out more trackballs than I care to remember...If there were ONE hardware improvement I would demand of the computer industry, it would be to replace the slow, clunky touchpads, keyboard nipples, and other lame attempts at integrated pointing devices by laptop manufacturers. They suck, and as far as I can see, there is no way to make them NOT suck.

I currently use a 4 button Logitech MarbleMouse, and have a couple spares in the closet somewhere...Just in case my USUAL 'Seal of Approval' (read: 'Kiss of Death') causes LogiTech to quit making them...