View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is this a DNS related problem?
April 24th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I run many shopping sites on my home server setup. I noticed that load times are hugely different between domains with regard to searches. This was and is so noticeable I decided to try an experiment. I copied the slow domains contents to the fast domain just to see if the fast domain would run the same data any quicker. It ran it a hell of a lot faster with search times remarkably quicker. The only difference between the domains is the name. One domain has a dash in it and the other doesn't. The slow one is the one with the dash. This appears to be true with all my domains. Last thing I want to do is buy a load of new domains so I need to find out what the problem is. As far as I can figure it must be something to do with dns? What can I do about this?
April 24th, 2012, 01:11 AM
You might like to mention which release you are using ... ;)
April 24th, 2012, 01:13 AM
What do you mean by 'searches'? Are you referring to nslookups? Are the servers using different DNS?
(nice nickname BTW).
April 24th, 2012, 02:04 AM
This sure was an odd problem.
I decided to buy another domain without the dash in it - the same domain name minus the dash. No joy and the site was as slow as ever. Nothing any different between the slow domain and fast domain - except - the database name had a dash in it. I created a new database for the slow domain without any dashes and the site is transformed. The site was so slow before it wasn't worth keeping it going as searches were taking forever, now though they are fast. Considering there are nearly 40,000 products on there I am very happy. Also all the the other shopping domains suffering from the same can be alterted easily too without any extra expense.
If you look at the footer you will see how many of these sites I have running now.
Very happy :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.