PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant set resolution the same on both monitors

tubbz187
April 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hi im a new Ubuntu user,
I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 64 Bit and cannot set my monitors to the same resolution.
My pc specs are:
Motherboard: Asus p5k se
Processor: Intel Pentium dual CPU E2200
Ram: 7 Gb ddr2 800
GPU: nvidia geforce 9800gt
Monitors: Acer AL1719

I am completely new to Ubuntu so any help will be really appreciated if you need any more information i will try my best to provide it.
Many thanks

wolfen69
April 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
Did you install the nvidia drivers? You will find them by hitting the windows key and typing additional drivers.

tubbz187
April 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
hi i have put the drivers on there, i have dual screens running but they are at different resolutions as it wont let me set them to the same, one does comes up as CRT 0 but the other comes up with the name and model.
Its the one that has no name and model i can not set to the right resolution

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
if both screens support the resolution you want go into nvidia-settings

gksu nvidia-settingsX Server Display Configuration
If and only if they support the same resolution set it to use twin view otherwise you will need to use separate x screens and you cant drag windows between screen
once you get it set click "Save to X Configuration File"

if you still cant set the screen resolution post the output of this after you use the "Save to X Configuration File" button (and please use code tags)

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edit bodhi.zazen - fixed minor spelling

tubbz187
April 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Am i right in thinking that i put what is in the boxes into to terminal if so the first one comes up with no command, the second gave me this

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 280.13 (buildd@allspice) Thu Aug 11 20:54:45 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: builtin, VertRefresh source: builtin
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "CRT-0"
HorizSync 28.0 - 55.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9800 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1152x864 +1280+80, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection

Sorry to be a pain but Ubuntu is completely new to me

audiomick
April 24th, 2012, 12:38 AM

gkus nvidia-settings

this is wrong.
If anything, it should be

gksudo nvidia-settings

however, since about 10.04, you can start nvidia-settings out of the menu and save the xorg-config file without a problem.

I haven't looked at it in 11.10, but I imagine, if the drivers are installed, that you can start it by typing

nvidia-settings
in the search box in the dash.

Just to be sure: can both monitors run the same resolution without a problem? I have two the same now, but I run two different monitors at each their own optimal resolution for a long time. I think that is better than running one at a resolution that it doesn't like.

edit: that xorg-config file looks ok to me, if it is the case that the monitor that comes up as CRT-0 is not capable of the 1280x1024 resolution.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM
if both monitors are able to do 1280 x 1024 resolution change this line

Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1152x864 +1280+80, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +0+0"to this line

Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +1280+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +0+0"in xorg.conf
gksudo /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then logout and in

edit:
i suggest you turn Xinerama off if you want decent video

audiomick
April 24th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I believe the above is correct for the metamodes.

I believe

Option "Xinerama" "0"

in the "ServerLayout" section means that Xinerama is off. "TwinView" is the nVidia proprietary equivalent, and I don't think the nVidia-settings utility turns Xinerama on.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 24th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I believe the above is correct for the metamodes.

I believe

Option "Xinerama" "0"in the "ServerLayout" section means that Xinerama is off. "TwinView" is the nVidia proprietary equivalent, and I don't think the nVidia-settings utility turns Xinerama on.
i know it shows the option when using separate X displays not sure about twinview

audiomick
April 24th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Don't quite know what you mean, but...

Twin view does what Xinerama does, i.e. spread one screen over two monitors. It is the nVidia proprietary version on the open source Xinerama function. As far as I know, you can't have them both turned on at once.

I have been using TwinView for about the last 5 years, and have had no trouble at all with video quality.

Here are some links
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama
http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_twinview.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TwinView

tubbz187
April 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hi

if both monitors are able to do 1280 x 1024 resolution change this line

Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1152x864 +1280+80, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +0+0"to this line

Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +1280+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +0+0"in xorg.conf
then logout and in

edit:
i suggest you turn Xinerama off if you want decent video

But when i try to do this using

I just get this come up

(gksudo:2501): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap"Am i doing some thing wrong here, I know for a fact that both my monitors can support 1280 x 1024 as i have had them running that together on xp/7 for over a year with no problems.
Thanks

bodhi.zazen
April 24th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Did you install the nvidia drivers? You will find them by hitting the windows key and typing additional drivers.

You do not need the nvidia driver, you can do dual monitors with the open source driver, nouveau.

That is not true either. You can use monitors with different resolutions with either the nouveau or nvidia driver.

to configure your monitor with the nouveau driver, use xrandr

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/use-xrandr-to-set-a-screen-resolution/

lxrandr is a great graphical tool

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXRandR

gksu nvidia-settings

This command will work only if you are running the nvidia driver. You do not need to run it as root.

nvidia-setings will do.

You only need to run it as root if you wish to save the settings system wide.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Although you can manually edit xorg.conf, the graphical tool is easier.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Don't quite know what you mean, but...

Twin view does what Xinerama does, i.e. spread one screen over two monitors. It is the nVidia proprietary version on the open source Xinerama function. As far as I know, you can't have them both turned on at once.

I have been using TwinView for about the last 5 years, and have had no trouble at all with video quality.

Here are some links
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama
http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_twinview.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TwinView
i was saying dont use Xinerama for dual monitor on a nvidia chip it results in very low frame rates (at least in my experience)

audiomick
April 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
i was saying dont use Xinerama for dual monitor on a nvidia chip it results in very low frame rates (at least in my experience)

Ok. Thanks for the info. Seems there is indeed a good reason to use the proprietary drivers.

tubbz187
April 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi all not to sure how i got it working but have managed to get both monitors onto the same resolution.
Thanks to all that helped out :D