PDA

View Full Version : why ubuntu is going to wrong directon?

linuxusersince2008
April 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
why is ubuntu going to the mobile sector i really find stupid that ubuntu is ignoring it's users, i read alot of blogs and the funny thing is you can't say nothing negative about ubuntu and the most comman response is
if you don't like ubuntu then go somewhere else. WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! i still like gnome 2 and i know there's lubuntu, xubuntu and kubuntu but gnome 2 what i really enjoy using. unity is just awful it's buggy and slow ubuntu 8.04 is way faster then 11.10 and i found out you can still get the last updates for it and few programs still support it. i'm 25 i like rock n roll i still use audio cassette's, vcr's and i like old car's and i'm happy. i don't get way i have to relearn the way i use my computer it should be my choice? well once i get my new computer built i will use ubuntu 8.04, i would use 10.04 but it's not working for me. lubuntu is o.k too but for some reason chromium keeps crashing on me, there new version that is. this is just my opinion and i have no intent of upsetting anyone thanks again :)

OLD SKOOL RULEZ:guitar: :lolflag:

nothingspecial
April 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

dino99
April 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
if you refuse to move forward, then you will die ](*,)

IWantFroyo
April 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Most of the people I know (including myself) rather like Unity. Its original Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition was nearly unusable, but it has since grown into a DE Ubuntu can be proud of.

What I find is that the people who don't like Unity are a minority, just a very loud one. Poke around the screenshot thread. Many of the pictures have Unity in them.
Also, many of the Unity articles you refer to are old 11.04-related ones.

You can still do whatever you want with your computer, but if you want an old version of something, you'll have to dig it up yourself or use a PPA. Not many people actually support holding multiple versions of one thing at once, especially if it is a large program.

As for your chromium-browser crashes, have you posted a support thread on it?

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
linuxusersince2008, there's nothing new in what you have to say hence the move of your post to Recurring Discussions. :(

Paqman
April 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM

And if you do move forward, you still die.

meatball
April 23rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
I too didn't like Unity so I switched over KDE with 11.10 and only wished I'd done it sooner.

KiwiNZ
April 23rd, 2012, 12:54 AM
why is ubuntu going to the mobile sector i really find stupid that ubuntu is ignoring it's users, i read alot of blogs and the funny thing is you can't say nothing negative about ubuntu and the most comman response is
if you don't like ubuntu then go somewhere else. WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! i still like gnome 2 and i know there's lubuntu, xubuntu and kubuntu but gnome 2 what i really enjoy using. unity is just awful it's buggy and slow ubuntu 8.04 is way faster then 11.10 and i found out you can still get the last updates for it and few programs still support it. i'm 25 i like rock n roll i still use audio cassette's, vcr's and i like old car's and i'm happy. i don't get way i have to relearn the way i use my computer it should be my choice? well once i get my new computer built i will use ubuntu 8.04, i would use 10.04 but it's not working for me. lubuntu is o.k too but for some reason chromium keeps crashing on me, there new version that is. this is just my opinion and i have no intent of upsetting anyone thanks again :)

OLD SKOOL RULEZ:guitar: :lolflag:

Not going in your direction does not make it going in the wrong direction.

GameX2
April 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM
I discovered Linux with Ubuntu 11.04, and since it is installed on a low-SPECs computer, I never saw Unity, and became used to GNOME2. When I heard Unity would be definitely used in 11.10, I was disguted to loose that interface.

But since I wanted to install Ubuntu on my laptop (I did it. Perfect!), I read that 11.10 was more stable and better than 11.04 (on my laptop). So I made the jump to Unity, and after discovering it a bit, it's not so bad, seriously.

True, some options are missing. True, it's different, but there still is a small customization possible, now my dock is a the bottom.
And I have to admit that Unity was made for productivity, it really is quicker to launch an application (But harder to see a list of all softwares installed).

(I find that Windows 8 with the METRO interface is far more worst than Unity (tried it in a VM). Just an opinion.)

tmaranets
April 23rd, 2012, 01:39 AM
I think Unity is ok, but I perfer Gnome. There will come a time when you will want to switch from Heron(8.04) to a new and more fast Ubuntu version. Use 11.10.

MisterGaribaldi
April 23rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
@Linuxusersince2008:

First off, what do you have against variety and choice?

I mean, as someone who also doesn't care for for Gnome 3's present direction, or for Unity either, I can empathize up to a point, but you make it sound like change is inherently a bad thing, when it really isn't.

And what do you have against Canonical deciding to pursue another market? Competition and choice are always a good thing. Right now, the only two players of significance in the smartphone space are Apple and Google. Canonical entering the market would likely be a good thing, given that they're introducing a platform that already has some inherent degree of support, and it's also open-source. What's bad about that?

Lastly, you're 25 and you still write long, run-on sentences and can't make use of proper capitalization and punctuation either? Do you have any idea how hard it was to try and read what you wrote?

Peace.

zombifier25
April 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ubuntu is not going the wrong direction. It's going a different direction. At least be grateful that the changes Unity brought is not as drastic as GNOME 3 and Windows 8 (and no, I don't hate GNOME 3 and Windows 8)
I can't imagine how many hardcore CLI computer users are angry at the introduction of GUI, since the GUI merely dumbs down the desktop for newbies, while old school users lose the power of the CLI (This might be an overstatement, so feel free to flame me to death)

goldshirt9
April 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
love or hate Unity, it is here to stay.
Besides even with Ubuntu you have the Gnome / Kde / Mate / xfce desktop you can play around with :p
All down to the individuals taste.
Although at the moment i run KDE i dont mind Unity at all.As each release moves on then it becomes more "hackable" with mods and the like.
Its free, dont gripe, use another distro :lolflag:

rg4w
April 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
if you don't like ubuntu then go somewhere else. WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! i still like gnome 2 and i know there's lubuntu, xubuntu and kubuntu but gnome 2 what i really enjoy using.
Gnome 2 was a project of Gnome.org, and it was those project leaders that decided to kill it, not Canonical.

What Canonical did was simply look at the direction of Gnome Shell in terms of both its design and timeline, and decided to make an alternative to it.

This is the beauty of the Linux world: with more than a hundred distros to choose from and countless combinations of DEs an other components within them, everyone can get exactly what they want.

To require that Canonical assemble a system specific to your tastes would be as inappropriate is if they were forbidding you from choosing anything else.

Fortunately, neither is happening: if you like Ubuntu you can use Ubuntu, if you like Unity on Ubuntu it's preinstalled, and if you prefer Gnome Classic you can just choose it at startup. And if you prefer absolutely anything else in the entire universe, it's Linux - you can probably have it.

Use what you enjoy.

wolfen69
April 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
unity is just awful it's buggy and slow

I, and many others like it. And complaining here won't accomplish anything, as the developers do not hang out here. Use what works for you and move on. Btw, there is a classic gnome session available in 12.04, what is the problem?

shad0w_walker
April 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Just to throw my own bit in. If you want something stable and slow to change, install Debian. That'll stay the same for you for a very long while and isn't going to force you into any changes.

whatthefunk
April 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM

Unity, in my opinion, is a step backwards. It has fewer options than other DEs and I find it more complicated and less organized.

iponeverything
April 23rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
you make it sound like change is inherently a bad thing, when it really isn't.

This distils the OP's entire argument.

Change is not good or bad, it just is. No thing stays the same and the natural inclination of things tend toward disarray - significant energy input is required just to maintain order and not even progress.

It easily observable in relationships or in just keeping my house clean.

Change is the only constant. Embrace this and grow or ignore it.

BTW -- I am proud of myself for resisting the urge to bash "Unity" -

SemiExpert
April 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Unity is a very good solution for a modern PC. If you have a quick multicore processor, huge amounts of RAM and a 16:9 display, Unity is probably a better solution than the Gnome 2.x of old. Unity makes the best use of a widescreen display. Now if you have an ancient single core processor, limited RAM and narrow 4:3 display, two-panel Classic Gnome might make more sense.

growingneeds
April 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
GNOME 2 is dead. Well, it will be eventually. So, all existing GNOME 2 users are forced to either embrace Ubuntu's Unity (which to me seems to be designed for tablets), or get some loving from GNOME 3's GNOME Shell.

Those 2 options are NOT choice. To re-iterate, GNOME 2 has been terminated. So what options are there left for the GNOME 2 user? My bet is on the MATE Desktop Environment and Cinnamon. Both of these projects are well presented on Linux Mint and LMDE. If you need GNOME 2 badly like I do, research on where you can get MATE or Cinnamon. Very likely, your search will lead you to "LMDE 201204 RC".

iponeverything
April 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Unity is a very good solution for a modern PC.

It is just a buggy PITA. Even without the bugs, merging the applications with the desktop - is based the incorrect assumption than an "intelligent" desktop is actually good for the end user.

I don't think is. It is very wise step though attempting to make Ubuntu profitable. It is a necessary step to "cloud" integration. Fine, I don't have problem with Ubuntu making a profit - and in the future the healthier Ubuntu is as disto the better it will serve as a base for mint and other derivative distributions..

Andrew_P
April 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
i don't get way i have to relearn the way i use my computer it should be my choice? well once i get my new computer built i will use ubuntu 8.04, i would use 10.04 but it's not working for me. lubuntu is o.k too but for some reason chromium keeps crashing on me, there new version that is.

The nice thing about Linux and GNOME (if you can call it that), is that source code is available and you can compile your own version, if you feel inclined to learn to do so. Even the Linux kernel can be compiled with special features added. It isn't easy, but it's possible. The disadvantage is that you'll end up being the sole user and maintainer of your special version of desktop Linux and it may be difficult to get community support when things go wrong.

There are literally dozens of distributions ("distros") of Linux available, and if the Ubuntu version no longer meets your needs, consider another version. Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian Linux, and there are quite a few other Debian-derivatives, such as Linux Mint. If you want to move at a slower pace, consider Debian. The whole reason for Ubuntu was that some users thought Debian was issuing updates too infrequently. It's a two-edged sword rapid deployment of changes and features with frequent new bugs, or more stable environment with fewer changes and possibly having to wait longer to get bugs fixed.

dniMretsaM
April 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
GNOME 2 is dead. Well, it will be eventually. So, all existing GNOME 2 users are forced to either embrace Ubuntu's Unity (which to me seems to be designed for tablets), or get some loving from GNOME 3's GNOME Shell.

Those 2 options are NOT choice. To re-iterate, GNOME 2 has been terminated. So what options are there left for the GNOME 2 user? My bet is on the MATE Desktop Environment and Cinnamon. Both of these projects are well presented on Linux Mint and LMDE. If you need GNOME 2 badly like I do, research on where you can get MATE or Cinnamon. Very likely, your search will lead you to "LMDE 201204 RC".

You're right. GNOME 3 or Unity isn't really that much of a choice. That's why you can also pick KDE, or LXDE, or XFCE, or IceWM, or Awesome, or XMonad, or Pytyle, or Fluxbox, or plain old X11, or Blackbox, or Rat Poison, or CLI-only, or Sawfish etc. etc. Also following your logic, no version of any piece of software should ever be done away with. We'd all still be stuck using the original GNOME. And the original Ubuntu. Or, if you want to go really far, Linux wouldn't exist at all. Keeping old software around forever is neither practical for the developers nor beneficial to the users. Change happens. You can either live with that change happily, live with that change grumpily, or continue using old stuff (which is what your doing by using Ubuntu 8.04.x). You're choice.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
you can always use the mate-desktop it is a fork of gnome2
i think i will be using that at least until one of the others work for me (i need certain gnome2 applets)
one day cinnamon might met my needs or xfce (xf-applet just needs updating possibility to use mate applets)

wolfen69
April 24th, 2012, 04:42 AM
It is just a buggy PITA.

Hmmm. Not for me, ever.

But anyway, I'm sure I could find someone just like you on every forum, with a post like yours. EVERY SINGLE DISTRO FORUM.

And you know what people always come back with as a response? Look at all the problems I see here on the forums/I'm just basing it on my experience. Either way, that's far from empirical data. First off, if all the people on the forums were a huge slice of the total number of people who use ubuntu, then you would have a case. And secondly, basing something on one's own experience means very little, unless you've installed ubuntu on a myriad of hardware configurations. (which I have)

Who thinks ubuntu is buggy, you? Who thinks fedora is buggy? Or Opensuse? I'm sure I can find 100's of posts that state the same thing you just did. But means very little in the grand scheme of things.

iponeverything
April 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Who thinks ubuntu is buggy, you?

unity is not ubuntu. Your inability to differentiate is itself telling.

Tombgeek
April 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Personally, I'm not against Canonical adopting its own interface; I do believe that Unity does have some potential. However, I personally find that it makes me unproductive. I hate the dock being on the left and I hate the global menu bar. If I wanted that, I'd be using a Mac.

I will give Unity another chance with 12.04, but if I'm still displeased with it, I'll move to Xubuntu.

Paddy Landau
April 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
why is ubuntu going to the mobile sector ... unity is just awful it's buggy and slow...
Trolling or serious?

If you don't like Ubuntu for Android, don't get it. (It hasn't been released to the public yet, anyway, but it looks just amazing (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)!)

If you don't like Unity, use Xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org/), Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu), Mint (http://linuxmint.com/), or any other distro.

If your computer is old and slow to cannot cope with Unity, use Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu), Bodhi (http://bodhilinux.com/) or any other small distro.

I can't imagine how many hardcore CLI computer users are angry at the introduction of GUI, since the GUI merely dumbs down the desktop for newbies, while old school users lose the power of the CLI
ROFL -- too right! :lol:

Heck, why are we using desktops? Mainframes rule! :biggrin:

MisterGaribaldi
April 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM

He will join us or die. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyxwJ_cqNZ4&feature=related)

alexfish
April 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Unity, in my opinion, is a step backwards. It has fewer options than other DEs and I find it more complicated and less organized.

POLLS AND POLLS APART

Which Linux Distro Is Fairest of Them All? Ubuntu, Survey Says

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/software/3353871/which-linux-distro-is-fairest-of-them-all-ubuntu-survey-says/ :lolflag:

whatthefunk
April 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
POLLS AND POLLS APART

Which Linux Distro Is Fairest of Them All? Ubuntu, Survey Says

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/software/3353871/which-linux-distro-is-fairest-of-them-all-ubuntu-survey-says/ :lolflag:

Specifically, Ubuntu and its variants claimed slightly more than 51 percent of the overall vote, the publication reported, followed by Linux Mint, with almost 16 percent.
:lolflag:

TeamRocket1233c
April 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
You CAN go in whatever direction you want right? Don't like a full Ubuntu install, go with either Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu, or do a Ubuntu minimal install and put whatever DE or WM you want on it. One of the many beauties of Ubuntu and Linux in general, due to being free/open-source, is you're not stuck with whatever desktop is given to you, unlike with Windows or Mac, in which you're stuck with the desktop environment that Microsoft or Apple gives you.

Heck, even Solaris allows you to use GNOME and stuff, and it's closed-source.

TeamRocket1233c
April 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Also, they HAVE a GNOME 2 fork: MATE.

TeamRocket1233c
April 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Not going in your direction does not make it going in the wrong direction.

Agreed. Don't like Unity or GNOME Shell, don't use it.

Mathor
April 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I don't think saying "if you don't like it, leave" is such a crazy response. Linux has choices. You can go to wherever or whatever you like. Ubuntu is a very large community (like Fedora or Debian or Mint) that feels strongly about a certain Linux flavor/experience. The community are the testers and the developers and the users who have spent time making Ubuntu what it was then and what it is now. If Unity was not what the majority of the community wanted, then it would not be so. If you don't feel this is for you, there is nothing wrong with joining up with a community/distro that fits your needs.

But I think Unity is AMAZING. :guitar: