PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is ubuntu 12.04 LTS server beta production ready

mitjab
April 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I need to install ubuntu on server and i don't know if is 12.04 LTS server beta production enough stable or is better to use 11.10 server version and later upgrade it?

darkod
April 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
A Beta by definition can not be production ready.

I don't know if you can wait one week, but it gets released on April 26th and doing a clean install is always better than installing 11.10 now and upgrading after only a week.

Things can go wrong during the upgrade.

HugoSerrano
April 20th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Like Darkod sayd. Beta it's Beta! :-D

If you will implement a new system, and you can wait... it's better to wait! Clean install are always better! :-)

If you can't wait, and if it's not a mission critical server, you can go with Beta, but it's really up to you!

Regards!

ultner
April 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hello,

I would recommend 10.04 LTS, then normally a new release, even if a LTS releas, is not so stable then the previous LTS.

If you whish the 12.04, then prepare the server to make an update very easily, like more partitions etc...

(I work on 8.04 LTS server since 3 years, without update, without reboot the server)

~markus

Jonathan L
April 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I need to install ubuntu on server and i don't know if is 12.04 LTS server beta production enough stable or is better to use 11.10 server version and later upgrade it?

If it's a real production system I'd recommend 10.04.4 Long Term Support if you can't wait; if you're a sceptical old goat like me you might even wait until 12.04.1 before using the new one.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

dharmavir
April 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
How about if someone wants to install 12.04 beta and update it from beta to final release. Will it be as risky as upgrading from 11.10?

Jonathan L
April 22nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi

install 12.04 beta and update it from beta to final release. Will it be as risky as upgrading from 11.10?

In general, the risk is a function of the amount of difference between the start and end points. Approaches to upgrading vary considerably, from those who like continuous small upgrades/updates, to those who like to install fresh from cold each time. It depends which risks you are worried about, and what resources you have.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

darkod
April 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
How about if someone wants to install 12.04 beta and update it from beta to final release. Will it be as risky as upgrading from 11.10?

The way I see it is:
12.04 is still in Beta stage. It IS NOT production ready. That means you should only install it as a test system, not a production system.

If it's a test system, there should be no problem doing a clean install over it when 12.04 is released.
Or you can try an upgrade and it doesn't really matter if it works or not, since it's a test system anyway.

On the other hand, if you insist to install a production system with a Beta, the choice is yours... All recommendations are against.