PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple Sites & Apache

jonedney
April 18th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is kind of an Apache question, but everyone has been so helpful here, I wanted to ask here before I went onto the Apache community.

I recently setup Apache on an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system, and have set it up to handle 3 different domains (using Virtual Hosts). I have the DNS of my domain in question (jonedney.me) hosted elsewhere and an A record pointing to my VPS IP. What I am running into now, is that A record propagated properly, but it points my domain to the main www directory; it isn't recognizing that the domain should be accessing another folder to display the proper content.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Jon Edney

mrgs
April 18th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Moved to the server forum.

sj1410
April 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM
http://www.techpage3.com/2011/01/hosting-multiple-websites-with-apache.html

jonedney
April 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hello,

Great tutorial. I followed it and received this when I reloaded Apache.

root@jonedneycreative:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
* Reloading web server config apache2 [Wed Apr 18 20:46:15 2012] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
[ OK ]

Additionally, going to the specified domain still pulls content from the default www directory.

Thank you,
Jon Edney

jonedney
April 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Additionally, I'm considering re-installing and configuring Apache, so it's a clean config for VirtualHosts.

Jon

SeijiSensei
April 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Are you asking how to point domain.name to a different location on your server than www.domain.name?

If so, just make sure you have an A record for the base domain name that points to your server's IP address and create separate VHost definitions with "ServerName domain.name" and "ServerName www.domain.name". Make sure these definitions don't include a ServerAlias that points to the other name.

jonedney
April 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hello!

What I did was the following:

mkdir /var/www/www.jonedney.me
mkdir /var/www/www.jonedney.me/www
mkdir /var/www/www.jonedney.me/cgi-bin
mkdir /var/www/www.jonedney.me/logs

Then I created a sites-available document for my site.

vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/www.jonedney.me

And it looks like this

<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin sysadmin@jonedneycreative.com
ServerName www.jonendey.me
ServerAlias jonedney.me

# Indexes + Directory Root.
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
DocumentRoot /var/www/www.jonedney.me/www/

# CGI Directory
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/www.jonedney.me/cgi-bin/
<Location /cgi-bin>
Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

# Logfiles
ErrorLog /var/www/www.jonedney.me/logs/error.log
CustomLog /var/www/www.jonedney.me//logs/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

Then I enabled the site and restarted Apache

a2ensite www.jonedney.me
service apache2 restart

Currently, I have an A record pointing my Domain to my VPS IP, and the domain is working properly, but it's pulling '/var/www/' instead of 'var/www/www.jonedney.me/www' as defined in the VirtualHost.

Thank you,
Jon Edney

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Do you have a NameVirtualHost directive in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf? I have a clean version of apache2, and that directive isn't included there.

Edit apache2.conf and place

NameVirtualHost *:80

above the "Include sites-enabled/" directive. Don't do this, read on.

In /etc/apache2/ports.conf, you'll see the declaration "NameVirtualHost *:80". That tells apache2 to use name-based virtual hosting for requests matching "*:80". You need to edit your virtual host definitions to match that pattern like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
stuff
</VirtualHost>

then restart apache. (Note that you must include the port specification for name-based virtual hosting.)

jonedney
April 19th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Hello,

Thanks for your post with some direction. I've made the following changes, to receive the same problem.

# Include the virtual host configurations:
NameVirtualHost *:80
Include sites-enabled/

And then I altered my sites-available/www.jonedney.me to:

<VirtualHost *:80>
Stuff
</VirtualHost>

Then restarted Apache, received this error on restart, and then the same error of redirection:

* Reloading web server config apache2
[Thu Apr 19 04:00:58 2012] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts

Thank you,
Jon Edney

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I made a mistake when I told you to add the NameVirtualHost directive to apache2.conf. It turns out that declaration is already loaded in the /etc/apache2/ports.conf file included from apache2.conf. That redundancy causes the warning you saw reported, so if you remove that statement and restart, you shouldn't see the warning any more. I confirmed this by running a simple apache2 instance and adding then deleting the redundant NameVirtualHost directive.

Even though you get the warning your virtual hosts should now work correctly. To be sure, I ran a test parallel to yours where I created a new configuration in /sites-availble/ with a ServerName declaration and a custom DocumentRoot, and a symbolic link to that configuration in /sites-enabled/. I left the Ubuntu defaults /sites-available/default and /sites-enabled/001-default alone. Then I restarted apache2.

I get the expected result when I use a browser. If I enter a URL with the ServerName I get the custom site. If I connect to localhost or one of the machine's IP addresses, I get the Ubuntu default page at /var/www/index.html.

Your original configuration didn't work because you used

<VirtualHost *>
which didn't match the "*:80" pattern. In that case Apache returns the default page and not your custom index. Now that you have *:80 in your <VirtualHost> container, you should get the index of DirectoryRoot when you request ServerName (or any existing ServerAlias entries).

Hope that makes sense! If not, ask me again.

jonedney
April 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hello!

Interesting, I think I must be missing something somewhere; I've got to be missing something somewhere.

I removed the 'NameVirtualHost' line from apache2.conf, and ensured that my 'sites-available/www.jonedney.me' has <VirtualHost *:80>, and then restarted Apache. I didn't get an error message, but going to the domain still pulls content from '/var/www' and not '/var/www/www.jonedney.me/www' as I specified in the VirtualHost settings as document root for that domain name.

Frustrating!

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Something isn't matching correctly then. Perhaps your using http://server/ as the URL and you only have "ServerName server.domain.name" defined in the <VirtualHost> stanza? If so, add a "ServerAlias server" directive as well.

What do you see in /var/log/apache2? How about those custom logs you defined in <VirtualHost>?

jonedney
April 19th, 2012, 08:47 PM
First of all, I appreciate all of your help in your posts for this Ubuntu newbie here.

As I was going to double-check things, I noticed something simple that I didn't even consider checking: jonedney.me directs to the proper location, while www.jonedney.me doesn't. This don't make sense to me.

Jon

newbie-user
April 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM
What you could do is set up a wildcard for your domain *.jonedney.me on whatever DNS service you use and point it to a CNAME record for your domain.

Alternatively, you could set up a sites-available file with ServerName www.jonedney.me and point that to the correct ServerRoot.

Or, like SeijiSensei said, add a ServerAlias.

jonedney
April 20th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Hello!

I wasn't aware I could have 2 server alias! When I had 'ServerAlias jonedney.me' I didn't know I could add a second.

ServerAlias jonedney.me www.jonedney.me

Did the trick!

I think I'll enjoy the fact that it works for a day, and then move on to try and get a mail server set up!

Thanks for the guidance!
Jon Edney