PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Possible to share an external USB drive through FTP?

JD32
April 17th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I got an old desktop i want to put to use as file server. I'm pretty familiar with FTP and all but i could never figure out how to get an external drive to share. I have a 1TB external drive id like to use instead of buying a new drive. The external drive has an eSATA and a 2.0 USB hook up. Is it possible for me to share this drive as an external drive over VSFTP as a usb hook up? or should i just get an eSATA to IDE converter and just run it as my main drive?

Any opinions would be nice. I know somebodies gonna say "why not use samba?" well i want to be able to access it over the internet through my domain

bubylou
April 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Let me first start by saying i would not recommend using ftp. I would recommend that you use a much more secure file sharing service (SFTP) via openssh. You most likely have already installed it to use ssh. From there you could simply allow your users access to wherever your drive is mounted. (/media/"drive") Have you accessed the drive locally before?

JD32
April 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM
yeah i know but i wasn't to worried about security since its all just movies, music and if they want to steal my homework lol... i havent been able to get the drive to share even locally through FTP no

JD32
April 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
i guess it wouldn't hurt to use SFTP though, is the setup any similar to FTP, easy to configure?

bubylou
April 18th, 2012, 01:12 AM
SFTP requires almost no configuration. Really depends on how much security you want and how you want to implements it. If you already have openssh install and working the way you want then there isn't really much else that needs to be done.

JD32
April 18th, 2012, 03:33 AM
well i dont have openshh installed and running yet, will be my first venture into SSH, will i be able to share my external drive through SSH?

bubylou
April 18th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Yes and you can use it to remotely administer your server.

JD32
April 18th, 2012, 04:44 AM
ic, any good how to's on this you know about?

memilanuk
April 18th, 2012, 05:07 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH