PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network monitoring

ParrSt
April 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I have one physical machine running ubuntu desktop as a KVM virtual host. On this machine are three virtual machines running ubuntu server. A web server, file server and email server. I want to monitor network usage for current bandwidth, historical and cumulative. I also want to be able to monitor CPU load and HD capacity. I also want to get email alerts if any of these fall out of specified ranges.

I tried to set up Munin on the web server but never could get it to display a page. Not sure if that had anything to do with the virtual environment or not.

Any suggestions? Or should I try Munin again?

Bob

d4m1r
April 15th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I have a Ubuntu server using OpenVZ so not KVM, but it has SolusVM which is free AFAIK it works great.

It also has graphs for network/cpu/ram usage based on times (1 week view, 6 hour view, etc).

Another option is Webmin or DirectAdmin for managing Ubuntu servers but I don't know if they have network monitoring tools specifically.

bradjohnsten
April 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Depending on your network setup, Zenoss has some pretty cool stuff using SNMP monitoring. You can monitor you network and devices and get alerts when defined events happen. They have an community supported version.

http://community.zenoss.org/index.jspa

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I've run ntop on gateway routers; it's pretty easy to set up and provides extensive information via a web interface. I'd imagine it could be run on a VM host to monitor usage by the guests just as well.

Habitual
April 19th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Bob:

I'd try Munin again.
Maybe we can help you get that up and running easier than learning whole new package?

Network Usage can be monitored in various ways with various tools. Most rely upon snmp or an agent of some kind installed on the target.

mikaelcrocker
April 19th, 2012, 06:52 PM
munin has trends and such and all your listed requirements, you can also create alarms and email notifications. Also fairly easy to setup